The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question 2 month old filly - too big??? Update - started Foal Aid

I will preface this by saying I am a newbie breeder and this is my first foal.

Filly was 2 months old yesterday. She is currently 48" tall (and butt high) and the weight tape is between 320-350lbs. She seems so much bigger than other foals of similar age and even breeding.

Dam is a 17.1hh TB who does throw big. She is also big bodied herself. Sire is Cunningham, 17.1hh Holsteiner.

Filly basically just nurses. Momma eats Omolene 300 supplemented with Alfalfa Chafhay and is not big on sharing but baby can sneak a bite here and there. She does nibble on grass and is out 24/7.

Joints and proportions look good, IMO. Was at vet last week while momma was being bred and no problems were noted. Everybody just went on and on about how big she was!

2 conf pics from yesterday...not the best but hard to photograph a VERY friendly filly all by yourself.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?p...&id=1359927263

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?p...&id=1359927263

Full FB album with pics since birth - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=958d4fce08

I guess the point of my rambling post is...
    Should I be supplementing her in any way to support her rapid growth (if she is indeed growing too rapidly!)?
    Last edited by JenRose; May. 25, 2011 at 11:15 PM.
    Animals are not disposable!!!
    http://www.pawsnela.org

She is one big girl, and very pretty.

Nothing more to add, I just like the photos!!

I want her and her little pony friend!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Horses destine to grow big tend to grow quite fast in the early stages. *I* would want nutritional support for that, even if the calories are just fine.

What JB said. Rapid early growth is linked to DOD/OCD. You want to make sure the foal is getting all the amino acid, cal/phos, copper/zinc and protein building blocks it needs to complete ossification in all joints.

I would (and have... on fast-growing foals) be giving a shot of adequan once a month, starting at 4 months for six months. There is no science to back up the Adequan, just conversations with some folks on the big TB farms and their anecdotal stories of OCD reduction when yearling sales surveys are done.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Best way I know to support rapid growth is to supplement with Rejuvenaide or Rejuvenaide Plus (by Progressive Nutrition) or Foal Aid (by Buckeye). Progressive Nutrition's nutritionist, Don Kapper, has a long standing special interest in this particular problem, breeds WB's himself, and he and his company are very good about answering questions, even to the point of analyzing your horses' present situations/diets/general management, and designing rations to meet their individual needs. If you call Progressive Nutrition's 800 number, I'm sure they will be glad to help.

Default Update -started her on Foal Aid

Got Buckeye's Foal Aid. The big baby LOVES it!

How long should I plan to give it since she is not having any problems and I am using it as a preventative. I also plan to ask my vet about the once monthly Adequan once she is 4 months old but they don't have a ton of experience with
    WB babies due to the area I live in.
    Animals are not disposable!!!
    http://www.pawsnela.org