The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mouth-to-Mouth Horse Treating

What shape would your face be in if you tried this with your horse?

http://youtu.be/Mcy-hcwKjPw
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

Kinda slobbery. I did it with Norman and Lucky from time to time. It's all about trust.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Nope sorry, will NEVER do that. I love my horses and trust them, but not a chance I am willing to take. And WHY take that chance?
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

The barn I used to ride at had a "trend" of this going on, where everyone would take pics of them doing this and put it on their Facebook as their profile pictures. Some of the horses I would have been wary to feed by hand, much less risking the integrity of my face. I guess they think it looks cool - but it looks stupid to me, even when it goes well.

I certainly COULD do it with my horse, but I've seen where my horse's muzzle has been, and I don't want it in my mouth thanks. Ew.

my horse is very gentle, I don't think she would take my face off, bit the fact is, they can VERY easily take your face off!!!!

I don't even know it was true, but my dad always warned me about a woman who lost her lips this way, and had to under go many surgeries, he always said to keep my face away from my horse's, thats sound advice!

If I was a barn owner, I would not allow this at my barn. Too dangerous, and just no point in doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by mjmvet View Post
    I certainly COULD do it with my horse, but I've seen where my horse's muzzle has been, and I don't want it in my mouth thanks. Ew.
    This

I had a mare who loved wintergreen TicTacs and she could take one from between my teeth with her teeth and not even touch me. I wouldnt try it with either of the nags I have now, though...when I was horribly upset and crying once she came to me and started gently scraping my cheek with her teeth to comfort me. Very careful and maternal and it was comforting in a strange way.

I would have waaaay less lips than I do now!

I just don't understand... why? When I have perfectly good hands... and plenty of, um, cleaner candidates for kissing?
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

I've had a cup of water, drank some, offered some to my horse, and then drank the rest. The slobber doesn't bother me, but the teeth do

I do it with one of my horses -- we share the black "Vines" licorice. Not sure I would try it with a piece as small as what they had in the video though!

Did it with the pony when I was little. Pretty sure my trainer was never looking when I did it! There is no real point and it's hella scary having a mouth that huge right in your face... I suppose I did a lot of stupid things way back when, but I wouldn't do it now.

bleck, nevermind the safety issue, that's just nasty!!
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

My boyfriend has a dark blue-roan TWH that probably could have been the inspiration for the old Hungry Hungry Hippos game, based on the way he takes treats. He's not intentionally mouthy, he just has a huge, broad head and he REALLY loves his treats. So, any treats he gets are thrown in his corner feeder or he has to "park out" for one. But no, he's not going anywhere near my face with those big flibber-lips of his.

The sorrel gelding is more gentle about it, but a bit clumsy and uncoordinated. There are times I wonder if he drops the treat intentionally just to see how many times I'll pick it up for him.

My little black gelding is the only one I might trust to take a treat from my mouth. . .but it's just as easy to just give it to him.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    my horse is very gentle, I don't think she would take my face off, bit the fact is, they can VERY easily take your face off!!!!
    Oddly enough, that's one of the things I like about horses!

I personally don't find this either scary or yucky (as long as it is just lips!), but I certainly wouldn't encourage others to do it.

This is not something I'd ever be tempted to do. The point about where their muzzles have been....yuck, and the fact that they can literally tear your face off....The horse in the video is awful cute though.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

I feel the same way about that as I do about dogs licking. I see what my dogs lick and then I am supposed to be flattered by them licking my face, hands etc - not a hope in hell.

Horses can be taught to take treats nicely. Assuming of course you train for it first and don't just coat your lips in molasses and wonder why he bit you.

But I personally am not kissing my horse on the lips. Call me a germ-o-phobe, but I'd prefer not to lick an animal that eats off the ground outside. Maybe I am just no fun.

As was pointed out above, a horse bite could literally break your face. What a stupid way to ruin your looks. But I guess your horse will still love you no matter where your nose is located. By all means, carry on.