The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hunter Riders -- Weltmeyer as a Hunter Sire

Wandered over here from the Breeding Forum -- maybe some of you knowledgable Hunter riders can help me.

Weltmeyer did very well in jumping in his stallion testing, but is known primarily as a dressage sire.

But then, I don't follow H/J.

Do you know of any solid H/J horses sired by him? Names are good, but even if you just saw a horse at a show you KNOW was sired by Weltmeyer, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks!

Unfortunately there is really no good way to track a sire via the USEF website-there are some horses with Weltmeyer in their name but no details. And so many use show names and don't even know the breeding unless they are still youngsters on the line.

Hunters are weird too in that it is perception of their style. Alot would depend on the dam. I will say the ones out of similar stallions known more for Dressage seem to do OK in the Jumpers but are not really what the Hunter ring demands. They can do OK but not much more, tend to be almost too uphill and too much knee for a great canter to fences.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

The weltmeyers I have known (in dressage) would not have the temperament to make a good hunter. I know training can have an affect, by why start with a hot horse if your goal is to have a cool horse?

If you want to use a dressage sire somewhat proven in hunters, us Rotspot. I also like his half brother Royal blend (thinner, better back movement) but he's chestnut

A gelding I bred: Fire Hjorner Farms Weltlight is competing in the Denver area and winning in the Hunter ring. He us by Weltjunge (Weltmeyer/Macho) out of Starlight Engholt (Blue Hors Romancier/Midt-west Ibi-Light). Weltlight is a gorgeous big, 17.2h black with four white socks. He is a stunning mover but he prefers to move in a hunter frame. He has a very cute jump and just packs around a ring. He is also a star in the Eq ring.
    Erica H. Max
    Fire Hjorner Farm
    Breeders and Importers of Danish Warmbloods

www.danishwarmblood.com

I would not choose Weltmeyer if I were to breed again for the hunter ring. I know his jumping scores were fabulous but there's more to a hunter than jumping. The judging is subjective and much emphasis is placed upon conformation, way of going, athleticism and pleasant attitude and manners, manners, manners. His son, Werbellin, produced a very good colt for me. He has size, type, kindness, and though he prefers dressage he can jump the moon. Werbellin himself is sensitive and oftentimes throws very tall babies and that is alright with me. I bred him to Flirting Cove, my former TB mare, who had a lot of influence over how this baby developed.

Oh, and to show you how much I like Werbellin as a hunter sire, I'm considering him for my TB mare, Cambalee Cove. She's quiet, mannerly, athletic has beautiful movement. When I look at her, she just screams hunter.

I can't think of any Weltmeyer babies that have gone on to succeed in the hunters -- I'm sure they are out there, but I don't know of any. I have, however, tried a few in the past when shopping for horses and every one that I tried was not interested in jumping. To the point that my short list of sires to avoid when shopping for horses includes Weltmeyer! But that's just my experience and not at all scientific.

Let me clarify -- I am not looking to breed to Weltmeyer. I have a Weltmeyer daughter (damsire Batido, a Bolero son, so more dressage).

I am breeding this mare to a Knabstrupper this year -- Avalon's Colorado Skrodstrup (Fable).

Fable has a proven record in jumpers and also scored very well in his NA Stallion Testing in dressage -- he was 3rd I think and that was after his "age penalty."

My goal is to produce a solid ammie "all-arounder", although it seems that the foal might have more of a talent for dressage than jumping.

Just curious if W. HAS produced any jumpers/hunters.

All of the Weltmeyer "babies" that I've worked with would not make a good hunter. Temperment, and inclination towards jumping. That being said, they ended up being nice dressage horses.

Quite frankly, the potential spots might be more of an obstacle for hunter buyers than Weltmeyer blood.

You can still breed for an all rounder while still improve the dressage capability when you have a nice bred mare like that. This year I bred one to Wamberto. He won both the dressage and jumping divisions of the KWPN-NA stallion testing setting a record score. He also won the stallion grading in Holland against 700 plus stallions. My goal is also to have an all rounder with the athletic ability to potentially do grand prix in either discipline. I'm not saying you should use him as I don't know your mare, but there are other stallions out there like him that would give you a good all rounder without losing what you already have in the mare.

I don't know that I would "dumb down the mares breeding" to get an all-rounder (no offense to the SO, I just mean you likely have a very nice mare and are actually looking at losing movement in the foal intentionally.)

Quote Originally Posted by flyracing View Post
    You can still breed for an all rounder while still improve the dressage capability when you have a nice bred mare like that. This year I bred one to Wamberto. He won both the dressage and jumping divisions of the KWPN-NA stallion testing setting a record score. He also won the stallion grading in Holland against 700 plus stallions. My goal is also to have an all rounder with the athletic ability to potentially do grand prix in either discipline. I'm not saying you should use him as I don't know your mare, but there are other stallions out there like him that would give you a good all rounder without losing what you already have in the mare.

I don't know that I would "dumb down the mares breeding" to get an all-rounder (no offense to the SO, I just mean you likely have a very nice mare and are actually looking at losing movement in the foal intentionally.)
    No, I understand what you are saying.

I really liked what Fable showed in the stallion testing (and I LIKE the spots), although after seeing this year's foal o/o this mare (sired by Sandro Hit son Schroeder), I'm afraid I'm going to get a total tank from this next cross!

The mare herself is NOT a typical Weltmeyer in terms of phenotype -- she is longer backed and rangy -- but she (apparently) throws the Weltmeyer build. The Schroeder filly is a TANK. A VERY nice moving tank, but she is solid as a brick...you-know-what. Hindquarters to die for. Doing levades at 5 days of age. Can REALLY "sit."

But the breeding to Fable is bought and paid for, so we shall proceed.

Next time I may actually look at a more refined type of stallion for this mare. Still getting a feel for what this mare throws, as this year's foal is only her 2nd. As mentioned, HER phenotype doesn't come through (so far) in the foals...but Weltie's sure does!