The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default This is the plan?

I don't know why I read the commentary from CMP in Eventing magazine. He's supposed to be the leader, the point man for our Olympic team heading for London in 2012. It does not sound promising for the US of A. He whines that " It actually sort of sickens me that the Brits can come over here with their third and fourth string horses and clean up most of the Rolex prize money year after year." Yep, me too. And excuses for not doing well (again) like "For if I could match horses and riders the gold medal in London would be guaranteed. Regrettably those days enjoyed by Jack Legoff have gone."
    Yep, and for quite some time now, so what's the game plan?
    "It's not too late though, if you have a horse you would like to see go to London, call me, or the team and we can help find the best rider to fulfill that dream."
    That's it? That's the plan for 2012? Hoping people will call in to offer their horses for the Olympic team?

How much matching of horses and riders did the coach for the WEG Silver medal team do? Or did he just work with what he had and inspire them to exceed all expectations?
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

I also found it extremely offensive, and almost started a thread.

CMP always seems to blame everyone else, besides himself. He refuses to understand that many, many owners are sitting on the sidelines because they refuse to submit their horses to HIS program.

Perhaps they don't want their horses run off their feet trying to qualify or perhaps they don't trust his ability to match horse to rider (e.g. maybe people don't want their horse sent to Karen, Amy, Phillip or the other very few riders in CMP's circle), or perhaps they aren't willing to "toughen up, cupcake" when their horse is lost.

Mark -- try to get a clue.... IT'S YOU ... not us.... YOU!

Don't whine about a lack of support or tell us we don't have national pride. LOOK AT YOURSELF. What have you done to inspire us, in any way. Heck, I will even accept - what have you done not to alienate us?

.... The answer... nothing. You are getting EXACTLY what you deserve.

Pride (National or otherwise) is found in looking out for the horse. It's called horsemanship -- look into it.

Badger,
    For all that I think the Canadians are awesome and their WEG performance was a sight to behold, it's somewhat unfair to compare the US to the Canadians. There were almost no external pressures on the Canadian riders at WEG. They rode to the best of their abilities and when the dust settled, after other teams self-destructed, the Canadians had their well deserved medal. But if other teams had performed to expectations, the Canadians wouldn't have had a medal.

The US selected a team where, at their best, they would have had a shot at a medal even if other teams had performed to expectations. I know I'd prefer the Canadian option, insert some young blood, accept that you won't medal if other teams perform as expected but know you'll put yourself in position if they don't but I'm not sure CMP has that luxury of accepting that going in.

It will be interesting to see who we have for 2012. I'd say PD on something, Boyd on Remington, Karen on Quintus and one off Will, Sinead or Jennie. I don't think that's a medal contender. We'll see.

I don't mean to sound like a downer, but has anyone else already written off expectations for US performance in London?

I am not implying that I won't cheer and pray for each and every US team rider, but I pretty much feel like -- Let CMP have his swan song at home, and I'll start to be hopeful again after a regime change.

And, yes, I understand that it might only be a "kinda-sorta different-ish" change!
    No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle.
    -- Winston Churchill

I wrote off the entire four years when they renewed his contract in 2008.

Of course I have hoped that there would be riders who made it against the odds and Gina Miles was one of those. But, the program as a whole was a mess in 2008. I will forever wonder what the heck the people that renewed that contract were thinking.
    Last edited by SevenDogs; Jun. 7, 2011 at 12:23 AM.

Two words: lame duck.

Emphasis on the 'lame'.

The quote here implies that there are herds of advanced horses competing in secret somewhere. Which I find amusing.

I mean, heck, there can't be more than say 50-100 horses currently at advanced in this country, and certainly not all of those are legitimate London horses. I know CMP is at all the CCI 3 and 4 stars, so isn't it a good bet he already knows about all these horses? So one can assume he's already asked and been turned down, or he hasn't asked and wants these mythical London horses to fall in to his lap.

What horses is he talking about?
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SevenDogs View Post
    Of course I have hoped that there would be riders who made it against the odds and Gina Miles was one of those...
    So what has happened to Gina Miles, anyway? She was such a bright spot on the team in 2008...
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    So what has happened to Gina Miles, anyway? She was such a bright spot on the team in 2008...
    From what I've heard (and don't quote me on this, could very well have gotten it wrong) Mac was retired and she bought a prospect or something. Rumor had it she was aiming for 3* this season but I haven't seen/heard of her at anything... who knows.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Default THIS!

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Two words: lame duck.

Emphasis on the 'lame'.
    Yes, I was going to use this term exactly. I was just afraid to jinx anyone with the word "lame"!
    No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle.
    -- Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFarm View Post
    The quote here implies that there are herds of advanced horses competing in secret somewhere. Which I find amusing.

Actually, I have a whole herd of them in my backyard. They have all been secretly training in the dead of night, like The Black Stallion did. They can all perform Grand Prix dressage AND jump around Rolex sized courses in their sleep.

If you want one, I'll only accept payment by Western Union.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

riderboy is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    Actually, I have a whole herd of them in my backyard. They have all been secretly training in the dead of night, like The Black Stallion did. They can all perform Grand Prix dressage AND jump around Rolex sized courses in their sleep.

If you want one, I'll only accept payment by Western Union.
    Oh Thank God! We're SAVED! Wheww, I guess CMP's plan is working out after all. On behalf of a grateful nation, Thank You!

Somewhere over the rainbow, 4* horses fly . . .

Sorry, that's the image I got from his self-entitled plea.
    http://thoughtfulequestrian.blogspot.com - My Ventures Into Eventing

Perhaps he wants us to buy them from Britian.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Colin Davidson's Crackerjack is for sale through Boyd Martin. Price--undisclosed. which brings up the question "Where's Draco?" He could be finished by next October. Is that the kind of horse that CMP wants?

Here's a plan. Kill off most of the ULRs and reassign their horses to the TEAM riders that he prefers.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFarm View Post

I mean, heck, there can't be more than say 50-100 horses currently at advanced in this country, and certainly not all of those are legitimate London horses. I know CMP is at all the CCI 3 and 4 stars, so isn't it a good bet he already knows about all these horses? So one can assume he's already asked and been turned down, or he hasn't asked and wants these mythical London horses to fall in to his lap.

I think what he is trying to say is that if owners have their horses with lesser known, out of the circle riders, and they want them to get to London, call him and he will gladly have you pull that horse out from under the rider and give it to a chosen one, but I could be wrong.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

That's exactly why I quit reading that column. I flip through hopefully every issue hoping it's just gone away....

The appropriate response to this column?

Toughen up, cupcake.

(This is what we get for $250K/year. )

Ohhh I know! Let's all take a trip out to a Texas stock yard and see if there aren't some "wild mustangs" that look suspiciously like Tbs or Irish Crosses and see if we can't train them to go Rolex and then the Olympics in less than a year. Seems like a viable option to me