The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default Rules gurus--FEI Rules questions--What is "an event"

4.1 IF there is any doubt with regard to fitness to compete the Ground Jury may with Medical Advice eliminated [sic] the athlete at its discretion.

All Athletes that have had a fall during training or competition must be examined by the Official Medical Officer before they either take part in another test, competition or leave the event site. The athlete is fully responsible for ensuring that this examination takes place and in case of a horse fall, that the horse is examined by the Official Veterinarian.
    4.2 ACCIDENTS INVOLVING ATHLETES - The following will apply to all registered athletes taking part in FEI Eventing competitions:
    1. UNCONSCIOUSNESS AND/OR CONCUSSION: When an athlete has an accident that results in unconsciousness and/or concussion, the athlete must be automatically disqualified from the competition and is ineligible to
    take part in any other test or competition at the event.
    The FEI eventing rules (Rule 505.4.3.3) provide:
    3. NO ATHLETE MAY RIDE MORE than 4 horses in any one day of cross country at a Three Day Event.
    Rule 501--definitions:
    1. CCI - Three Day Event
    A Three Day Event comprises three distinct tests, taking place on separate
    days, during which an athlete rides the same horse throughout, namely:
    1.1 DRESSAGE TEST - A Dressage Test spread over one or more
    consecutive days, depending on the number of athletes, directly followed
    on the next day by:
    1.2 CROSS-COUNTRY TEST - A Cross-Country Obstacles Test, the Cross-
    Country will be directly followed on the next day by:
    1.3 SHOW JUMPING TEST -
    And that's all they say.

Rules gurus--if a venue holds several different levels of CCI on the same day, how do these rules apply? 4 horses per level? 4 all day total?

It sounds as if the requirement for Medical permission to continue would apply across all levels at the same venue. Is that the case? I did find this in the 2004 FEI Eventing Memorandum under their Guidelines section:
    Any rider who has had a fall is required to get clearance from the Chief Medical Officer before riding a second horse and/or before taking part in the Jumping Test.
    but that doesn't address different FEI eventing competitions at the same venue on the same day.

Is Jersey Fresh CCI 3* considered a different FEI event from Jersey Fresh CCI 2* for application of the quoted rules? Or is it one event with different competitions, and if so, how do the above quoted rules apply?

Edited to add the following from the Definitions in the FEI General Regulations:
    Event: A complete meeting, "Show", "Championship" or "Games". Events may be organised for one or more than one Discipline.
    Competition: Refers to each individual class in which Athletes are placed in an order of merit and for which prizes may be awarded.
    Last edited by vineyridge; May. 18, 2011 at 04:05 PM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I believe VENUE means the location of the event/competition/show.

Viney, don't forget that there is probably several other rules that will apply, because....it's the FEI. And...officials can apply the other rules, if they want to...because...it's the FEI.
    But I'm a little fuddled because I'm not sure of the context of the application of these quoted rules...about Jersey Fresh? About something that happened at Jersey Fresh?

Oh adding that with regard to the no more than 4 horses rule...that applies to THE cross-country day. If all levels hold XC on the same day, then a rider is limited to four xc rides on that day. This is what I understand that to mean, from faintly remembering a quick discussion several years ago while jump judging with an FEI steward passing by on golf cart...but I thought it was three horses, not four, now.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Is the CCI limit on number of horses a holdover from long format? Four horses when a rider has roads and tracks and chase along with XC could be a very long day. In short format, it means about 40 minutes of riding.

One could make a rather specious argument that the FEI has determined that riding more than 4 horses per CCI XC day is unsafe even today.

Viney during the long format it used to be two. They could not cycle back around to a second horse in the time schedule when it included the other three phases, unless the rider with two horses went first and last.

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Viney during the long format it used to be two. They could not cycle back around to a second horse in the time schedule when it included the other three phases, unless the rider with two horses went first and last.
    Except for Rolex 1988. It was the final selection trial and one had to complete Rolex to be considered for the Olympic team. Bruce Davidson had 4 horse qualified and all 4 were entered. 1 Horse tied up in the vet box before phase D, another horse fell on XC and was retired - Bruce's ribs were broken in the fall. He then rode the other 2 horses through all 4 phases and in SJ the next day. IIRC - he placed 1st and 3rd or 4th plus made the team.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

The FEI could do with a complete revision and rewriting of its rules so they are clear and consistent, along with the dates of the rules and the revisions.

If the limit on number of horses per XC day was modified after Short Format, then the safety argument is somewhat less specious. But the limit doesn't apply to CICs, and I fail to comprehend why a 3 minute difference in XC course time should invalidate the need for a limit.

What is the rationale for the limit? Organizer scheduling woes? Horse and rider safety? Why couldn't it be applied across the board? Four horses per rider per XC day?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    The FEI could do with a complete revision and rewriting of its rules so they are clear and consistent
    The FEI, clear and consistent? You must be new.
    Day Care, Preschool, Grade School, High School, College, Job: When do I get to PLAY??

1 members found this post helpful.

Viney, a 3-min. difference on a cross country course -- HUGE difference, babe. Gigantic difference in what kind of course you are riding and how much prep you have to do.
    Number of horses per rider I don't think really is addressed for safety reasons (in this context, i.e., FEI rules). It's addressed because of organizer time restrictions and the necessity to stay on time for televised events in Europe. But have no illusions. They make it up as they go, and when it's clear as mud they blame translation.