The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wink Any H/J riders in MD/PA/DE/NJ feel like trying Eventing on 5/28??

We have a fantastic small unrecognized event that is struggling with extremely low entries.

It's an awesome facility, the jumps are fun and not trappy. They allow the dressage tests to be read aloud and the water jump and ditch jumps includes options so you can skirt around the "more difficult" stuff that your horses may not want to try to jump.

Really this place is loved by many area eventers and I am at a loss to explain the huge drop in attendance. They have extended their entry deadline til next Monday to help lure people in.

All info is here:

http://www.oldehopefarms.com/HERE%20...s%20Summer.htm

If you're close to the Eastern Shore of Maryland, please consider it. This is a lot of fun and maybe we could have a little friendly competition between the COTH board members.. for bragging rights only!!

~Emily
    Last edited by Xctrygirl; May. 18, 2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Added detail
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

How close to Chestertown MD is this?
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

The bummer for a lot of us H/J folks is that it's DURING the Devon Horse Show. Notwithstanding, I am going to try to make this work!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

To the Max,

Roughly 20-30 from Chestertown.

(Where I went to college.. so I actually know this answer!)

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I graduate from WAC on Sunday!
    Anyway, this sounds fun...I've never ventured outside of my H/J world! Maybe if I can convince the BO to come with me and hold my hand I just might bring my guy!
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

You could try posting on liequine.com, its free to post an event and maybe you will get some Long Islanders to enter.

I would absolutely love to, but it might be a bit of a far haul for us.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

BAC...

While that's a great idea... I really think 4+ hours down the turnpike and beyond for an unrecognized lower level event might be a tad much.

Just as a rough guess.. It's 182 miles each way from Belmont Park to this event. The entry fee is only $85 and gas and tolls for an average trailer will put you at 3-4 times that. Especially with Long Island gas prices!!

But hey, anyone... pass the word... ya never know.

~Emily

You're right Xctrygirl, I didn't figure out the dollars and cents of it. LI has so few opportunities for eventers I thought maybe MD wouldn't be such a stretch. But especially with gas prices being what they are, it was not my brightest idea.

Hey no crime!!

Eventers can be passionate enough to drive 370 miles for a little unrec!!

I gurantee if they did they'd have a blast!!

It wasn't a bad idea!!

~Em

I have a friend who regularly shows this with her greeny and she loves it!

Very welcoming and I've never heard a bad thing about it

If I wasn't currently horseless I'd go
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

I hope it works out! I've heard its a great facility! I miss the eastern shore (I was there yesterday but who's counting...)

Bumping to see if we can lure in someone!!!

~Emily

Consider cross posting this to the hunting forum. There are lots of hunts inthat area, and perhaps some of those riders would like to try your event for some fun in the off season.

Default Count me in!

I think I might have to try this! I've shown hunters for 40 years and never evented. I think I did a few dressage tests when I was in pony club many many years ago. I've been thinking about trying this and have a green but very willing partner right now who is very average as a show hunter. I think this could be his thing. I'm only a 1/2 hour away, so if I can find a vest I'm in!

gzeegirl, I promise you that someone would be happy to loan you a vest. The only thing eventers like more than an awesome xc run is indoctrinating someone new to the sport.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

As I said in the eventing thread, I have 2 vests and am happy to share!!

~Emily

I have shown at olde hope since I was 8 years old. It really is a great place and this is coming from someone who really doesn't like eventing! (did when I was a kid in PC but i prefer my fences to fall down if I crash into them )

The jumps aren't scary and are nothing more than you would see in a traditional hunter course. It would be great practice for someone hoping to do the derbies in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

i'm dating myself, but is Olde Hope the olde Middletown PC grounds or close to it?
    Xctrygirl, I'll take you up on the vest depending on the size. I've never tried one on, but I'm probably a large.

It's about 25 mins or so from Middletown.

And you're not that old. I well remember the MTPC grounds.

My vests are both 36 tall's. But we can tighten or loosen the strings as needed. :-)

~Emily