The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Videos of dressage prospects?

3 & 4 y.o.s getting started under saddle. Videos of dressage prospects?

Any of you have nice young ones coming along you'd like share or brag about? I'd love to see what good quality young dressage horses look like with a month or two under saddle.

Thanks!

I have a 3 year old mare, however, as we are taking it slow we are just long lining (bare minimum at this point, W-T). If you would like to see a video of her on the lines I am more than willing to PM it to you. We won't be riding for a bit, as she has some growing to do.

I could post one of my pony and brag like crazy, but I don't know if she qualifies given the criteria!

Mine is 5 now and I have no recent video. But I let me tell you I had a total ZEN lesson with her yesterday. I exhale --she gets soft and rhythmic. And then does this fabulous canter on both leads. I was over the moon, trainer said best she's seen us do (yet). And no video to prove it.
    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

This is my mom's big gelding Don William. He was 4 on April 22nd. Liam was started in the late summer/early fall last year, had about 2 months off and then went to Aiken to see the world over the winter. He is really truly 17.2 and still growing, which is why he has gone and done quite a bit already - too big to not be in a program! Liam does have his own page on our website if anyone wants to see the cute duckling-year/yakling-beginnings of a swan stages and there a bunch more videos and photos. I did ride him at his first schooling show 2 weeks ago and we got a 7.5 in the 4 Year Old Test...no major bobbles, just a bit of tension in the canter - which is my fault as I am wickedly unfit.

There are 2 other 2007 geldings that are undersaddle as well. Whodini & Wall Street were started in February of this year and are coming along nicely. Since they're about 6 months behind in leather time and missed out on a trip to Aiken, they aren't quite as worldly as Liam is but we are expecting them to catch up quickly over the summer.

Our 2008's are learning to loose school, jump through baby grids and wear tack currently. They will be started undersaddle (for real) in June/July/August of this year.

ETA: Oh and yes, we are primarily a dressage barn. And I am most definitely a dressage rider.

1 members found this post helpful.

Hello TR-
    Here's a link to a video of my 5yr KWPN gelding from last year. http://www.youtube.com/user/Boviro01#p/u/8/2L0qKKe1ZlA. At the time he was about 6 months under saddle. In this video I am beginning work to establish contact. He is naturally very light in bridle and now even as a 5 year I still would like him to take the bit more confidently. I have posted additional videos on YouTube that catalog our progress over the past year. He is a very large and heavy boned warmblood, last year was all about conditioning. I have him now very forward, so currently schooling on taking down the tempo but keeping the energy.
    Enjoy!

1 members found this post helpful.

Boviro01,

I watched some of your older and current videos, fun to see his progress. Thanks for sharing!

Tasker, your video links don't work on your site.

Since nobody yet has posted a video of a youngster with only a month or two under saddle, I'll go the other way--here's one of ours on his fourth day under saddle, as a coming 5yo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H6lXWgb_Lo

We did spend a good period on the longe before backing him, so he had the muscle to carry himself fairly round. He does go a little low for my taste at times but he's still working out the contact/head position thing with a rider here and I'm trying to just let him work it out.

And here's a little Andalusian-cross 3yo at two weeks under saddle in the pouring rain--he was trained to drive before we bought him, which made him very easy to start in some ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ibG6ldWs8w

He's moving conservatively here, what with the newness of being under saddle and the rain, he developed more swing later. Here he is out in the fields:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....44047712293377

Sorry about the no-helmet/casual dress here. I have a new helmet I love, and I wear it every time I ride these days!

TR - I'll work on the website today. Thanks for letting me know the links aren't working! If you guys have a chance, please poke around and let me know if there are other pages/links that aren't working. (thank you so much)

Does this work?
    Whodini
    Wall Street
    Don William

Wizard w/ 20 days of U/S training, then about 3 weeks later. He had about another week with Roddy and then was turned out to grow until January that next winter. Here's his first ride back after the break. Then after 3 more rides with Ryan.
    Last edited by Tasker; May. 19, 2011 at 08:01 AM.

roja.raou Guest

She is a huge mover! She is forward and rhythmic as well, which is a big plus in lower level dressage.
    She is built slightly downhill, but I think you can correct some of that when riding if you ask her to carry more with her haunches.

Roja--which horse are you talking about? I only see links to geldings above, from 3 different posters, so no "she" . . .

littlemanor,

very nice.

Well, here's my guy that I like to think is a nice young horse. This was in March where he's still 4, but coming 5. He is about 6 mos under saddle here, but still very green for lack of CONSISTENT work. And I really think he'd be even nicer with a better rider than me, and with regular work. We were working on W-T and baby leg yields, and then we did some canter on the lunge line because he needs work on balance. The trainer had tried to canter him (not on the video) before that and he was really "humping" into the transitions and heavy on the forehand. So she put him on the lunge to sharpen up the canter.

He is now 5yo and STILL not on a consistent work schedule due to the rain rain rain we have been getting here in Cincy. I don't have a ring and ride on a grassy field at home, so since it's still MUD MUD MUD I cannot do that safely. I have to trailer him out every time I want to ride, and I can only afford to do that 2 times per week. I can't WAIT to be able to start riding him at home and get him REALLY going this year!

He is an Oldenburg NA by Mannhattan (Furioso II/Wendepunkt lines), out of an RCMP mare by Gaucho (Matcho AA). Interesting lines, mostly jumper/all arounder types, but I think he'll make a nice dressage horse one day!

http://www.youtube.com/user/notasoccermom30

Thanks everyone for sharing! This is great.

This is my little dude - well 16.3 hands, I'm just very tall.

He's a jumper prospect, but I'm entertaining the idea of showing this one dressage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aym4qZfINnw

His lengthened canter in the last 40 seconds of the video has me all giddy.

Fun to see how he kind of compares to all of your lovely horses.

OOOOHHH he's a nice boy, tidy! If you put him together a bit more, he'd do some nice dressage work for ya! And color to boot! Is he by Sempatico?

thank you!

He'll be 3 in June so obviously we don't do much of anything yet.

Yes, he's by Sempatico out of a very nice BWP mare.

When I first saw him at 4 months old, he galloped across his pasture and did that lovely lengthened canter and I had to cover my mouth and turn away so the breeder couldn't see my expression. I tried to play it cool. I was smitten.

He's very wiggly. This was the first ride where he went fairly straight for any amount of time.

I tend to prefer jumper bred to dressage bred a lot of the time - because I go more for collection ability and jump at the canter than fancy trots.

That said, I loved WBLover's horse at the trot. Tracking up so easily and softly, even if green and a little naughty.

I'm really enjoying this thread - fun to look at the videos, and think about what I want in a future young horse for me, that's realistic and a good fit for me and my skilled/unskilled areas.

Tidy - I definitely could see Ollie doing some dressage. And if nothing else, it'll help his jumping.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

*Sniffle*...Ollie, so grown up...where does the time go.

He looks GREAT!
    Proud Member of the "Tidy Rabbit Tinfoil Hat Wearers" clique and the "I'm in my 20's and Hope to be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Here's my 2008 KWPN filly 60 days or so under saddle. I had only had her back from the cowboy trainer for 10 days at this point and I was working on accepting contact and forwardness with her. She accepts contact quite well but the forward part we are still working on...she's a lazy lass . Love her to bits though!
    She's by the Oldenburg stallion L'andiamo, out of an imported international showjumper mared who is by Zeus and out of a Voltaire mare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esOnIhZb4FI

Only 30 seconds long