The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'll try to get pictures of Winnie (Winifred) up this weekend.

All the doigs get along thanks to Cooper, our alpha dog. If the JRT is misbehaving, he actually picks her up by the scruff of her neck and removes her to a Time Out area. Too funny.
    One time she wanted to attack the vacuum hose and I had to tell him no-she's OK.

The boy dogs prefer to play fight with each other and act like total idiots.

Cooper was our first adoptee. Vet said he is an Aus. Cattle Dog mix-he is gold and white. Gorgeous dog and my gosh, we didn't even have to obedience train him. I really think these rescue dogs have no problem staying home and behaving because they cherish their home and love so much.

Cooper was the one I had in PerSmart (first time ever) and he received an invitation to attend a doggie day care because he was so well behaved. That's my boy!

How wonderful... You definitely did NOT come to the correct place to be talked out of this. Preaching to the choir. I have four dogs, two cats, three sheep, three horses, and six chickens. All except one is a rescue. Interestingly, we are down from our highs of six dogs, eight horses, five sheep and eight chickens. We are aging, with two kids in college, and are not replacing the oldies when thier time comes. I have to say, the chores go much faster...

Enjoy your new family member, and give your hubby a hug from all of us for being so supportive and big hearted.

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

yep, I know how ya feel. Between my roommates and I, we have 6 female dogs along with one female cat, 4 bunnies and one chukar partridge. All of which were pound puppies/rescues/running down the road.

And they are the most spoiled loved dogs on the planet. Wouldn't trade any of 'em for the world. Ok, well... maybe the husky/border collie cross when she's barking for no reason... Or when the sheltie's hoarding gets out of hand and she has everyone else's toys in HER bed.

If anyone gets out of line we just tell them we're going to send them back to the "bad place" (pound) ;-p I don't think anyone actually believes us though... lol.

(this of course does NOT work on the corgis, they assume they are royalty at all times.)
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

Winnie is home, has moved right in, sleeps on my head, and is driving the older dogs crazy. However :-) we have renamed her Noodles. She tucks herself into DH's arm and snoozes away.
    She ain't no fool. :0)

Quote Originally Posted by 3dogfarm View Post
    Winnie is home, has moved right in, sleeps on my head, and is driving the older dogs crazy. However :-) we have renamed her Noodles. She tucks herself into DH's arm and snoozes away.
    She ain't no fool. :0)
    Awesome, I have a dappled dachshund too. Dachshunds love to be covered by a blanket.

I do think she is a pure dappled dachshund, probably 10 months old-she def in in heat. She is skinny skinny skinny but a real live wire. Fearless, too, as I imagine most dachshunds are.
    Spay appt set up for the 14th.

I too need a self help group or a good therapist. I just "rescued" my seventh chihuahua. Four pounds of lovin to add to the other 35 pounds I already owned. Add that to a greyhound and two abandoned farm dogs and you will have an idea of my menagerie. There's a cat/dog in the mix too who is very species - confused. My oldest child truly thinks i am an animal hoarder without the mess, the poop piles, the fleas and the filth. Maybe i can start a new trend and be on TLC too - Clean Hoarding.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

I do think she is a pure dappled dachshund, probably 10 months old-she def in in heat. She is skinny skinny skinny but a real live wire. Fearless, too, as I imagine most dachshunds are.
    Spay appt set up for the 14th.

Good dachsies are supposed that way: Big dog in little body!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Moonriver-did you do a drive-by of our place? I try to keep it respectable...try is the key word here. Add the tornado from a month ago to the mix, 4 horses in the yard due to downed fencing--no wonder I go home and look at house plans and animal shelter sites! I couldn't cope otherwise.

DH has said for years we need a house with one big room, tiled, and a drain in the middle. That was before lots o' dogs.

Alagirl-gotta love them dachsies! She's decided not to bark so much at huge PerchX. All the horses ignore her so that helps.
    I just love her little pudgy legs. :-)

Geez, and Mom thinks I'm odd for wanting to swipe their newest barn cat and make him cat #4 (at least long enough to fatten him up. He's too skinny.) Of course, my cats might not be amenable to #4.

I love secondhand dogs. I have two. Old dogs are great. (Though I hope the T-storms hold off over the lake until I get home and can put Puff's thundershirt on--doesn't help much for car rides but it certainly seems to help him at least stay halfway calm during storms!)

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    what, no picture?
    (they are breeding wiener dogs with spots now...)
    They are called piebalds unless this one is a double dapple (which may have major health problems).
    We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona DQ View Post
    They are called piebalds unless this one is a double dapple (which may have major health problems).
    I didn't go into details when SIL milled them...in the old world it's considered a bad thing to have a spotted wiener....

Thankfully SIL stopped multiplying dogs. (She did drop a good penny on getting a breeding specimen, you know: one with uterus)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Sorry about your barn. We were spared. I don't know how since we're right down the road from Glade.
    We have six dogs and a pig in our house. We have been up to 10 dogs but the "extras" were fosters and eventually found their own homes. I only keep the ones that have no hope of being adopted.
    Hubby isn't fazed anymore. He just says, what's his/her name when he comes in and is greeted by a new face. LOL

I have 12 farm dogs. All are rescues/foster flunkies. I foster for the local kill shelter and am the vp of a dog rescue.
    In addition to them I have 5 foster dogs, and one of those is a momma with 4 puppies who are now 3 weeks old.
    Everybody is fat, clean, and has all their shots, deworming etc.
    so you definitely came to the wrong place for an intervention.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    I didn't go into details when SIL milled them...in the old world it's considered a bad thing to have a spotted wiener....
    It still is except for the general population who want something "different and rare"...rather than correct......
    We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!

Well you can add me to the group needing an intervention. Yesterday evening as I was driving home from work, I saw something running down the dividing stripe in the highway. It was a young, female Walker hound, skinny and covered with ticks. I stopped and she ran right up to me wagging her tail. Nothing left to do but put her in the truck and bring her home. Did I mention I'm a sucker for hound dawgs? So "Lucy" has gotten at least two good meals and will be getting de-ticked and vetted soon. This puts me up to 10.

Good for you! We have 2 hound mixes; we were told that the big'un is a tree walker hound/dalmation cross. He is a mutant at 100 lbs.

4 cats, 2 dogs, 1 bird and 4 horses here. I would probably have more if I had my dream farm.

Smart dog to be schmoozing with the hubby!

Wiener girl has a dachshund build but colored like a pointer. Go figure. She was standing next to George the Basset yesterday and the difference in size and build was comical.

I don't know if Noodles the spotted wiener dog is "up to snuff" in the dachsie world, but my goal in adopting dogs from the shelter is to take the ones no one wants. She is already wise beyond her years and we loff her.

Do you think I've stopped looking at the shelter website????

I knew I could count on COTH to feed my obsession.

Wiener girl has a dachshund build but colored like a pointer. Go figure. She was standing next to George the Basset yesterday and the difference in size and build was comical.
    She is probably a piebald dachshund. She is very lucky to have found a home with you. Bless you for caring!!!!