The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

reg5072 Guest

Default Donating to riding programs

Hey, guys. I know this has been asked a million times but I was wondering if anyone knows the deal with donating a horse to a college program? I'm leaving for training with the Navy in a couple of months and need my horse to go to a respectable home asap. Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

First you have to find a school that is willing and able to accept the horse into their program - then often the schools will want to have them on trial. Your best bet at this point is to start contacting some schools w/ riding programs and take if from there..

It depends on the school. At my school, if you can ship it to us we take it. We look for sound horses with no dangerous behaviors. We can work with green horses, or horses with bad habits as long as the advanced students can ride them.

At some schools your donation is tax-deductible. At ours it is not, because technically the horse is being donated to a private farm and not the actual school. Thats why we don't get as many donated horses as other schools. We're also a pretty small school with no equestrian program, just a very dedicated coach and a varsity team.

Realize that at most schools, you no longer have any control over the future of the horse, and many schools can and do sell horses at auction from time to time.

New Canaan Mounted Troop in New Canaan, CT accepts appropriate donations and they are a 5013C charity. They have a website - give them a telephone call. The facility is relatively new and the riders care for the horses they ride. I believe it to be a choice to consider.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Where are you located? People may have some specific recommendations and contacts for you.

Otherwise, just start calling / emailing and do your homework about the program before you donate!

I donated a horse to a University program in Virginia. When she was no longer able to keep up with the program, she was given to a former student who knew and loved her. True, I had no control over what the University did with the horse, but it's no different than selling.
    ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

Quote Originally Posted by shawneeAcres View Post
    Realize that at most schools, you no longer have any control over the future of the horse, and many schools can and do sell horses at auction from time to time.
    Happened to me. Donated a horse and after 1-2 years she was sold at auction. The annoying part was that the well-known school wouldn't give me any details regarding where/when she went to auction. About 8 years later, I actually bumped into this horse at a horse show near the school and I told the owners my story but I couldn't trace how many owners she had since the donation. Funny thing is that she still had the same name -nobody changed it throughout the years. Happy ending but there are so many that are not.

The care at the school was superb making my decision to donate her easy but next time I'd get a contract so they contact me if they decide to sell.

Many schools will take horses on a (free) lease, also. This might be a good option if you want your horse back in the event it is no longer suitable for the school program, or if you are hoping to get your horse back after you finish your service.
    Just ask a lot of questions, there are schools out there that will take EXCELLENT care of your horse and it can continue to have a "job" and help future professionals.

Good luck!

UMass has a good program and I've never heard a peep that they don't take proper care of their horses.

Also, we have an excellent rescue here in Mass. that has a great facility and would work hard to find a proper home. Central New England Equine Rescue.

Good luck and best wishes to the pony!

Where there are only carousel horses to be had...

I had an adequate experience with UNH (I'm a perfectionist, but it was fine). You should be able to keep track of the horse. They will want to do a trial. PM me for more information if you want.

Also if you could tell us more about height, breed, behavior, experience, age, soundness, and location we could probably be more helpful (which I assume would be okay with the mods, considering you are looking to donate the horse)
    “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” -Howard Thurman
    (}---{)

reg5072 Guest

Thanks, everyone! I'm located in south-central PA (incase anyone has anywhere specific I should look). It would be nice to get a tax credit on him but not necessary. I have a limited amount of time to get him placed and just want a good home for him. Here's his sale link if anyone knows of some place looking for something specific. http://www.equine.com/horses-for-sal...d-1052692.html
    Thanks again!

I did a little research a while ago. You have a PM.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.