The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eventing Prospect Confo Critique

I have been horse hunting for quite a while now, and this is the mare I am going to go look at this weekend. She is a 12 yr old TB and 16.1h.

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x...rent=tonks.jpg

She has never competed, but has schooled Novice XC without a problem. She packed around her owner last summer while schooling XC, and just has a very good mind. Her current owners bought her as a Training level prospect, and probably could end up going Training with the right rider. Let me know what you think!

Not a great picture, but my first impression is heavy in front, light behind... really can't say any more than that, and that might be wrong with a better angle.

What do you want the horse to do? "Eventing prospect" covers a wide gambit of horses - from the fancy upper level potential knock your socks off to the nice horse who does a bunch of jobs, including some lower level eventing (what I call Justa-horse - which is not meant to be pejorative, but captures the horse of all trades type critter whose job requires it to be good-enough, safe, but not earth-shattering and who is often a lot better match for certain riders than the high octane sportscar of the former type).

I wouldn't say this horse screams the former to me but, as noted, it's not a great photo, and I wouldn't rule any upper level potential horse in without seeing them move/jump anyway. Regardless, for a lower level horse, I don't see anything that per se says she wouldn't go Novice/Training. She's on the heavy side and maybe a bit out of shape, a bit straight behind (could be the way she's standing), and I'd look carefully at that right front to see if there's an old bow there or just a trick of the light. Moreover, if you're looking for a Justa-horse, temperament, reasonable maintainable soundness, and "fit" become much more important criteria than overall conformation regardless, so look at her, ride her, and talk with your coach/trainer/vet/knowledgeable friend.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Not a great picture, but my first impression is heavy in front, light behind...
    My thoughts exactly. But from what I can tell she has a kind eye and the neck is a nice length (I've been seeing many horses with short thick necks lately). She looks a titch long/weak in her loins - but that can also be the angle of the photo. The photo is a little awkward.

That being said she looks like a horse you could bomb around on.
    Camels spit, Mary, camels - Catherine Haddad "Dressage Critic

It's such a funny angle on the photo, and she's so overweight that it's hard to say but she does look a bit straight behind, which is certainly not a deal breaker depending on how she moves and if she has what else you need. Without seeing at least a video it's hard to say. But if she fits your criteria it may be worth a look

Sorry I wasn't more clear on what I would like to do with her. I am looking for a horse to take at least training and get my C3 on in Pony Club before I age out in a few years. I was talking to a very knowledgeable friend and we were discussing the way she is standing in this photo, and agreed it was probably the angle of which it was taken. And possibly the ground not being level.
    This mare has been out of work, and just pulled out of the pasture to go school a few times last summer. Thats it, so she is very much out of shape and fat. Thanks for your critiques so far!

I took a heavy Belgian/QH cross Preliminary so I think this girl could most likely do Training. She is has no where near the heavy front end my gelding had. I say go try her and see if you like her, then get a vet check. If she has heart and is safe to jump, I see no reason why she couldn't go Training with the right rider and experience. I really like her head and neck. Plus, you know she probably won't have trouble keeping weight on!

She needs to go on a diet.

Capable is as capable does. For whatbyou need, I'd value experience, temperament and a great XC brain over almost everything else.

No reason why any horse couldn't get you where you want to go, provided they are sound, sane, and willing.
    Click here before you buy.

Is she really full tb? Is that what they look like when they get fat?
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    Is she really full tb? Is that what they look like when they get fat?
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Haha!

Yes, she is a full TB, and needs to go on a diet asap! She also needs a job, so that would really help.

Hopefully all goes well this weekend, and she works out. Any chance any of you think she may be able to go Prelim (going on what her confo says)?

Quote Originally Posted by eventingismylife View Post
    Any chance any of you think she may be able to go Prelim (going on what her confo says)?
    I don't think it's possible to make a reasonable guess based on that picture. Heart and mind can overcome poor conformation; the best conformation in the world is meaningless if the horse doesn't want to do it.