The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Keep quiet or say something?

Background: I do self care on my 3 geldings at a private farm; BO turns out after feeding breakfast, and the rest is up to me. Been there about 8 months. Facility is not high end, but quiet and gives me the opportunity to have a lot of hands on time with my boys . My barn is a small one separate from the main barn,which has 2 other boarders in it at the moment with the same arrangement as me.
    Last night my BO told me that my arena access is going to be up in the air for a while because a new boarder is bringing in 7 horses this weekend, and since the main turnout is still quite wet, will be using the arena as her turnout. We did it in the winter with fewer horses, and I could just pop them into stalls when I wanted to ride. Not ecstatic about that, but I can deal if it is temporary - I work full time and there is nowhere else on the property to ride.
    Here's the bigger hiccup though.....through very reliable sources, I have heard some disquieting things about the person coming in. I know she has given lessons in the past, but don't know if she will now (so that means a lot more people coming and going is likely). Not that disquieting.....but other things are. This is her third barn in a year, and I have seen before and after pics of how much condition a boarder's horse lost in a couple of months before the filly's owner pulled it - back when this happened, my DSO saw the pics and thought it was before and after from thin to fat, not the other way around. Her previous BO has apparently said that she stole hay from him as well. At her previous barn she also had pigs, an exotic bird and dogs, which are on her FB page at the barn. I have been warned by people who I trust to prepare myself, and lock up everything I can - which will be very difficult to do as I don't have a locking tack room or feed room, just open storage for my things (grain, hay shavings). She is apparently bad for stealing things, which is where my worry lies. I don't want to be paranoid, but can't help it - I want to protect my belongings and my horses.
    So, if you've read this far....do I just keep my mouth shut and let my BO find out herself? It's her barn obviously - but I don't want to have to constantly double and triple check my stuff and come to find things missing. Lived that before in a barn several years ago, and it was a deal-breaker for me then. I have two other barns in mind if this goes south....should I be looking?
    Thanks,
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Default How much of your stuff can you keep in your car?

Can you keep tack and brushes in car till you get a better lay of the land? I think I woulodn't mention it to BO, she pprobably has heard the same things.
    Another killer of threads

If it were me and my BO I would be talking to her about it. I don't know if you have that type of relationship with your BO. No place to ride for an undetermined amount of time doesn't sound too good not to mention how much 7 horses can tear up an arena. Add to that this person's shaky reputation and I think I would be looking elseware. While you should not judge based on rumor, the horse world is small and someone with a rep for stealing, etc. quite often turns out to be truth, not rumor.

It does depend on your relationship with your BO. I have had clients badmouth potential newcomers and just roll my eyes, because I know the client is a gossip and not trustworthy in that regard. I also know some BOs get really sensitive about anything that could be perceived as clients questioning their business, so you do need to factor that into the equation.

Still, if you have a pretty good working relationship with your BO and you trust her not to be a drama queen, I would speak up. Just tell her you've heard some things about this new boarder that you're concerned about, and you want to make sure she's aware. I know as a BO, I would really appreciate that even if I decided to bring the boarder in anyway. Of course, I was also ripped off by a woman whose horse I took into training and when I told my friends and other clients about it, they all went, "Yep, she's known for doing that." Come on guys, it would have been nice if you would have spoken up beforehand, would have saved me about $500!

I would not repeat gossip. No matter how reliable the source, it is still gossip unless you have eyewitness accounts.

I would keep it in the back of my mind and let the barn owner know if things started to go missing or anything questionable happens.

While I can appreciate the issue over loss of arena and would be annoyed about that, I can also appreciate a barn owner bringing in boarders. If she only has one boarder in the main barn and room for at least 7 more, she probably really does need the boarders. Hopefully the arena issue will resolve sooner, rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    I would not repeat gossip. No matter how reliable the source, it is still gossip unless you have eyewitness accounts.

I would keep it in the back of my mind and let the barn owner know if things started to go missing or anything questionable happens.

While I can appreciate the issue over loss of arena and would be annoyed about that, I can also appreciate a barn owner bringing in boarders. If she only has one boarder in the main barn and room for at least 7 more, she probably really does need the boarders. Hopefully the arena issue will resolve sooner, rather than later.
    Since we're a small farm, this will only leave a couple of empty stalls - but I know for a farm owner this will help tremendously. As for the gossip part, that's why i'm holding back - but the before and after photos of the filly in her care were a huge red flag.
    Dee

Ask the Bo if you can use an empty stall for storage to "free up the tack room for this lady" Then get a bike chain and padlock and lock your stuff up.

Trust your BO to have a brain...you have so far.

IF your things go missing...speak up. Have a heart to heart with your BO about what you have heard.

Get a locked tack box for your small stuff and keep careful watch on the big stuff. Sucks to have a thief in your barn..THAT is your BO's problem, and if/when notified it is happening she Must deal with it.

As for the boarders horses condition..you could casually mention a
    noticable loss of condition to the BO-but not your horses so MYOB

With any luck she will quickly
    move on to a 4th barn and leave you all in peace..
    Last edited by macmtn; May. 22, 2011 at 06:29 PM.
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

If you are on friendly terms with your BO, I like bizbachfan's advice. You certainly can approach this as "Hey, this could be gossip or reality, but let me give you a 'head's up'." You aren't asking your BO to change anything. You just are letting her know that she needs to pay attention to what she might be losing before that becomes a whole lot.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

If it was my situation, I would ask the BO that this lady is the one that was coming, ask if references from other barns were checked on her and tell her the gossip you have heard, as the gossip it is.
    Then let the BO see if she wants to check further or at least be careful about this new boarder, until she either shows to be ok or starts giving trouble.

Sure, it is mere gossip, but important to the management of this barn, so I think the BO should know of that gossip, just in case it is true.

Easy to follow thru with a few calls to the barns that lady left and see what they tell about her, if it is true or just gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by CoopsZippo View Post
    Ask the Bo if you can use an empty stall for storage to "free up the tack room for this lady" Then get a bike chain and padlock and lock your stuff up.
    Like this^.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Good idea, except that my barn is separate from the main barn - I have 4 stalls with metal gates on them. It is pretty open concept - I have my saddle racks and small medicine cupboard on one wall, and my bridle rack hanging over my tack trunk. It's a lovely setup, but if this individual comes into my barn when nobody is around, there is nothing to stop her from helping herself to my feed, bedding or tack. Wow, do I sound paranoid.
    Am really thinking over talking to my BO - she doesn't go for gossip, so am trying to find a way to let her know. I think it's already a done deal though - new boarder is likely shipping in today. Just trying to find a way to be proactive and not have issues about it.
    Thanks, everybody. I feel a little better having bounced ideas off of you.
    Dee

Dee

If you have a camera on your phone, you could take pictures of your stuff that's not locked up securely each day before you leave to check whether or not feed, bedding, etc is diminishing.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

To prevent tack being used/lost, you could remove the irons and girth from the saddle, and say a cheek piece from the bridle, and keep those in your car. Could still buy a hasp & lock & put it on your medicine cabinet - leave a fake fur mouse in your feed... (or leave it in a metal garbage can w/ chain & padlock...if you can still find the metal ones...)

THIS!
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Could you buy some cheap cattle panels and secure them around the one stall and then put a a lock on the door? http://www.tractorsupply.com/feedlot...16-ft--3502077
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

IMHO, there is nothing wrong with going to BO and saying, "Look, I have no proof of these allegations, but here is what I've heard about this person. I just want to make sure you're aware--and I'd like to take some precautions."

That said, I know for a FACT that if you talked to my first BO when I moved here, she'd have nothing nice to say about me. Nor did she have anything nice to say when I removed my horses as she threw feed bags at me, threatened litigation, etc. Yet, everyone else in town seemed to know about her. i had just moved here...had no bloody idea what I was dealining with!

But the hauler I called said she'd removed lots of horses and recommended getting law enforcement involved. LOL. Who knew?

Horse people are nuts man. Seriously.

But once you find a happy place, I think it's in everyone's best interest to share what you "know"--just even so people can have a heads up. As long as you aren't passing gossip on as primary knowledge, I don't feel like it's a bad thing.

Be up front and honest. You don't have PERSONAL interactions with this person. But typically, if enough people are saying the same thing, there's at least a grain of truth. I would feel like an asshat if I didn't give my BM the heads up if I knew "something".
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Put a hasp and padlock on your medicine cabinet, invest in a locking tack box. Could you get something like this portable storage shed for grain/hay/bedding? Something like that would have the added bonus of keeping those items dry and minimize dust and dirt.

You can also get a locking saddle rack like this which secures with a padlock. A bridle rack like this one could easily be secured by putting a large padlock over the crownpiece and through the slots.

I wouldn't say anything to the BO; if she asks why you're securing things, you could either use that as an opportunity to say something like, "To be honest, I've heard from some very reliable sources that Ms. Newbie has had problems with sticky fingers in the past, and I just don't want any misunderstandings." or even, "With the increased traffic we have lately, I just want to make sure my stuff stays put."

Thinking over your position, I would protect yourself, and count/stack hay bales a certain way, position feed bags a certain way, and kind of keep track of how long a bag lasts your boys normally for now. Observe if the new boarder brought any feed or hay along with them. I don't see your tack being used as being very likely, particularly since you have distinctive pieces. "Lost" though maybe I am worried for you, but who knows, maybe the incoming boarder turned over a new leaf. I may also turn purple tomorrow, but that's neither here nor there.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

If I had a good interpersonal relationship with the BO, I would tell her what I had heard, tell her it is second hand (i.e gossip), and you have no first hand experience with the new boarder to back it up. Do it unemotionally, and as matter-of-fact as you can.

I was also going to recommend one of those rubbermaid storage units, they come in various sizes, I have several on my property, one like these, and it can have a lock put on it:

http://www.rubbermaid.com/category/p...orizontalSheds

And one like these:

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/P...od_ID=RP091916

It depends on how much hay, feed and shavings you need to store.

Both are easy to assemble, so no issue in getting them in and out of wherever you currently store your stuff.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams