The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fly boots - pros/cons?

I'm exploring the idea of more fly protection apart from my go-to fly mask and bug spray. The mare is a bit, ahem, dramatic about the flies and absolutely hates them. I hate to put a fly sheet on her because she's a sweater as it is, and the weather in NC is quickly turning hot and sticky. Instead I'm exploring the option of protective fly boots. In theory this seems like a great idea - it would eliminate a lot of dramatic stamping, and hopefully keep her much more comfortable.

My main concerns are safety and durability as she is out 24/7. I am usually out to see her every day but that is not always the case, and I would be concerned about something happening, i.e. a boot slipping, etc., or something equally annoying and or/potentially dangerous.

What can you tell me about the pros/cons of fly boots, and can anyone recommend any reasonably priced brands? I see Roma makes a set of 4 for under $30. Are these totally useless? I've very much liked my other Roma products (saddle pad/boots, etc.) but this would be my first fly boots purchase...

Thanks!
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

A Voice Halted

My horse knew how to take them off within an hour. I would make sure you watch her for a little while and make sure she doesn't do this. I had kensington boots. They were made really well. My horse just knew how to take velcro off!

GOOD LUCK!

Quote Originally Posted by bizbachfan View Post
    These rubbed my horse horribly! I left them on for 24 hours during turnout for 1 day (to see if there would be any issues) and I'm so glad I checked at the end of day 1. He had rubs that not only had the hair off, but was down to the skin. Poor guy. I've never put them back on. It wasn't just one leg either, it was ALL 4.
    Cindy

I've had good luck with both the crusader and "fly wraps" brands.

The only downside I can see is that in mud they get really crusty, so I always have two pairs, one to wear, one to wash, just like masks.

Most of my horses take them off or they fall of somehow in the pasture...then my husband runs them over when mowing. I wish there were a slinky type, that wouldn't come off. I guess that would be hot though.

I purchased the fly boots from Schneiders and love them. I have had them on both of my horses for about 3 weeks now and not a single rub or issue. Even with galloping around, they stay up pretty well. My young horse lays down a lot to nap and his will get turned around but other than that, no issues. I notice a def improvement in the amount of stomping they do as well. I like the Schneiders ones b/c they have various sizes so you can measure your horses legs and get ones that fit very well. They have 2 kinds and I got the kind that have 4 velcro tabs.

Heres pics of my horses in their fly gear.... btw it gets HOT here in NE FL too (already 95 this weekend, not including the humidity) and the duramesh fly sheet from Schneiders (similar to the Kensingtons) really does not make them barely any hotter - it has really good airflow, def helps with the bugs (and horseflies) and sun protection.

My mare I still have her in my friends old mosquito mesh fly sheet for the time and it as well does not make her hot (mine are out 24/7 except to eat but I do bring them in for 3 hrs or so in the middle of the day once it really starts to warm up)
    http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._7285872_n.jpg

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5550815_n.jpg

This is my young horse with the duramesh fly boots and sheet. As you can see, they stay in place well in action
    http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5424224_n.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Mali View Post
    These rubbed my horse horribly! I left them on for 24 hours during turnout for 1 day (to see if there would be any issues) and I'm so glad I checked at the end of day 1. He had rubs that not only had the hair off, but was down to the skin. Poor guy. I've never put them back on. It wasn't just one leg either, it was ALL 4.
    Wow I guess every horse is different. My horse is very sensitive and I can leave the Kensingtons on for days with no rubbing or issue. (though I check them every day)

My 30-year old TB HAS to wear fly leg wraps when the big bugs are out (deer flies, horse flies, etc.). The bugs used to destroy his legs . I'd show up to feed dinner and he would have big, bloody spots all over his legs - it's almost like he wouldn't even bother to stomp his legs to get them off so I had to do something. I bought the Cashel ones and some cheapo generic ones (4-pk for $10 - no brand on them). I hated the Cashel ones (but absolutely love their fly masks!) - they were too stiff and too short. Now the cheapo ones were the best thing! They stay up, don't rub, leave no gaps so nothing can get trapped inside - my old guy is a much happier horse now and no bloody legs!! I bought another set from my local tack shop (only place I'd ever seen them at - but this tack shop tends to have stuff you won't find in regular tack shops) - my mare will wear them this year too.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

I tried Kensington fly boots on my mule who is in pasture last summer. They didn't stay on more than a day, and I never even found them in the pasture!

Obviously experiences will vary, but just be okay with losing X amount of money if you try fly boots and be pleasantly surprised if they stay on!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

My horse just loved her fly boots when we lived somewhere with a lot of flies! Pros: she didn't stamp and relaxed as soon as I put them on. So they did exactly what I bought them to do. Cons: if she stepped in mud, the mud wouldn't always dry completely under the edge of the boot. Not a problem for me since I was out every day to wash her off, but could be a problem if left uncaught for a while. (Of course, ideally there is not a lot of mud in summer!) I didn't have problems with rubbing or twisting and they lasted a whole fly season out goofing off in a herd out 24/7 sometimes and in some nights.

I would recommend a Weaver fly sheet if you're having trouble with sweat in hot, humid weather. The material is super light and stands away from the body of the horse a bit so there's no clinging. The one I had had a neck and belly cover for extra coverage and was super tough.

ETA: My horse is not one to mess with her clothes and so I had no concerns about her losing the boots. I would never have considered them for my gelding who would have got them off in a matter of minutes.

I use these:
    http://www.flywraps.com/

My gelding wears them 24/7 this time of the year and we haven't had any problems with them....

Quote Originally Posted by bizbachfan View Post
    Kensington always comes to mind when people say their horse would be uncomfortable in a fly sheet!! I'm in SW Fl in the land of near fatal humidity and high temps and my horses wear them 24/7. Here not only are the flies pesky but mosquitoes can be deadly.

I have one guy that wears his fly boots too...they might not look too nice right about now but at least his legs aren't pink with blood from the biting flies!!!

Love them!
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

I've had Kensington fly boots on all four legs of my guy for the last five weeks and he hasn't had any trouble with rubbing, slipping, or twisting.

I'm out there every day (I'm on part-board) and I do always groom and/or hose him, so I do take the boots off and put them back on every day, but I don't think it's necessary.

All in all, I am SO happy that I bought the fly boots because they do make a big difference -- my horse is comfy and protected instead of constantly stomping.

I got the Roma ones for a friend last year. Here very sensitive mare was recovering from an injury and we figured the less stomping, the better. She loved them, never had a problem with rubs or anything. But, the mare was not turned out and she's not a chewer, so she may not be the best example.
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

I've tried the Roma, Cashel, Original Fly Boots and the Kensingtons. I put the boots on for evening turnout and remove and rinse them daily. FWIW, here are my observations:

The Romas are very lightweight and have the smallest mesh-almost looks like mosquito mesh. The will droop down after use, but the are more durable than you would think looking at them. For the price, they are a good fly boot.

I love the Cashels-they are my favorites. They are sized so if you have a larger horse, you may need to order the Warmblood size. I have a Tb/Han mare(16 hands) and her 3/4 Tb son(16.3) who wear a horse size in front and WB size on hinds. The other horses here (15.3-16.1 hand) Tbs were the horse size on all four. The boots fit more like a custom fit but if they were too tight I can see where rubbing would be an issue.

The Kensingtons are also a really nice boot. If you have a horse with puffier lower legs, they have a bit more room than the Cashels. They hold up nicely and are easy to use. They are my second favorite boots.

The Original Fly Wraps are nice but don't hold up as well as the Cashels or Kensingtons. They start drooping within the first few weeks of wearing. I prefer the Cashels or Kensingtons for around the same price.

I would recommend removing any of them daily because sand and such can collect underneath them.

I have a sensitive TB and had great success with the Kensingtons. They fit well (he is beefy and large boned) and they don't collapse like some of the cheaper brands. I think I am about to start my third season with the same pair. He pretty much wears them day and night for as long as its buggy. He has a stall with an attached paddock so he comes in/out as he wishes. The boots have held up well.

Quote Originally Posted by animaldoc View Post
    These are great (and I believe they're American-made too!)

Very good quality, they stay on and they're easy on the horse's legs. I had a Gelderlander who was a left-hind leg stomper...all summer long, it was a competition to see how much left hind hoof he'd end the summer with. Terrible time all summer long with his feet. He always had a fly mask and sheet on...didn't matter. I put these on the boy and no more stomping, his feet did great all summer. Don't get green, you'll never find them.

They was well too. I had 3 sets and would wash them after 5 days or so.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"