The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fleas

Has anyone else used Sentry XFC for fleas?? I switched most of my pack to it last year after Frontline Plus became both too cost prohibitive and ineffective, I have on edog in the pack who had what we think to have been a serious reaction to the Sentry, so he still gets Frontline, but everyone else is on Sentry. I also use the Sentry on my cats.

If you use it, what's been your experience?? If you don't use it, or Frontline, what's been your best flea and tick preventative??
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

Don't waste your money on Sentry, etc. It is permethrin. That is why it is so cheap. It doesn't work. Well, unless you count being toxic to cats.

Spend the bucks and get Frontline/Advantage/ect. Fleas are getting more and more resistant and harder and harder to control so go with the best you can swing before you develope a serious infestation.

I love my Revolution. I use it for my cats and my dogs (and have even used a teensy bit on a rat that had mites!) It is NOT cheap though.

I don't use it on my cats anymore because they aren't outdoor cats (had caught a flea way back when from a visiting dog and got a major infestation within days - the Revolution killed every flea in my house within a day) but I use it on my dog and have never seen a flea on her (and we take her everywhere).

I think the one disadvantage of Revolution is it's not so great for ticks? But there are collars you can add for that if you don't encounter them often (so you could throw one on for a hiking trip or something).

Comfortis is an ingestable one that is also supposed to be great (not cheap though).

Fleas are such a disgusting headache that I just bite the bullet and stick with the good stuff. The cheap stuff often doesn't work and it can be dangerous (the OTC stuff is notorious for causing mega-issues).

Revolution is the best product out there for cats!
    It:
    -Kills adult fleas (Ctenocephalides felis) and prevents flea eggs from hatching.
    -Prevents heartworm disease caused by Dirofilaria immitis.
    -Treats and controls ear mites (Otodectes cynotis).
    -Treats and controls roundworms (Toxocara cati) and hookworms (Ancylostoma tubaeforme).

No, it does not do much against ticks, but the things that kill ticks on your dogs will also kill your cats. Frontline Plus is the best thing for ticks in cats, but again, it will not kill them like the tick products do on dogs.

For dogs, the best thing for fleas is Comfortis.
    There is a new product called Trifexis out there for dogs that is pretty darn affordable and does the following:
    -Kills adult fleas
    -Prevents heartworm disease
    -Treats and prevents roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms

If your dog specifically is having tick problems, getting a Preventic collar, using another product such as Vectra 3D may be an option. It is not recommended to use Advantix on dogs that live in households with cats.
    Last edited by Pancakes; May. 19, 2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: emphasize certain things

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
    Revolution is the best product out there for cats!
    It:
    -Kills adult fleas (Ctenocephalides felis) and prevents flea eggs from hatching.
    -Prevents heartworm disease caused by Dirofilaria immitis.
    -Treats and controls ear mites (Otodectes cynotis).
    -Treats and controls roundworms (Toxocara cati) and hookworms (Ancylostoma tubaeforme).

No, it does not do much against ticks, but the things that kill ticks on your dogs will also kill your cats. Frontline Plus is the best thing for ticks in cats, but again, it will not kill them like the tick products do on dogs.

For dogs, the best thing is Comfortis.
    There is a new product called Trifexis out there for dogs that is pretty darn affordable and does the following:
    -Kills adult fleas
    -Prevents heartworm disease
    -Treats and prevents roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms

If your dog specifically is having tick problems, getting a Preventic collar, using another product such as Vectra 3D may be an option. It is not recommended to use Advantix on dogs that live in households with cats.
    Nodding head = ) This is a great summary of what info I've gotten from vets and friends.