The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Are CWDs good for a long legged rider?

Are CWDs good for a long legged rider?

Not long enough to need a special order longer flap, but certainly need a saddle that has a bit more forward and longer flap.

Tx.
    Sonoma

Everything from CWD will be a special order as they are a custom saddle.

I have very long legs and I love mine. Maybe your best bet would be to look for a used one. The long flap is 3L and forward is 2C...don't quote me on that as I am not 100% sure
    "Using draw reins without spurs is like going to the bar with no underwear on. You're just waiting to get f***ed."

OK, so instead of "special order" I meant regular flap. Tx. I am looking for used.

Yep, I've ridden in a few different models and they're GREAT! I'm 5'7" and 90% legs ^.^

Yeah they are great, both my bf and I have stupidly long legs. We both have 4 forward flaps, and have ordered 2 more with the same flap in barn. It just depends on how big you are looking for, every once in a while they pop up used.

Yup, another one with long legs here, 5'9, 135lbs with long femurs... I have a 17.5" 3L (long flap). Look for a "3L" for a long flap with an "equitation cut" to it if you don't have an insanely long femurs and don't like to ride really short, or a "3C" if you want a longer-than-standard flap with a forward cut. Their forward cut is very forward, I think more so than most people actually need.

4L/4C is a very long flap, I can't really imagine someone south of 6' needing one that long.

"I'm 5'7" and 90% legs "

Same here, JumptheMoon.

Sonoma

3 anything should be plenty long, C should be plenty forward.

I'm 5'8 or so and have a 17 3C that I like well enough.
    friend of bar.ka

I'm not tall, but I have very long legs for my height. I have the 2C flap and its perfect!

Is your height in your thigh or calf? This makes a HUGE difference. I am 6'0" and the forward(3C) flap way WAY TOO FORWARD for me and put my leg in a horrible position. I have the 3L and its perfect as even the flap on that is pretty forward as it is a jumping saddle.
    "Using draw reins without spurs is like going to the bar with no underwear on. You're just waiting to get f***ed."

Thanks again all. Hola - pretty normally proportioned leg, I guess. Maybe a bit more towards calf length than thigh.

Thanks again, guys, so very much !

Sonoma

Because they are nearly always very custom, both to the horse and rider, it's *hard* to find a used one that fits you and your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by sonomacounty View Post
    Thanks again all. Hola - pretty normally proportioned leg, I guess. Maybe a bit more towards calf length than thigh
    I'd definitely go with the "L" in this case if you don't have the opportunity to test drive them first.

CWD are good for any riders

I had a rep out and she said I fit a 5 Forward flap, but because they *never* go that big, that she'd put me in a 4??? I ended up finding a used albion eventing saddle. I liked the CWD's though. I guess in your situation, you'll just have to ride in them first because they'll all be different. Good luck!