The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 'Colored' upper level event horses?

I've always had a complete fetish for colored sport-horses and especially Thoroughbreds.

So who knows of real-life successful colored eventers? Share your pictures/links/stories?

(Focus on the upper-levels or sport-horse/TB types- I'm well aware that at the lower levels, just about any breed can get around!)
    Last edited by solstince; May. 21, 2011 at 06:10 PM.

Oh man did I mis-read the title of this thread!

I'm afraid to say I don't really know of any... except maybe Max's Project Runway who I think is running at the ** level. I think the horse is a WB, tho.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

There was a REALLY nice 4* horse maybe 10 years back or so named "Montana Native" that ran around Kentucky, and Pippa Funnell had "Bits N Pieces" who did Badminton and Burghley. Allison Springer had "Presto" that did a 3*.

In the present day, in Area 4, Phillipa Humphreys has a very fancy paint that will run a 2* this season, and in the UK, there is a 4* horse, Patris Filius who has been very competitive at Advanced.

Uptons Deli Circus competed up to two star level. There's also Polly Jackson's Two for Joy, who evented at four star level.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

I have a B/W ISH who was very successful at CCI** with his previous owner:

Ringo at Jersey Fresh CCI** 2008

Our partnership has been more rehab than anything else, alas, as he unfortunately suffered an injury about six months after I bought him, but I still can't really describe how lucky I feel to have him in my life. He's a seriously cool character and a great teacher

Quote Originally Posted by VicariousRider View Post
    I'm afraid to say I don't really know of any... except maybe Max's Project Runway who I think is running at the ** level. I think the horse is a WB, tho.
    Aww, he's flashy. Looks like he's a Trekhaner. From the link you posted:

"My up-and-coming young horse-- he’ll be six this year. He’s a Trekhaner gelding named Project Runway. His barn name is ‘Devon’ and he’s out of Darren’s stallion Windfall. He was Reserve Champion at the Young Event Horse competition in the four and five year olds. He did his first preliminary at Galway Downs this past November and won the dressage"

Default Poltroon

ridden by Torrance Fleishman (sp?) like the margarine. in the 70s?

My husband won a great deal including the Area III champs show and overall, at Prelim on the little (15.1 hand) half TB

Final Design (2005)

Patris Filius:

http://www.horsehero.com/resource/36...nsor2large.jpg

http://www.horsehero.com/resource/36...nsor5large.jpg

"Filius is believed to be by a Gypsy Cob stallion out of a flapper mare — this clever coloured with the brain of a pony and the stride of a horse helped Britain win team gold at the Young Rider Europeans in 2005."

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/225403.html

Presto (RIP) was ridden by Allison Springer but owned by COTHer GotSpots.

There was afairly loud Appy named Naughty By Nature who I believe did Advanced as recently as a few years ago. Not sure what happened to him.
    Click here before you buy.

Erin Kellerhouse has brought one along that is a black and white paint. Not sure of it's breeding. WB cross I believe. She has been doing super well with it through intermediate. They are a great combination.

The colored horse, Peaceful Warrior was ridden by Chris King and Bettina Hoy at the Advanced level. Supposedly the horse 'Tonto' had a suspensory injury and came back, but not sure who's riding him these days.

Exclamation

Poltroon of course, wasn't there a UK bred, Pompadoom?
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Our breeding focus...minus a few very terrible set backs...has been, overo painted Pure Thoroghbreds and more recently 3/4 and 7/8 TB - Irish Sport Horses. Even though we lost Jagged Illusion, his one and only foal is a now two year old ISH (3/4 TB) who is a stunning seal brown and white overo. She should mature to about 17 hands.
    This year we are breeding a couple of the painted Thoroughbred mares to our 1/2 TB-1/2 RID stallion by Touch of the Blues. These horses have the TB look and movement with just a touch more bone and great brains! Our hand picked mares should produce horses suitable for several different sports.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com The ISH filly is not on the web site - I don't want to sell her!!! Here is a baby and a yearling picture.
    http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/...Irish%20Flirt/
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

My wonderful puppy dog chestnut/white appendix was very successful through preliminary and doing well when he moved up to intermediate last summer till his injury. but hopefully he will be back in action by this fall. I would add a pic link but my technology is being stubborn. See more about him here: http://www.tabeventing.com
    www.tabeventing.com
    http://www.tracey-eventblog.blogspot.com/

"A canter is a cure for every evil." - Benjamin Disraeli

Love this thread! Have always wanted a paint sporthorse. I will make it a reality one day. I know you're not supposed to horse shop based on color but I'm sorry I can't help it!

Shirley Aronson rode a pretty loud appaloosa named "Jet Legs" and I believe won the 3* at Galway Downs among other events at the upper levels. The horse was given to her, he was difficult and no one wanted him, and he went on to be very successful.

there were some great pictures of them on the internet but I cannot find them.

Thanks for all these names, great to know that they're out there...

This thread needs more pictures!

I'd be especially interested if anyone has seen/heard of any creme horses (palamino, perlino, cremello, etc) having any success at prelim or above. I have an extra special soft spot for those guys. Or any true-blacks with chrome. Those are my FAVE!

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    Our breeding focus...minus a few very terrible set backs...has been, overo painted Pure Thoroghbreds and more recently 3/4 and 7/8 TB - Irish Sport Horses. Even though we lost Jagged Illusion, his one and only foal is a now two year old ISH (3/4 TB) who is a stunning seal brown and white overo. She should mature to about 17 hands.
    This year we are breeding a couple of the painted Thoroughbred mares to our 1/2 TB-1/2 RID stallion by Touch of the Blues. These horses have the TB look and movement with just a touch more bone and great brains! Our hand picked mares should produce horses suitable for several different sports.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    cross creek, thanks for your link! Looks like you have a few Puchilingui great-grandbabies around? Have any of your homebreds done well with Eventing?