The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is This Fact

Never mind!

I know (at least, I thought I knew, haha) there's at least one town or county where you are supposed to, but I'm not sure that's state wide...

did find this, thank you google:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2010/rpt/2010-R-0473.htm

Connecticut law treats horses as personal property, requiring municipalities to assess them at 70% of their fair market value. But it exempts those used exclusively for farming from the tax and exempts the first $1,000 of assessed value for horses used for other purposes (CGS ยงยง 12-91 and 12-81 (68)).
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

was that person a financial expert? Tax adviser?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I would think maybe it might be different level of property taxes - in some areas where horses are considered agricultural a property owner might have the benefit of paying a lower real estate tax because of having an 'ag" business. A friend of mine has a farm in an area which is zoned R-2 (2 acre residential lots) and because of her boarding business she is currently paying the lower ag tax, however if she sells she's going to get slammed w/ having to pay back ag taxes

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    I would think maybe it might be different level of property taxes - in some areas where horses are considered agricultural a property owner might have the benefit of paying a lower real estate tax because of having an 'ag" business. A friend of mine has a farm in an area which is zoned R-2 (2 acre residential lots) and because of her boarding business she is currently paying the lower ag tax, however if she sells she's going to get slammed w/ having to pay back ag taxes
    But that's on the land...not horses....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    I think she might find that it's the new owners that are slammed. Typically rollback taxes kick in for the person who takes the property out of ag. Therefore technically as long as your friend keeps it in ag until she sells it, she should be OK. If the buyer takes it out of ag, she will get slammed with rollback taxes on the value of the land for a certain number of years. Here it is 5 years, not sure if that is just TX or across the board.

Certainly that's my understanding.