The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Whining....and more whining...update #17

As I've said before on here, I'm a middle aged overweight wimpy beginner. Bought my horse last August...he's a really sweet guy, very quiet under saddle, though pretty green on ring work, and can be jumpy on the ground (startles easily). Overall, though, he is level headed, learns quickly, is great on trails, and has great potential. Since getting him, we've had all kinds of starting and stopping...I had knee surgery and couldn't ride for a couple of months; he got kicked and was off for a few weeks; crisis at work where I couldn't make it to the barn for a couple of weeks; he was backsore - I had saddle fitter come out and he said my saddle didn't fit at all. I ordered a semi-custom saddle three months ago. Finally got it 10 days ago, and was SOOO excited. I feel so much more comfortable and secure in this saddle, and he moves much better in it. Had a great lesson last Thursday (finally cantered him!!), and was going to do my first show on him this past weekend. Only walk/trot, but it was a big deal for us! Somehow, after going into his stall Thursday night and coming out Friday morning, he managed to injure himself. Maybe kicked/knocked himself on his front leg? Really not sure what he did. Now has swelling on the tendon. Stall rest for the next 7-10 days...icing his leg 2x per day. Just seems like every time we start making progress, something happens, and we take a step backwards. I'd just like to be able to have him healthy and be able to ride regularly and make steady progress!

OK, whining over, thanks for listening!
    Last edited by nevertoolate; Jun. 6, 2011 at 03:55 PM.

It so sucks when life gets in the way. Hang in there! You will get to enjoy him and the new saddle eventually.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

just a bump in the road. not a stop sign, just a speedbump.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Let it be one more lesson why beginners should learn taking lessons on different horses until they are further along.
    A beginner with their own horse are handicapped by the money that one horse costs to buy and maintain and that it is just one horse to ride, when with all that money they could be taking all kinds of lessons on several different horses and become proficient sooner, so they then can enjoy their leased or owned horse quicker once more advanced with their riding.

I hope your horse gets well and stays well for you and that you don't have any more setbacks yourself, so you can get ahead with your riding and so enjoy it more and more.

At least, you can see it as learning patience, that is always a good lesson too.
    Also, you are learning much else about horses, if not to ride.

Welcome to the wonderful world of horses!!! It sure seems like everybody else is out there having a good time all the time with their horses but its always one thing or another!! Sometimes it is tough. Sometimes you have to suck it up and push through your time constraints. Many many times I have ridden super late at night or skipped a meal or lunch break because it was the only time I could get to ride. You just have to really make the effort because your horse is just going to have issues, it's a given. Some are more prone to it than others of course. And since you are just starting out, there will probably be more issues to attribute to that (ie a bad fitting saddle). But it seems like you ARE making forward progress (canter, preparing for a show, trail riding) and that is good!! Focus on the baby steps. It's not all going to happen in leaps and bounds, no matter how smoothly things go. Hope things start getting on a better track for you you!!
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Hey it sounds like you're doing great. Don't let this little blip in the road slow you down. Just look at it as lessons in horsemanship!
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

You made the cardinal mistake of mentioning the show witin his hearing, a sure bet for him whacking himself.
    Jingles for his quick recovery and lots of progress for you this summer
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Good luck! I guarantee you that had you gotten an insane horse that you didn't get along with at all, it would have never been hurt or sick. However, perfect horses have a tendancy of getting hurt! At least it seems that way!!!

When I got my too good to be true Hanoverian gelding he got pnemonia, a shoe boil, an abcsess, and kicked all within 6 months!

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

OveroHunter,

I think that the clueless rider who doesn't even think of a horse's comfort, etc., also usually ends up with a horse that is impervious to injury and disease.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Get all this out of the way now, and then have years of "no worries" and fun riding. Well, we can dream can't we.......?

Hugs OP. Hang in there. I know how you feel. Although not a beginner, I've had one setback after another with all of my personal horses for the last 10 years. In all those years I've only ever been able to ride in a show on my own horse twice!

I've learned that any day I can ride is a good day. Showing has become a 'maybe someday' dream, LOL.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Your horse had a case of "There's a Show Coming Up-itis"!

It happens. Hang in there. Life happens. I've had my mare for 20 years. I used to ride daily. Between my schedule and some health issues, I haven't ridden since oh...well, it's been many months. Poop occurs.

Minor set back. Keep your chin up and welcome to the world of horses!

Good luck!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Keep the faith nevertoolate, this too shall pass. I had a similar situation with my horse. Bought him in October, 2009. We were set to do our first show April, 2010 and I was soooo excited! A few days before the show -- stone bruise

But we haven't had any real issues since (a few minor injuries because he is a little accident prone, but nothing serious enough to keep him from showing).

There is a lot of show season left ahead -lots for you to look forward to!
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

There are two things you never, ever do in the horse world:
    1. Brag to the vet about how great things are going with your horses.
    2. Discuss your show/event plans within earshot of your horse

Do either, and you will pay dearly for it each and every time! Now, go into your horse's stall, take down the calendar he has hidden behind his water bucket on the wall, give him plenty of hugs and kisses, and make plans for the next show!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Definitely a speedbump, and horses, well, they do this to us. You can bubble-wrap them, and they'll eat the bubble-wrap and choke on it, as a friend says.

I just went through a very long layoff with my mare -- 8 months of no riding at all, and now, in our 7th month of riding, we can finally do more or less a complete ride, an hour lesson, whatever. During that time, I did what I could to keep riding on other horses, and am a better rider for it. Even if all you can afford is a lesson on a schoolie once a week, it will help keep you going.

I will say that my relationship with the mare improved greatly during all that time off; I wasn't rushing to get her tacked up so I could ride, so I spent a lot of time just observing her and figuring out what makes her tick.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

LOL! I definitely think he is show-phobic! This was the second show we were going to do...the first one he wound up being "hitchy" due to the saddle, so I scrapped that one as well. There's another adult beginner at the barn who is showing in the same classes, and we had been bantering back and forth about who was going to win. He's gonna be thinking I'm just too intimidated to show against him!!

Hopefully it won't be too long a lay-up, and I'll take a couple of lessons on school horses until my guy is back. It's always something!

After 2.5 weeks of stall rest, finally got the vet okay to start walking him under tack. Went Thursday night in the indoor and he was nice and quiet. Went out Friday in the outdoor, and he was nice and quiet. Then decided to go around the bridle paths with someone else. Bad decision. Started out nice and quiet, and then the horses out in the fields started running. That was all it took for him. He spun around and took off, and I came off. We caught him and all is good with him. Me, on the other hand, not so much. Thought I was okay, but my arm started really hurting. Finally went to the doctor yesterday, and turns out I fractured my elbow. Doctor now says 6-8 weeks before I can ride again. Someday we will both be sound at the same time!!!!

Oh goodness! Well, look at it this way, you are getting all the bad stuff out of the way at once. Hope you heal quick.

OP: I broke my wrist a week after getting my first really "nice" horse as a teenager. I was determined that it would not ruin my plans...hint: one can ride well in a cast, and splitting the seam underneath the arm of a hunt jacket makes room. Ask me how I know.
    "While people are arguing over whether the glass is half full or half empty, I'm just gonna drink it and be thankful." - Cowboy

Track to Trimac Thoroughbreds on Facebook!!!

It's likely way easier to ride in a wrist cast than one that immobilizes the elbow in a bent position ....

Many years ago, Easy slipped on wet grass and sort of fell sideways at the canter ... I somehow landed on the point of my shoulder, and bounced. When I got up, I could not move my right arm (and I am so right hand/side dominant it is crazy!). Somehow, I managed to ride with my arm strapped to my body, using my left hand to hold 4 reins from a pelham. Although I was an adult, my father freaked out when he looked out his window and saw me jumping courses that way!
    Mal:This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then .... explode