The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default QH Mare companion/therapeutic horse. 21 years. Sweet, sweet, sweet.

This mare in in retirement in NY with our very own Classic Sporthorse. She has been with her a year and has been doing well. She was retired so far North because she has COPD and cannot stand the southern summers. Her breathing has been very good and she has only needed a bit of Dex. She has had problems with navicular in her RF but it improved with proper trimming and she has remained sound at leisure. My husband was laid off months ago and the savings is dwindling fast (and justifying a horse in retirement...which non-horse people just don't get). This mare is so sweet that I have bent over backwards to help her at the end of her life. But, I can't be crazy and let my family suffer (even though that is hard for me! hahaha). She would make a wonderful companion horse, I think she may have many good years in her as a therapeutic horse and I feel sure she would willingly let wheelchairs, and any extra equipment near her or anything. She could be bred and she has produced one beautiful cremello foal (I rescued her with the foal). This is something you would have to take up with your vet and whether he/she thinks the COPD is heritable, she has wonderful Skipper W papers so the foal would be fully registered. I think Jean has ridden her a little while she has been on her farm and she has had no problems.
    Gracie
    Her foal. She was starved when I got her and the foal.

She is in Marathon, NY.
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

Bump.
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi