The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I need an intervention NOW.

Nope, too late .
    I'm picking up dog #10 from the pound on Friday. That's 6/10 either pound puppies or side-of-the-road dogs. I HAVE TO STOP.
    DH is way too understanding and enabling, but I think he's going to kick me out of the house if I don't cease and desist.
    BTW-she's a weiner dog mix with, dare I say it, JRT coloring. Help me think of a name. "Divorcee", maybe?

Default For real?

Wish I could help but not sure there's a cure. We adopt anybody who wanders by that can get along with the current residents - they have to give up their gonads and in return get premium food, vet care and house privileges.

And I troll the shelter website checking out how long they've been there - brought home the most ancient dog in the shelter two years ago who is still doing well. We think that's going to be our policy - when we lose the last old dog, get the next oldest dog and give it a good home as long as it lives.

On the feline side, we've benefitted from our adoption policy - used to be overrun with country mice but haven't seen one for 15 or 20 years now. And all organic - no poisons!

Some people call this hoarding, but then there are all those tv shows about people who have acres of furniture and car parts and somehow that's okay because they're WORTH MONEY.

In a funky mood tonight - my son is in Joplin MO covering the hideous tornado for the LA Times and talking about my menagerie is a happy distraction. Sorry to ramble!

Quote Originally Posted by 3dogfarm View Post
    Nope, too late .
    I'm picking up dog #10 from the pound on Friday. That's 6/10 either pound puppies or side-of-the-road dogs. I HAVE TO STOP.
    DH is way too understanding and enabling, but I think he's going to kick me out of the house if I don't cease and desist.
    BTW-she's a weiner dog mix with, dare I say it, JRT coloring. Help me think of a name. "Divorcee", maybe?
    what, no picture?
    (they are breeding wiener dogs with spots now...)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMama1 View Post
    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
    GNU Terry Prachett

I knew I'd get called out for not posting pictures!
    I'm erm, uh, challenged in the tech dept but will do my best over the holiday weekend to get into the 21st century.

Mizzou-we had a direct hit from a tornado about 3 weeks ago-all animals are fine-amazingly so-house had very little damage, but ALL of our big trees are down/damaged and the barn (big metal) was spotted 1/2 mile away in shreds. I am sending good thoughts to you and your son-what a horrible, horrible thing to experience.

On a lighter note-
    Me: Oh, SWVA NEVER gets _______fill in the blank-blizzards, tornadoes...I'll take the job there (2006)
    DH: OK, Dear, sound like the place to retire...

You're in the wrong place if you really want to stop. We are all suckers for critters here. We'll tell you you are awesome and your new baby is very lucky. I have a great DH too. When he does get frustrated with my "soft heartedness" I just remind him that it's better than your wife & mothers of your children being a cold you know what! If you're at 9, and he hasn't left yet, he must share your soft heart. Congrats on helping lots of dogs in need and having found a good guy. Happy vacuuming!

LOL Happy vacumning (sp?)--have you been to our house?
    And Maxie, my little spoiled brat peke with a little bit of poo thrown in-does not shed. Go figure. DH said women will kill for the gorgeous hair Max has. Think Fabio to the 10th power!

Quote Originally Posted by MizzouMom View Post
    And I troll the shelter website checking out how long they've been there - brought home the most ancient dog in the shelter two years ago who is still doing well. We think that's going to be our policy - when we lose the last old dog, get the next oldest dog and give it a good home as long as it lives.

How absolutely WONDERFUL. Thank you!!! Wish there were more people in the world like you.
    Horse & Dog Designs: Clothing, Home Decor, Custom Gifts, ETC:
    WoofNWhinny*GIFT IDEAS for Horse Lovers!
    NEW:
    Fabric, Shoes, & Nail Art
    Personalized Gifts for Adults, Kids & Babies

You really need to change your user name.

Re User Name

I"m thinking "Noah's Bark". How does that fit?
    Don't no one steal it no how until I figure out the way to get it changed.

I'd have 20 dogs but the association where I live only allows 2. But I too am a sucker for a homeless / unwanted critter. I'm jealous that you are getting another cutie !

Re User Name

You may consider "manydogfarm", so when DH ask how many do we have now, you can honestly say "many".

I am lucky to be allergic to dogs and cats and a preference for breathing has kept my dog and cat numbers at bay.
    Most permanent cats or dogs at once has been half a dozen of each, the later years one dog and much easier breathing.
    My requirement for dogs has always been, the number has to be small enough that all can live in the house.
    No outside dogs, the idea of having dogs is to be companions, not sad yard ornaments warehoused outside most of their lives.

To me, it is not the number of dogs you have, is how many you can take care of and interact with, live with, take with you places, do things with.
    I think the difference between sensible dog owners and hoarders is not the number, but that you have as many dogs as you can do things with.
    When you have many dogs just warehoused in your house and yard, too many to give them individual attention, where they really are a pack, not you and your few dogs, then those are hoarders.

Ok to be a hoarder if that is what you want to be, as long as your animals are taken care of properly, I guess.
    Not good in any case when your one dog or many is/are neglected, abused or starved.

Life is about choices and if you can live and do right for ten dogs, why not?

Re User Name

LOL, I think you need to tell a moderator/admin, they can do it for you.

Lotsadogfarm would work, too....
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMama1 View Post
    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
    GNU Terry Prachett

My question to you is Why stop at 10?

Yes there are tricolor doxies that look a lot like Jacks if you overlook the short legs, long snouts and tails

Waiting for pics and a second vote for "ManyDogFarm"
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

This is why I love COTH

Congratulations!!!! As long as you can care for them all, why not?????? We have 5 dogs and 5 cats, all indoors of course. Yes, it's hairy and sometimes noisy, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Love your new name too!

How about ManyDogs-sounds like a Native American name and there were settlements in this areas.
    and OH NO there is a little teddy bear looking guy pictured on their website as of today.
    Ohhhh noooo Mr. Bill!!!
    PS-LotsaDogs is a good one, too!

I have 13. Road puppies, shelter dogs, Katrina rescue, puppy mill mommas.
    I got another pound puppy recently because the old dog is going soon, I think. Need 12 more to replace her.

Wow! Do they all get along?

Funny you are talking about that kinda of dog. The very same was featured on the SPCA adopt a pet segment on the news today. It was a dog that I just figured should be with me. Sadly they will not allow her to go to a home with another dog :-(

I knew I'd get called out for not posting pictures!
    I'm erm, uh, challenged in the tech dept but will do my best over the holiday weekend to get into the 21st century.

Mizzou-we had a direct hit from a tornado about 3 weeks ago-all animals are fine-amazingly so-house had very little damage, but ALL of our big trees are down/damaged and the barn (big metal) was spotted 1/2 mile away in shreds. I am sending good thoughts to you and your son-what a horrible, horrible thing to experience.

On a lighter note-
    Me: Oh, SWVA NEVER gets _______fill in the blank-blizzards, tornadoes...I'll take the job there (2006)
    DH: OK, Dear, sound like the place to retire...
    You need to change your moniker to 10dogfarm, if you dare. So sorry about the tornado, those damn solar flares are supposed to dissipate soon, in case that helps. To Mizzou and all of those who are directly in the path of these storms or suffering from the aftereffects, my heart is with you. Sure puts in perspective suffering from SAD for 6 months or so in my new homeland.
    "We, too, will be remembered not for victories or defeats in battle or in politics, but for our contribution to the human spirit." JFK