The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dk Coated Bolero Stallions

It's raining, I'm bored and already thinking 2 yrs ahead on stallions for one (or both) of my Hanoverian mares. Both have Batido as a damsire.

I would like to try a linebreeding to Bolero, but I really don't want to do the chestnut thing (both my mares are solid chestnut's -- ZERO white) unless the stallion is loaded with chrome & tends to pass it on.

So -- NA stallions preferred(would consider frozen if VERY proven); dark color preferred; Bolero up as close as possible preferred.

And of course we are talking a dressage performer/producer here.

Any ideas?

Banter - is there frozen? I can think of many more available fresh that are chestnut

Bergamon, if there is frozen, he was not by Bolero himself though. Then Bugatti Hilltop, but he is several generations down.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head...
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Black Tie
    Bergamon
    Bugatti Hilltop

Bored too. I never respond to these type of threads <LOL>. Usually too busy. I desperately need to be able to move again :P
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Brentano II is chestnut but "does"have a little bit of bling
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

We had a thread on here not too long ago about stallions with Bolero in the past few generations.

You don’t say which registry you are interested in, but here are the ones in NA that are approved and currently activated by OHBS/GOV –
    Benidetto (chestnut with chrome)
    Bonheur (chestnut with some chrome)
    Bravo (chestnut with some chrome)
    Bugatti (black, minimal chrome)
    Don Caruso (chestnut, minimal chrome)
    Falsterbo (chestnut with chrome)
    Ramzes SF (bay with some chrome)
    Rienzi (chestnut with some chrome)

So if you don't want chestnut, you may have to take your chances with Bugatti and Ramzes. Bugatti carries the red gene, though. Not sure about Ramzes (and I think he may only be available via frozen.)
    Last edited by DownYonder; May. 25, 2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: correction

I asked about Bolero lines because I have a Batido son who is Mr. Elastic. He is bay out of a chestnut mare, btw.

This Hanoverian stallion is by Sandro Hit so I'm guessing he'd throw dark coats, and he has the B line on the bottom side.

http://www.sheerblackstallionser.com/index.html

DG Bar has a Batido mare in the mare band. You could see what stallions they've used with her, though probably not line breeding. But check.

Linda Hackney, last owner of Batido, has a daughter. She bred her to Rubino Bellimiso.

Bugatti is black, not bay. I have a black 5yo by him. I also have 3 bays and a chestnut. The bay comes from my chestnut mare who carries one copy of Agouti. Bugatti carries black and chestnut. His offspring are beautiful, elegant, friendly, great movers, really competitive and easy. And I have another one due in the next couple of weeks.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

I had a colt by Black Tie in 2009. It had so much presence. I sold him for very little as I was having personal issues, and I've regretted ever since.

I used him on a hunter-type mare, so I got a huntery foal, but I can tell that had he been used on a dressage-type mare, it would have MOVED.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Benetton Dream - he is dark bay
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Foals 2014: Black filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    Black colt Likoto xx - Florencio - Prince Thatch xx

Half Moon Bertoni is a dark bay Bolero grandson, out of a Lungau mare so 3/4 blood to Brentina and Barclay. He is competing at GP and his son has competed at the Junior European Championships.

http://www.hanoverian.co.uk/stallion/half-moon-bertoni

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable View Post
    I asked about Bolero lines because I have a Batido son who is Mr. Elastic. He is bay out of a chestnut mare, btw.

This Hanoverian stallion is by Sandro Hit so I'm guessing he'd throw dark coats, and he has the B line on the bottom side.

http://www.sheerblackstallionser.com/index.html

DG Bar has a Batido mare in the mare band. You could see what stallions they've used with her, though probably not line breeding. But check.

Linda Hackney, last owner of Batido, has a daughter. She bred her to Rubino Bellimiso.
    Funny you should mention SH -- I was wondering if there were any SH sons with Bolero as a dam sire.

And one of my Batido (damsire) mares is also by Rubino Bellisimo -- was his 2nd foal ever! I bred to him just months after he came into America....after spending a zillion dollars trying to get the Batido mare in foal with Brentano II semen.

This is the Rubino/Batido mare (after about 45 days u/s with Jessica Wisdom) during a brief time when I was going sell her...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmGztGTKZzM

She's been a lovely producer for me...again Rubino did not influence her much physically, although she has the "R" personality. But her foals have more of that look. And she gives that easy-going, people-loving, "let's hang out" personality to every foal.

Bugatti Hilltop has been on my list forever -- I just wish he had Bolero alittle closer up. Of course I'm sure my mare would throw a solid chestnut....

Dutch breeders accept getting chestnut babies by Jazz. They breed to him in droves.

Color preferences are okay but a good horse has no color.

Oldenburg and Trakehner verbands seem to tilt towards dark in their stallion selections, but what would the KWPN and Hano have done without Jazz and Weltmeyer, respectively. And the Holsteiners with their greys.

Breeders shoot themselves in the foot by perpetuating color bias.

Off my soapbox now.

Bolero is the grandsire of our stallion Beste Gold. Here is his Pedigree. The mareline is very good, with many Elite mares, and the stallion Gold Luck from it.

Of course, he is chestnut, sabino, and many of his foals get the sabino. He consistently throws the mare body color, and those who don't get the sabino tend to have darker chestnut legs,mane,and tail - and many are liver.
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

Quote Originally Posted by Oakstable View Post
    Dutch breeders accept getting chestnut babies by Jazz. They breed to him in droves.

Color preferences are okay but a good horse has no color.

Oldenburg and Trakehner verbands seem to tilt towards dark in their stallion selections, but what would the KWPN and Hano have done without Jazz and Weltmeyer, respectively. And the Holsteiners with their greys.

Breeders shoot themselves in the foot by perpetuating color bias.

Off my soapbox now.
    But when you deny a very real part of the market you are ALSO shooting yourself in the foot!

I agree in theory with you, but the REALITY is that a solid chestnut (heaven forbid it is a filly!) foal is hardest to sell...at least in my experience.

And at this point, almost all of my foals would be produced for the market. Not that I would turn away a chestnut with lots of chrome for either of my mares (neither of which have ONE white hair), but I WOULD walk away from another solid chestnut.

My guess is that stallion would not be the ONLY good fit for the mare(s), so why not find one who fits and might give you the color you want?

You don't always have to give up one to get the other, you know.

Lots of nice stallions on this list...I hadn't really caught Ser Gioveto before...he is quite nice, as are many of the others, like I said.....

Color should NEVER be the be-all/end-all, but it's always a consideration in there somewhere.

Ser Gioveto could be an option for the OP - I believe he is approved by AHS and ISR/ONA (not OHBS/GOV as her website indicates, although could possibly be eligible for a breeding allowance).

Allbreedpedigree lists his dam as chestnut, though, so you would still have a 50% chance of a red foal with your chestnut mares.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki View Post
    Bugatti is black, not bay.
    Thanks, I knew that but apparently my fingers didn't.

There is a chestnut Don Schufro x Bolero stallion in LA at Oak Hill.

Don Caruso

Not much chrome.

You'd get the Bolero up close, tho.

Balletmeister:
    http://www.stall-stampehl.de/index.php?id=22

Same damline as Wolkentanz I and II (mother is full sister).