The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default customer phone call today....

phone call today:
    do you have any hay? yes sir,you'll need to talk to Calvin.I can give you his number.
    what kind is it?I don't know sir, Calvin does that you'll need to talk to Calvin.
    how much is it?I don't know sir, Calvin does that,you'll need to talk to Calvin.

WHAT DO YOU DO!!!????

I'm married to Calvin,sir, and that is work enough right there.

but this old guy was irate that I would not give him any hay prices but hello...I don't know them..I can't just guess and have you drive 4 hours to get here and demand the hay I guessed at...I did tell him that we talk about the cattle or the horses or the corn or soybeans if he liked.

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

People amaze me daily. I did tech support for 2 1/2 years, and now am working customer service for health insurance & Cobra. The conversations I've had over the years with some have left me wondering how some people make it through life.

I see that it doesn't exclude horse people, lol. How that guy didn't understand the 1st 2 times you told him to speak to your husband, I don't know.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Some people...

I had a run-in with a McDonald's employee yesterday that made me wonder how she hadn't died of her stupidity. We ordered 3 items. She screwed up 3 times. Then she acted like it was not her fault!

Yikes! Gotta remember that there are some real nuts out there...

It goes both ways. Today I tried to buy some microchips loaded in syringes. I've bought them before but it has been a few years since my last "chip fest." The CSR was a lovely lady and determined to find my account. After trying every way possible and putting me on hold repeatedly, I told her that I was perfectly happy to start a new account. All I wanted was 5 chips in their standard box. Then she wanted to know if I had a scanner -- yes, I do. Could she have the serial number? Well no, I am not on the farm right now. Okay, she says, why don't you call back with the serial number of the scanner and then we can sell you the chips.

I had major pushback here. I know my scanner works fine with their chips. My vet borrows it from me when he chips horses. But really, it is not their problem if my scanner works or not. That would be my problem -- we scan the chip before and after insertion. If the scanner doesn't work with the chip, we don't insert.

We finally had to compromise with my reading the numbers of previously purchased chips for her. Thank goodness my registry has that information available online! I guess I finally made the point because she sold me the chips. I was on hold at least 12 times during this process and got to listen to ads about all the reasons why you want to buy microchips. I know, I know!

Sometimes it is very hard to part with your money! Anyone interested in some nefarious chipping activities, please contact me. I believe I am under some suspicion and at least want to do something to merit those concerns.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Another shameless plug....looka my signature and pay particularly close attention for ALL of todays posts. I had to take some ibu's to get through the day. If I were a drinker, I'd be doing shots of whiskey.

Horse folks ain't no diff'ernt.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

I'm a cake decorator at a high-end Patisserie. I've dealt with women that make Bridezillas look like the Golden Girls.

My personal favorite was the woman that brought in two pictures- both of rather intricate and ornate but totally different styles of wedding cakes. She wanted a hybrid of the two. She dictated every detail to me, what was to go where, every teeny tiny little detail right down to the colors of the stamens in the gum paste flowers. She brought in paint and fabric swatches and demanded EXACT color matches.

Here's where it gets really hairy. She wanted the ENTIRE cake airbrushed SILVER. Like, tin man, sci-fi, aluminum foil silver. And the colors on the flowers were primary. Primary red, yellow and blue. The borders you ask? Well black of course! I documented everything she asked in painstaking detail and went over it several times because I just knew this cake was going to be hideous. She confirmed over and over it was what she wanted. I even drew her up a sketch of what completed cake would look like in color and she agreed to it.

I make the cake to her exact specifications. It was hideous. The ugliest cake I've ever made, and I'm including the cake wrecks from my early years. But I had followed her plans to the letter since she gave me absolutely NO wiggle room to be creative.

She hated it. She was furious. I ruined her wedding. She cussed me out. She called me an effing idiot. She cried. She threw a fit. She stomped her feet. She screamed at me. She refused to serve the cake. She called everyone from our master pastry chef to the owner of the store to tell me what a horrid, wretched evil piece of trash I am.

That was just last week so I'm still a little salty about it. All I have to say is my condolences to her new husband.

way off topic but can we have a picture of the ugly cake?

Quote Originally Posted by Burbank View Post
    way off topic but can we have a picture of the ugly cake?
    Oh how I wish I had had the forethought to have taken a picture. It likely would have broken the camera though. Four tiers of fondant, gum paste, silver spray and ugly. It took me an entire bottle of silver airbrush spray and 8 cans of silver sugar "spray paint" to get the exact shade of silver she wanted. I was blowing silver snot out of my nose for an entire day after painting it.

Damn I wish I had a picture now. I'm pretty sure that cake was one of the signs of the apocolypse. It was truly a sight to behold.

PLEASE can we have a picture of the ugly cake?

Please oh pleasepleaseplease?????

The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

You just made me cry.

I want to see that cake so bad.
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

She does not have a picture. So I think she should make it all over again, just to show us how ugly it was.
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

I hope she paid in advance.
    Fullcirclefarmsc.com

Yeah, I want to see this ugly cake. Send it to cakewrecks blog complete with the story you told us - that will let you get a little bit of satisfaction out of being abused by an idiot.

I know there is no limit to the stupidity of the human race, particularly those who pick up the telephone. I worked customer service phones and email for several big online retailers, including several Christmas seasons, and it was horrific. When on the account for the biggest company, I took just under 12,000 calls between Thanksgiving and New Years, most of whom had issues. I rarely pick up the phone to make a social call now...I use email!
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    phone call today:
    do you have any hay? yes sir,you'll need to talk to Calvin.I can give you his number.
    what kind is it?I don't know sir, Calvin does that you'll need to talk to Calvin.
    how much is it?I don't know sir, Calvin does that,you'll need to talk to Calvin.

WHAT DO YOU DO!!!????

I'm married to Calvin,sir, and that is work enough right there.

but this old guy was irate that I would not give him any hay prices but hello...I don't know them..I can't just guess and have you drive 4 hours to get here and demand the hay I guessed at...I did tell him that we talk about the cattle or the horses or the corn or soybeans if he liked.

Tamara
    If you think about it, what happened was better than if he'd insisted on talking to Calvin without bothering to find out whether you knew what he wanted to know. I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

I was blowing silver snot out of my nose for an entire day after painting it.
    I never thought I'd see the words silver and snot in the same sentence in my lifetime.

How about posting the artwork you did?
    “Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar.”
    Drew Carey

Saddlebum, do you still have the sketch? We can settle for that! Or maybe it'll turn up on Cakewrecks, lol.

Tamara, the more I work with people (secretary at a doctor's office), the more I'm amazed at how incredibly stupid some people are. One of my favorites:

Patient calls to make an appointment. Get him all set up, and then:
    Me: And did you know that we moved recently?
    Patient: No, where are you located?
    Me: *gives address and landmarks*
    Patient: Has the phone number changed?

*bangs head against wall* I realllllly wanted to say "yes it has, this is not the doctor's office and I have no idea who you are."

See below.
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    If you think about it, what happened was better than if he'd insisted on talking to Calvin without bothering to find out whether you knew what he wanted to know. I guess.
    I gotta agree with that. At least he wasn't one of those that won't talk bid'ness wit da women folk!

I'll see if the sketch is still floating around work. The guys were having quite a bit of fun with it so it might still be around. I wasn't interested in adding it to my portfolio.

If worse comes to worse I can recreate one of the tiers in buttercream, if you all really want to see the glory that was the silver cake.

And ladies- When getting married, if you want a big fancy shiny cake I highly suggest going with something subtle like a nice irridescent pearl spray and maybe some luster dust. Do not ask for silver.

KYes, post the sketch at the minimum!

I found cakewrecks.blogspot.com. probably the same one.