Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy GVRDC Canceled - updated with pics from CT

Big bummer, but not surprised with this freaking weather.

Can we please make up a STOP THE !*(&@#*(&#@ RAIN dance already? I've seriously been outside of the ring twice this spring at a WALK because it is so wet.

*sigh*
    Last edited by EventingJ; Jun. 6, 2011 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EventingJ View Post

Can we please make up a STOP THE !*(&@#*(&#@ RAIN dance already? I've seriously been outside of the ring twice this spring at a WALK because it is so wet.

*sigh*
    Its raining like crazy in VA too... I love/hate it..I want enough rain but this is too much! we are in the middle of putting in a ring (!!) but have halted right before we can put footing in bc the ring has become a pond!

*sigh*
    EventingJ - do go sign up for the Combined Test at Lehman's. It's the same day, 6/5 and you'll more than likely be indoors so who cares if it rains.

I'm with you though about wanting the rain to stop. I can't get my lawn mowed, let alone my pastures. I've gotten 2 of the 3 larger grass pastures mowed once and the weeds are growing like crazy in the 3rd one. I know if I try to get the mower in, I'll just get stuck as I got stuck mowing one of the other pastures already when we had that dry spell and I wasn't even able to get that whole pasture mowed anyway. I think I'm going to have to get a flock of sheep in to graze down the pastures at this rate. For sure the 2 horses I have aren't going to be able to do that.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I was looking forward to jump judging Lol. Hopefully they'll need my help at Lehmans.

Hopefully they'll put a new date up for XC schooling on the site, that's what I was looking forward to with my greenie!

Rain? What is that? Haven't seen any of that, in any amount that matters, since last summer!

If only you folks in the east could ship it to OK and TX!!

Paintmare, me too . Hopefully things will dry up enough for Stuart.. but at the rate we're going, who knows.

Disappointing that it's cancelled but for good reason. It's just a mess and even if it stops raining here it will take much longer to dry out. Better safe than sorry.

You beat me to it, EventingJ...

Majorly bummed! My horse has been going soo well and we were to do our first Novice at GVRDC... I don't have many open weekends for the few local HTs, so to have one that I can go to and have it cancelled, sucks the big one! Still debating on the CT, we've been doing jumpers to prep for stadium and dressage is usually not our issue. I was really looking forward to running around XC.

I am understanding and seeing my yard which stays pretty swampy under normal conditions, I can only imagine what Hideaway looks like! I wonder if GVPC is going to cancel too...

I will gladly package these abhorrent rain clouds to the midwest, just pay for postage! I mean seriously folks, we've already surpassed the average precipitation for May, not to mention April was the same and the record snowfall. I'm a mile uphill from the Genesee River (before the Mt. Morris dam) and it's scary how high the water was from the Spring thaw and how high its staying! I can only imagine what those people down South are going through with flooding...

ETA: 11 1/4 freaking inches of rain since March!!
    http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...r-steady-rains
    Last edited by Heliodoro; May. 18, 2011 at 11:18 AM.

On the weather this morning all they said was 'more of the same'!! ;(

We have not seen sun here in about 4 days...it's 45F and drizzling rain and at least there is no wind..

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

I'm worried about GVPC, too, Heliodoro, not to mention the Bobby Costello clinic at Stuart (the xc portion) I signed up for x.x or GVH schooling I really would love to do!

please rain go elsewhere- where people would love to have you stay awhile!

Default JFS

We are still grateful to Jackie for allowing us to do a CT at Stonegate. All fences for stadium were set and then had to be moved into the sand ring. It was an enormous task. I have never seen rain like we've had this spring and if this keeps up for any longer length of time, more spring events will be at risk.

Don't you just *love* Rochester weather?

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Don't you just *love* Rochester weather?
    This isn't Rochester weather, it's the first sign of the next "Great Flood"!

Unhappy

I've been in the Rottenchester area since 1972 and I don't even think Hurricane Agnes gave us this much rain! And Agnes was a one-time occurrence. I've never seen this much wet, be it rain or snow combined, ever. Heliodoro is right with all the heavy snow and excess rainfall, all the early events are in jeopardy.

I just mowed my regular lawn and 2 pastures and I set the blade at the highest setting and I really wasn't sure I could get through the grass. One of those pastures had already been mowed once too. I'm really surprised I didn't get stuck too.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

It isn't just you guys. Maine's the same....I don't mind riding in the rain but the ground at my place is clay and there is no way to do ANYthing but walk here. I have to ship 45 minutes to an indoor so I can trot a 20 m circle!! I think the sun has been out a total of 4 days since mid April. How will I ever get my hay in? I can't get the machinery onto the fields!
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by MeghanDACVA View Post
    Rain? What is that? Haven't seen any of that, in any amount that matters, since last summer!

If only you folks in the east could ship it to OK and TX!!
    It doesn't seem fair does it?? We are having a lot of rain too. We do have sandy soil so it doesn't inhibit my riding too much :-) Just say to yourselves that it gets the hay growing and a bumper crop should keep prices more manageable??? We grow our own alfalfa and it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    It doesn't seem fair does it?? We are having a lot of rain too. We do have sandy soil so it doesn't inhibit my riding too much :-) Just say to yourselves that it gets the hay growing and a bumper crop should keep prices more manageable??? We grow our own alfalfa and it looks good.
    Oh gosh I think the rain is too much and will be a flop for the first cutting at least. There is hope for maybe later in the season. It's awful here. I think prices will go up.

I think all this rain has been wrecking havoc on the farmers, unfortunately.

Another one bites the dust - GVPC Spring Event is now canceled as well. I did send in my entry for the CT at Lehman's, but now I'm scrambling to figure out another event to do (that won't be canceled!) maybe Lost Hounds?
    Last edited by EventingJ; May. 20, 2011 at 06:10 PM.

I think all this rain has been wrecking havoc on the farmers, unfortunately.

Another one bites the dust - GVPC Spring Event is now canceled as well. I did send in my entry for the CT at Lehman's, but now I'm scrambling to figure out another event to do (that won't be canceled!) maybe Lost Hounds?
    When is the CT? I'm a hunter considering becoming an eventer, so I'd like to come and watch you eventers do 2/3's of what you do .