The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Scalibor - new flea and tick collar?

Anyone use it? It's supposed to last for 5 to 6 months, costs only $40 at my vet and replaces Frontline (which is much more expensive).

Any experiences? Good or bad?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

A rep gave me one a couple days ago to try. I can't say much about it yet, as the ticks are not out in full force yet, and supposedly it can take a couple weeks to become fully effective anyway. No problems though, and it does not have an offensive odor like some of the old ones did.

Thought I'd report back... over the 1.5 weeks that he has had the collar on, I have found 4 dead ticks on his dog bed, and no live ticks on him (though they must have been on him long enough to catch a ride and die). Thumbs up so far!

I am VERY excited about them! New pesticides that the US ticks aren't immune to yet!

My only concern is the warning about cats. The only specific thing I can find is "warning about cats who are close proximity to dogs." What does 'close proximity" mean My cat and dogs share beds from time to time, but not together. I googled Permethrin Toxicosis in cats and it scared the crap out of me!
    Anyone have any more information about cats who live in the same house with dogs??
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

The rep said that the cat would have to rub on the collar to be potentially effected. I personally wasn't too worried about it, as my two house cats never snuggle with the dogs. If the cats and dogs did sleep together or groom each other I would be more concerned though...

Oh, excellent. I will order a couple for the doggies, without fear of poisoning Mr. Kitty.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

However, if it's anything like K9 Advantix's toxicity, I'd be very careful. My one cat decided to rub up against my dog after the Advantix was applied - probably somewhere around 12 hours after application. We came home from being at church and the cat was seizuring on the floor.

So even after being applied properly and waiting 12 hours (was applied late the evening before after cats were locked up for the night), my one cat was still exposed and reacted to it. She recovered just fine, FWIW, but I'll no longer use Advantix (even thought it seemed to work better then Frontline and that was not the first time I had used it on the dog).

I guess I'd still be careful though - especially if there is a warning about cats being in close proximity. Definitely love the idea of a new "drug/chemical" that the US ticks/mosquitoes/fleas aren't used to and there for not immune to, just wish it wouldn't be toxic to cats.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Er. Now I'm alll worried again!

The vet told me to put it under their collar. My two don't hang with the barn cat...so that's really not a problem, but I do worry about them chewing on each other's collars. They play rough!

Has anyone tried the Walmart version of Frontline? The ads say it's the same thing....
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I asked one of my vets about this yesterday when I took my dog in and he refused to get me one and pretty much scolded me for even thinking about it. He feels that they are way too potent to be used and thinks there will be issues with them after they have been out a bit longer. They received samples and he said that it just wasn't a product he was comfortable offering to his clientele. My dog's regular vet was out of the office yesterday, so we saw this vet instead. He's not my first choice, obviously, because he lacks proper people skills, but he does very well by the animals. Has anyone else's vet been reluctant about this product?
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

You don't need to get one from the vet. You can order them from any pet supply place.

http://www.petsupplies4less.com/Scal...borFleaColloar

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Anyone use it? It's supposed to last for 5 to 6 months, costs only $40 at my vet and replaces Frontline (which is much more expensive).

Any experiences? Good or bad?
    I'm a vet assistant, and from what I remember being told by our rep, Scalibor works on ticks only, so if you also have issues with fleas, you'll need to continue using Frontline/Advantage/Comfortis, etc.
    Life-long horse lover, dreaming of the day when I have one of my very own.

As an RVT, I will relate my concerns. 1st - feline toxicity. 2nd - the smell. If a dog's sense of smell is 40,000 times greater than ours and the things make me nautious, I can't imagine how miserable the dog is at the chemical smell. 3rd - other pet toxicity - we have seen dogs who chew other dog's flea collars in play etc.

FWIW - buy the largest, cheapest flea collar that you can and stick it in your vacuum cleaner bag so that when you cuck up microscopic flea eggs, they are killed.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

We don't really have fleas in the Northeast like the southern or warmer states. What we are infested with are ticks of all kinds - deer ticks, wood ticks, any variety of tick you care to name. They have become immune to frontline and even the Preventic tick collars, so a new pesticide might keep them at bay for a couple of years.

Such a dilemma! Bad for cats/no ticks/smells awful (?)

The brand has been in Europe for several years and they are cautious about medications, so I'm sure it's safe when used properly. I'm still worried about the cat, though.

We often shave a spot on the underside of the neck for Preventic collars so it's a sure thing that it gets direct skin contact... would that same apply for these collars?

No, the directions say you should be able to fit a couple of fingers under the collar. I think it ends up permeating the hair, not the skin.

Here is the manufacturer's website, Intervet:

http://www.intervetusa.com/products/.../overview.aspx

It is labeled for fleas too.

FYI, my dog sleeps in bed with me, and I have not noticed his Scalibor collar smelling at all, so it must not be that strong of an odor.

titianmom Guest

Lurker here,

THe Scalibor collar I have for my dog is only for ticks. We have had to take it off after only about a week. His neck is raw, blood red with some sores on it; must be the tick collar.

And yes, we had it on loose enough.

Kim