The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Talking ARTICLE: World's Worst Hound!

http://web.orange.co.uk/article/quir...st_hunting_dog

A bungling beagle has been branded the world's worst hunting dog after failing to spot a fox trotting along behind him.

The hapless hound had strayed too close to a den containing four cute fox cubs.
    But their protective parents were not going to be hounded out without standing their ground.

The foxes shot off through the undergrowth to confront the hound, but, amazingly, the male fox ended up behind the dog.

Naturalist and photographer Mircea Costina captured the amazing scene in a forest north of Montreal, Canada.

He said: "I have been watching this one fox family for three years since 2008. This year they had four little pups and the two parents are very protective.

"This one day, around 7am, I was close to their den, trying to take some pictures. Suddenly the two parents became very agitated.

"In the next moments I heard a dog barking. The male looked to try and see the intruder while the female attempted to pursue him.

"The dog was getting very close to the den when the male saw the hound and started tracking it.

"Luckily the dog gave up and finally left and the family remained safe. I think he was more interested in the game of smelling the fox trace. The master recovered the dog and put him on a leash.

"It was the first time in my life when I saw foxes so brave and who managed to fight back against a hunting dog to defend their pups with their life. An unforgettable story!"
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

That is great

Default wow

what a neat picture! lol- silly beagle
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

Talking

We will have to ask Melvin Poe at the hound show about this one.. at the very least, there will be a good yarn among the huntsmen..
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Give the little guy a break. Beagles hunt rabbits... Can you imagine the look on his face if he had turned around??
    We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!

And they are not sight hounds :-)

The beagle looks like he spends most of his time hunting a food bowl or
    a couch ;-)

As has been noted, beagles (and foxhounds) hunt by scent,and indeed in the picture that beagle is working his nose- so yeah, they have no idea what it 'looks' like. The look on a young hound's face, first time it sees what it's been smelling all that time, is in my experience a priceless bug-eyed, jaw- dropped expression. And more than once I've seen a fox and hound pop up nose to nose in heavy briars, fox says 'oops,' hound says 'huh?' and after a few nanoseconds the fox does indeed jump over the hound, sometimes, if that's the best escape route.

Hunting out west, not at all uncommon to look back behind first flight or second flight and see a coyote tagging along, watching the show.

LMAO priceless!
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Hey -no fair!!!

Peanut is outraged. She informs you all that the animal pictured is, in fact, nothing more than a House Beagle.

It is a lesser mortal, and any comparison to a Real Beagle (aka Peanut) is simply unacceptable.

So sayeth Peanut - and utter her name in awed, respectful whispers please. She's napping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peanut.GIF 
Views:	93 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	32901  
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I bow to Peanut!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Beagles should have absolutely no interest in a fox (unless he is being threatened by one) - that's a good beagle.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Absolutely priceless picture! Poor thing but LOL.
    Last edited by Leprechaun; Jun. 23, 2011 at 10:08 AM.

As those of us with beagles know, it is all about the scent with them. When a beagle is on the trail it is oblivious to everything else. They are not really out to catch and kill the game, they just love following the scent. If you ever get a chance, go watch a brace beagle field trial. They are a hoot. Its take a step, bark, take a step, bark, come to a check, have a brief consultation to determine direction, the step, bark, etc. Dachshund field trials are also run in braces but dachsies are much faster and less accurate trackers than beagles. Dachshunds are killers at heart and deep down in their little short legged bodies truly believe if they run hard enough and long enough they will be able to catch and eat the rabbit.