The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default housecat HELP

Hi. Does anyone have any recommendations for an EFFECTIVE cat litter? Whatever my daughter uses is definitely NOT working. I've never had housecats, so what do people use for odor control?????? Thanks for any and all advice in advance!

I like Tidy cat scoopable for multiple cats.

But you do need to clean the box daily.

I clean my boxes minimum once daily, often twice, and always right away (if home) when one of my two cats um, goes #2. Regularly, I fully empty the box and wash it out and am a big fan of Nature's Miracle when cleaning the box.

Frequent cleaning is the solution. Cat litters with lots of added scents, magic crystals, and the like can (in some cases) be really off-putting to the cats given how sensitive their sense of smell is (if you can smell it, then they can to the nth degree). A simple clay litter can sometimes be the easiest thing to use. Cheapest, too. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN the box. If a litter says you can scoop every few days - phooey. Yuck. Cats are fastidiously tidy and keeping their litter boxes scooped daily seems to me to be a good routine.

Sometimes, too, when their 'leavings' are really stinky? The answer is what are they eating, not the kitty litter. But seriously, scooping often (daily, several times a day) is the best solution. Kind of like cleaning a stall, and then picking it as the day goes on, kwim?

anyone have anything else to try? Or does everyone agree with the Tidy cat for multiple cats? They both work long hours, so I'm not sure it gets scooped out every day and they have 3 cats. I'm going to be spending a lot of time there over the next year while daughter undergoes medical treatments and current odor will absolutely kill me.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjen View Post
    I clean my boxes minimum once daily, often twice, and always right away (if home) when one of my two cats um, goes #2. Regularly, I fully empty the box and wash it out and am a big fan of Nature's Miracle when cleaning the box.

Frequent cleaning is the solution. Cat litters with lots of added scents, magic crystals, and the like can (in some cases) be really off-putting to the cats given how sensitive their sense of smell is (if you can smell it, then they can to the nth degree). A simple clay litter can sometimes be the easiest thing to use. Cheapest, too. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN the box. If a litter says you can scoop every few days - phooey. Yuck. Cats are fastidiously tidy and keeping their litter boxes scooped daily seems to me to be a good routine.

Sometimes, too, when their 'leavings' are really stinky? The answer is what are they eating, not the kitty litter. But seriously, scooping often (daily, several times a day) is the best solution. Kind of like cleaning a stall, and then picking it as the day goes on, kwim?
    THIS.

Get scooping minimum 2x/day....you will keep Kitty from using the rest of the house as a litterbox, which should be enough motivation to do scoop patrol.

All the additives do is make it easier for people to ignore the litterbox. Cats will get fed up w/a dirty toilet---wouldn't you?

I made it as easy as possible for me to scoop multiple times a day--I have bags right there next to boxes along w/Fantastic, Nature's Miracle, and a hand-held vacuum. I then use the poopbag to throw out any garbage laying around. My 2nd floor is free of flotsam at all times--a big plus.

Ya just gotta bite the bullet and scoop.

Just saw new post...3 cats need at least 3 and preferably 4 boxes...that might be the problem. Best of luck to your daughter. If you can help her sort out the litter problem, I think she will greatly appreciate it. Kitty stink can make anyone sick, and 3 cats will keep you hoppin, but them's the rules when you live with that many indoor felines. Its why I only have 2 cats--3 litterboxes is my limit.

Personally, I found that unscented litter is much less disgusting when used-the perfume smell on top of the poo-pee combo is miserable. Like when I was on a train to NYC and sat next to the Chanel No.5-laden lady who also reeked of vomit....blaaaagh...

Good luck, Minnie!

I like scoop away or the arm and hammer one that has the word feces and urine on it (I cant remember the specific name). I also buy the arm and hammer carpet powder and sprinkle that on top after I clean it and on top of the dirty litter before I close the bag. It helps a lot. I have 4 cats and 3 litter boxes b/c 2 share one box.
    "to each his own..."

just a horse obsessed girl who finds blogging way more fun than being an adult...
    http://equinerainman274.wordpress.com/

I like Fresh Step for multiple cats a little better than Tidy Cats. Also agree with multiple boxes. I have three cats and three boxes.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I use World's Best Cat Litter.

http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/

I have two cats and one litter box, buts its a big one, its actually a rubber maid container that I cut a hole in the top of to make a top entry litter box.

I clean it every day.

Tidy Cat Premium Scoops (small spaces, multi-cat, etc.) Works best for keeping the odor down with three cats and three boxes.

You can also try a covered box, but some cats will use them and some would rather go anywhere else in the house.

I'll put in another vote for Fresh Step. We have 4 cats and 4 litter boxes. It's my daughter's job to clean the cat boxes daily although there are times when she "forgets". Adding fresh litter as you remove the used litter also helps.

Tidy Cat multiple cat. We use regular and not scoopable.

http://www.tidycats.com/Products/Non...rformance.aspx

We have one HUGE litter box for 3 cats. They all share. Our foster has a bad history of not using the box so we're especially mindful of stank prevention.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

I like fresh step clumpable because the cats seem to like it.

A note of caution if you decide to try to help on this smelly situation: don't clean litter boxes with strong smelling or citrus scented cleaners--it will deter the use of the litter box. A better solution if the boxes have been urine soaked would be new boxes.

Generally speaking though, you want one litter box per cat and they need to be cleaned daily.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I use Fresh Step clumping with three cats and three litter boxes. No smell.

Besides all the advice above, one of the cats isn't a tom cat, is it? I had one turn up that I took in -- Good Lord, that was unbelievable! (and good incentive to get him neutered QUICK!)

If you don't think you can clean daily, you can also try an automatic box. They don't work long term (because with a lot of cats, the motors always poop out) but it will help with the cleaning.

I agree that the heavily scented litters just aren't great. I buy the huge jugs of litter from Costco (I have 4 indoor cats, so you can imagine how much litter is gone through), they have a light scent, but nothing overpowering. I will also sprinkle regular baking soda in the litter a couple times a week.

Tidy cats and covered box.

fresh #2 still stinks up the house but other than that I hardly notice the littler box. even with 3 cats. (the size of the box is more an issue than the smell)

I heard scoopable can be not so good for the cats, I think the small soiled pieces that remain in the box can cause problems. I prefer to not put so much litter in and clean it more often.

which depends on the cat, really. I have heard of cats that hate to go into a box they have already been in...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Quote Originally Posted by 53 View Post
    I use World's Best Cat Litter.

http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/

I have two cats and one litter box, buts its a big one, its actually a rubber maid container that I cut a hole in the top of to make a top entry litter box.

I clean it every day.
    My vote is for WBCL as well - 2 cats, litter box is in my office where I work all day, and it is not closed (since no closed box is large enough for 22lbs of Maine Coon Cat (he barely fits in the open jumbo box). So good litter is kind of important for me.

Two other recommendations are:

1. A really good cat food (TOTW, Core Wellness, etc.). It makes a difference in smell and quantity of that stuff that goes in the litter box.

2. For convenience, get a Litter Locker II and put it next to the litter box. I empty it once a week and again, no smell. Ever.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Default best, cheap and biodegradeable

I use Woody Pet or Labor Saver wood pellets (same as some people use in horse stalls.) No odor and it is more readily biodegradeable than clay. My 2 indoor cats like it just fine. Don't wet it as you might for a stall. It starts out as pellets, when used up it is powder, then out it goes. I don't care for scooping, and this stuff is cheaper than cat litter.
    Some cats have "surface preference" - are fussy about the texture under their paws. Offer a single litterbox of new product if you are changing over (in addition to other boxes of what you were using.)

I use Feline Pine and I have really good luck with it. I have no problem using it with three cats, they seem to like it.

I use the cheapo yelllow bag from WalMart ($4/25lbs), I have more cats than boxes, and I don't scoop

I do empty them 2-3x a week and WASH them. My LB are actually low flat storage containers approx 30"x24"

I have one cat who follows me around when I clean them, so he can be the first to use them! He uses them dirty too tho

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed