The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Post foaling colic or First Foal Heat?*UPDATE*Update#2

My mare is 5 days post foaling and for the past day or 2 has looked and acted a bit dull and quiet-although she still has her appetite and is eating all of her meals/hay,drinking,peeing/pooping she just looks like she doesn't feel well-temp is normal,she does have some discharge from the vulva but the vet told me that is normal discharge after foaling...last night during night check she was standing in the corner,pawing a little bit,would park out,urinate,paw some more,pass some discharge,then lay down and groan a little...baby was jumping all over her so she would get back up...this went on for about 15min-1/2hr ...so i then gave her some banamine and w/ in minutes she was brighter,and happily eating her hay

i'm wondering what the cause could be for this as she's been fine up until this point...she might be getting close to her first foal heat...could that be making her uncomfortable enough to feel colicky?....i'm sure it also doesn't help much that she hasn't gotten out in a few days due to the weather and thunderstorms

One of my mares does this with foal heat. Really scared me the first time it happened...pawing, flehmen response (lip-lifting), rapid resp., but good bowel sounds, normal temp, and passing manure just fine...but very uncomfortable.

As per my vet, I gave her banamine, and 30-40 min. later, she was feeling much better. She has done the same thing with each of her three foal-heats, and once with the onset of her first true heat of the season.

I have the gut feeling that if I had missed the onset of her discomfort, the distress may have triggered a bigger problem. She is a very fertile mare, and not a sissy about anything at all...really a noble girl.

The discharge part does not sound normal to me, but I am not the most experienced.

Be careful with banamine though, it can be "too efficient" for this type of situation. In other words, it WILL hide important symptoms. If you are to use it, don't use a full dose.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by EquusMagnificus View Post
    The discharge part does not sound normal to me, but I am not the most experienced.
    Discharge post foaling is TOTALLY normal. Remember they just kicked out a HUGE foal and that uterus has lots of inflammation going on. So even a significant amount of discharge the first week doesn't concern me unless there are other symptoms accompanying it - temperature, discharge has a foul smell, etc.
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Quote Originally Posted by selah View Post
    One of my mares does this with foal heat. Really scared me the first time it happened...pawing, flehmen response (lip-lifting), rapid resp., but good bowel sounds, normal temp, and passing manure just fine...but very uncomfortable.

As per my vet, I gave her banamine, and 30-40 min. later, she was feeling much better. She has done the same thing with each of her three foal-heats, and once with the onset of her first true heat of the season.

I have the gut feeling that if I had missed the onset of her discomfort, the distress may have triggered a bigger problem. She is a very fertile mare, and not a sissy about anything at all...really a noble girl.

I lost a mare on her foal heat to colic, she had always been one to be uncomfortable during her heat cycle.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

I lost a mare three weeks post foaling to a torsion colic. My vet said it was quite common with maiden mares as there was lots of room left as things shrunk back to normal. I am now paranoid about colic signs. (More paranoid I should say)

Quote Originally Posted by Molly Malone View Post
    I lost a mare three weeks post foaling to a torsion colic. My vet said it was quite common with maiden mares as there was lots of room left as things shrunk back to normal. I am now paranoid about colic signs. (More paranoid I should say)
    That's not particularly uncommon in multi-parous mares, either. But typically it's in the first week or so. By 2 weeks post foaling, most mares are back to almost their pre-pregnancy "shape"...one of the few mammals that are and actually quite amazing when you think about it.
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

When in doubt, call your vet. I would be concerned if I saw any colic symptoms at all in a 5 day post foaling mare. I lost a mare to a twisted colon in 2005 and learned that banamine can mask a big problem. I also had a mare display similar symptoms in 2004. She had a tiny tag left behind from the placenta. Repeated lavages put her right. I would definitely check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    Discharge post foaling is TOTALLY normal. Remember they just kicked out a HUGE foal and that uterus has lots of inflammation going on. So even a significant amount of discharge the first week doesn't concern me unless there are other symptoms accompanying it - temperature, discharge has a foul smell, etc.
    Glad to know it can be totally normal. Hence why I did say that I wasn't the most experienced. Glad to be in the left field!
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

I'm with Mary Lou - sounds too early for foal heat discomfort, and could signify retained placenta or colonic torsion. I also had a mare suffer colonic torsion - actually quite a bit after foaling. Symptoms were similar ...
    Good luck.

Default Update

So this morning mama appeared to be ok and comfortable....acted hungry-ate about 3/4 of her breakfast then started pawing, and then laid down/started groaning looking at belly....we walked mama and baby outside to their paddock...mom passed normal looking manure,then proceede to walk around and follow her baby...she laid down,rolled in the mud,then a good amount of discharge came out of her vulva...she got up and seemed to feel better.

When i brought her and baby back in the barn she started pawing again and laid down...not violent or thrashing...but clearly uncomfortable-slightly increased respiration and temp 100.5(still had banamine on board from last night-10hrs post banamine) so i called the vet and they came out-rectal was wnl,decreased GI sounds but present, ....so we tubed her-passed mineral oil/warm water w/ MgS04...gave additional 12cc's Banamine IV
    Did Vaginal exam w/ speculum-cervix wnl-yellow discharge-possible urine pooling? waiting on CBC and possible flush?

So...mama definitely appeared more comfortable and BAR when sedatives wore off....i'm now monitoring her manure output and just waiting for blood results...i'm keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome....my nerves are shot...she is just resting comfortably at the moment...and baby is doing great!

I had a mare with similar sounding symptoms as yours once, only mine starting acting depressed around day 3 post partum. On day 3 she laid down at an unusual time for her, even with lots of activity around. She acted a little colicy - not a "call the vet now" colic, but definitely NQR. Manure was passing just fine, temp and appetite were normal. I gave her banamine and chalked it up to things moving back in to place after having a pretty large foal. I checked her that night and she was fine. She ate her normal breakfast. Around noon on day 4, she was laying down again, groaning. I got her up and she laid back down. I started walking her while on the phone with the vet and couldn't keep her on her feet. About that time massive amounts of brown, nasty, thick discharge literally began streaming out of her vulva. We had the pair loaded and being examined in about 30 minutes. She had metritis and basically hadn't cleared everything out post foaling. She was lavaged several times, had antibiotics infused into her uterus, and put on oxytocin for a couple of days. Thankfully we caught it before she became systemically ill or started to founder. She was fine and bred on her 30 day heat. This mare and foal had not been turned out post foaling due to a variety of factors, and I wonder if that could have been part of it. I now try to get them out for at least a little bit on the first day even if the weather is bad. Good luck, jingles that it isn't a torsion colic. Been there, done that and I don't wish it on anyone.

Default Another Update

Mama is starting to feel and look better....passing manure,drinking, and looking/acting more like her bright/alert self again...started giving her succeed-vet said it couldn't hurt,really wet sloppy bran mashes w/ some Tractguard and so far so good...along w/ small amounts wet/soaked hay.

CBC came back wnl-fibrinogin was on high end of normal-vet said that could possibly be b/c not everything has cleaned/flushed out of her system yet...so we're continuing to monitor mama...and if the discharge doesn't stop or if symptoms come back we will do a flush/lavage after her first foal heat which usually happens by day 9...but new vet is hopeful that this will resolve on its own.

Was the placenta carefully examined by a knowledgeable person?

The initial vet never examined the placenta...i had it in a bucket waiting for him and several times mentioned examining it-but he never did....when i got the new vet i told her about everything-she examined it..and while it smelled foul from being a few days old-she said it was all there and looked to be good....she also gave my colt a liter of plasma due to 2 low then lower IgG levels which the first vet ignored and didn't seem alarmed about ..............thank god i went w/ my gut insticts and changed vets

Jingling that your mare continues to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    Thank you for posting this. My mare is 4 days post-foaling and has been having significant discharge.. like, multiple gooey puddles of it in her stall and paddock. Odourless, mare has no temperature and is acting completely normal. I read your post right after calling my vet and it gave me a lot comfort after an alarming discovery of the stuff!

Jingles for you, OP.

Default Another Update

We're at day 9 and we believe the first foal heat is approaching as mama is starting to look uncomfortable again and a bit on the dull side-she still has her appetite,is passing normal manure,and drinking/urinating normally but just looks like she doesn't feel great again....no fever....however when she got out this morning paw'd and rolled a couple times,then parked herself out lifted her tail a bit ,then urinated really yellow urine...then after that...went about quietly grazing while baby was bouncing around....back in her stall she seems fine...acted hungry,ate her breakfast and is now quietly eating her wet hay...drank and poop'd some more...so she seems to be ok....just have to keep an eye on her

The baby's IgG level came back above 800 yesterday!11 so that is a big sigh of relief...and he is as frisky and feeling good as ever! he does seem to be breathing a bit heavy-w/ nostrils flaring a little-seems more than usual but then again...its all of a sudden almost 90degrees out and the bugs are really bad...maybe that contributing to it...he's otherwise bright,alert,responsive,nursing,peeing/pooping and as ornerny as ever...his temp was 101.7...i believe up to 102 is wnl for a foal

I have never seen any of my mares show signs of discomfort or depression from their foal heat. Foals do not regulate heat well for the first 30 days of life. I would keep checking temps on mom and baby. It would not hurt to try to keep the foal out of the heat during the hottest part of the day if possible. Jingling for all...