The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Calf stuck out of field, looking weak. - update - back in the field!

Any cattle ranch folks out there? I am on a work assignment out west right now and I drive past a large field of mamma cows and the little ones. Three days ago we noticed a little one one the wrong side of the fence and a very unhappy mamma.

At first pass I didn't think much about it and assumed they would sort themselves out or the owner would do it for them. Unfortunately not. The last two evenings the calf has been lying down in the grass outside the fence and mamma is directly on the other side.

Here come my questions.
    1. He is pretty little, how long can he go without mamma milk?
    2. Will some one eventually notice and care? I can't find any obvious owner info otherwise I would be tempted to let someone know.
    3. I am a nut for caring? I really want to see that guy back on the other side. Coworker and I were really tempted to stop, pick him up and dump him on the right side but we didn't want to spook him or have angry owner think we are running off with the cow.

I just hate driving by every day and seeing him. If anyone has a good idea I would love to hear it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by alittlextra; May. 22, 2011 at 11:11 AM.

OH FOR GOD'S SAKE! Go put the calf over the fence already. Or call the sheriff's office. I'm sure they know whose place it is and can call the guy and have him go get the calf.

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU HAD TO GET ON COTH TO FIGURE THIS OUT. What the hell would you have done if it was a puppy?

By now the calf is probably so weak it won't run off.

<wonders why there isn't a :stupid: emoticon to go with the mad one>
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Call the Police or SPCA. Go online and look up the tax records to get the name of the owner, then look at www.whitepages.com and find their phone number. Call them. They may have leased out the land but will know who to. Go up to the closest house and ask if they know who's cows they are.

Sadly you may drive past tomorrow and the calf may actually be dead. It likely has not had any fluids as it probably won't want to leave the fenceline either.

That was our plan for the morning, but having no hands on experience with cattle or cattle farms I just thought I would ask.

It does seem obvious and had I been driving today I would have pulled over but over a hundred people have passed him twice a day, I really did wonder why someone didn't beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    OH FOR GOD'S SAKE! Go put the calf over the fence already. Or call the sheriff's office. I'm sure they know whose place it is and can call the guy and have him go get the calf.

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU HAD TO GET ON COTH TO FIGURE THIS OUT. What the hell would you have done if it was a puppy?

Wow, push the coffee away from your keyboard and chill. If she isnt' familiar with the ways of the natives then she is smart to ask for help.

To the OP, to answer your question, yes, if you can SAFELY push the calf or lift the calf over the fence then give it a try. Be warned, not all momma cows are nice so keep the fence between you and her. They can't go too long without momma's milk.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I do feel terrible we didn't stop tonight. I couldn't believe someone responsible for the little guy hadn't shown up yet. I will make sure I drive tomorrow so I can be sure we pull over and do what we can. There is one out on the other side of the road but he is larger and seems quite happily running around and hanging out. I was hoping the one in question would be up and bouncing around and when he wasn't this evening it prompted me to ask.

I will keep my fingers crossed for the guy tonight and do whatever we can tomorrow. I hope mine, and the 100 or so folks that drive by's, inaction haven't cost him his chance.
    Last edited by alittlextra; May. 21, 2011 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Clarity!

i had sorta the same thing happen recently. Drove by pasture & saw only a very small calf out alone in large field. Drove up to owner's home & then saw mama cow walking back to field to get calf. She, believe it or not, couldn't find the calf. She kept walking around & finally just walked back over the hill towards the herd.
    Finally got owners on the phone & they said thanks & hurried out to reunite calf & cow. Hope it went wel as I didn't stick around to watch.
    Good luck with yours tomorrow!
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Cows with little calves are generally checked at least once a day, when actively calving several times a day.
    Someone may have missed that one pair is not mothered up, the calf is across the fence.
    By three days, she should have such a big bag you know there is something wrong, if you have not noticed before, unless the calf is nursing across the fence and not many do.
    Generally a calf nurses twice a day and a cow has a tight bag when it has not nursed once, so you know to go see what is going on, if the calf is sick, injured or across a fence.

You can try to push the calf back thru the fence, but careful, if the mother is there, she may come right over the fence or thru it to chase you off her calf.
    You can ease up to the calf and push it thru the fence, I doubt you can lift it over.
    If you can't get close to the calf, call the sheriff and tell them there is a little calf in the barditch and may run into the traffic and they will come take care of it, or find the owner.

I get those calls from the sheriff regularly with stray cattle and generally know who's cattle they are and who they need to call.
    If I can, I go get them back and fix the fence or knocked down gate, is what most here do.

Any time cattle are out, better call the sheriff, so they may not cause a wreck.

Good for you for noticing.

Also, the calf may be nursing through the fence...
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Calves are sometimes hidden by their mothers who wander off grazing while the calf is tucked away in the weeds somewhere. He may truly be stuck outside the fence or may be figuring out a way in/out and just liking his hiding spot...or could be stuck and nursing through the fence. Most calves can get through the barb wire out here (NV) where it is usually either three or four strands. Be careful of momma cow though...they are remarkably quick and persistant in guarding calves (have seen them charge a horse and literally get a head under the horse...with rider....and pick it up off its feet...that one was fortunately a polled cow so didn't gore the horse). If you can't get him shoved back under/through the fence call the local sheriffs office (non-emergency # if listed) and give a great description of location and they'll find the owner or come out themselves and help the calf....lots of deputies here at least are also animal owners so have the experience to do this. If you see this again get the calf help as soon as possible...they can/do dehydrate and crash pretty quickly.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Default Good update I think!

I think this had a happy ending. This morning we drove by and couldn't find them. Turned around and drove up and back again to make sure we didn't miss mamma and baby and we felt sure they were not out there any more. I can't be sure he bounced back but I am hopeful as I know he at least moved away from the fence line.

We did spot two more, much larger calves out but they weren't the size I felt I could help so we called the sheriff's non emergency line, got transferred to animal control, and were told thanks for letting them know. Apparently others had called them in and the owner had been contacted.

I am better armed for any future cow breakouts and I appreciate the info and suggestions!

JYI, it is good to keep the local phone #'s of animal control and any other animal emergency contact info. For example, I now have the 2 local ac's, the Birds of Prey Center (put that one in after finding an injured bird in the median...turns out since he was an egret and not a bird of prey, it was up to ac) and a wildlife rehabilitator. I have called several times regarding cattle. I reported a farm that had no water available for the cows (trough turned over), cows that were loose and most recently, for a stray cow down near Lake Jesup, which is home to 15,000 alligators...ac said it was normal for cows to be in that field, to which I replied I knew that, but this cow was by himself, no other cows around and he was laying down. It just looked odd. They thanked me and told me they wouuld contact the owners. Anytime I see an animal in need, I make a phone call.
    Lori T
    www.calypsofarmeventers.blogspot.com
    www.facebook.com/LTEquine for product updates on the lines I rep

My goodness aren't you having a bad day!!
    Hope nothing REALLY worth being upset about happens to you today.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

That is good news, that the calf is back with its momma. Did you do the good deed?
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MunchkinsMom View Post
    That is good news, that the calf is back with its momma. Did you do the good deed?

I went in early to have time to do something, drove slowly up and and down the road looking for him, but he wasn't outside the fence anymore. I did call the sheriff to report two larger and more rambunctious calves being out on the other side of the road.

I am so releived he and mamma are gone. Hopefully it worked out well. Now if the rest of them would stay in!

I apologize for my over the top response to the OP. Sometimes I forget that there are people younger than myself who don't have my life experiences. Not that I've ever even touched a cow, but I do know enough to call the sheriff.

But three days people... that's all I'm saying... three days....

and we don't know that there was a happy ending. We just know that there is no longer a calf by the side of the road.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

I apologize for my over the top response to the OP. Sometimes I forget that there are people younger than myself who don't have my life experiences. Not that I've ever even touched a cow, but I do know enough to call the sheriff.

But three days people... that's all I'm saying... three days....

and we don't know that there was a happy ending. We just know that there is no longer a calf by the side of the road.
    Yes, I guess a calf on the side of the road for three days and needing to get on a bulletin board to figure it out could cause the blood pressure to rise. But then, I just had to get animal control out for an older mini pony with severe skin infection, I treated it myself after waiting a couple of days to see if anyone noticed she was making herself bald, then I could stand it no longer. Now everyone in this little keep to yourself and protect your friends neighborhood (well the ones involved) are ticked at me for "causing a ruckus". Sometimes I wonder why I bother, but then I saw the cute little mini face who would trot over to me for treats. It's okay, really I don't care whether people act like the rear end of a horse. See my face matches my hair now and I am stylish just like everyone else in the burg.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy