The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default destroyer of buckets! any ideas?

My sweet filly has decided any bucket within her daily world has become a toy to destroy..she crushes, chews, etc. How do you get them to stop or is there a bucket they can't destroy. if she doesn't destroy it, without the handle coming off, etc, she thinks its fun to dump the water all over, even if the bucket doesn't come off the wall. Any ideas to prevent this type of thing, type of bucket, hook? Have tried the pin type bucket mechanisms that "can't " be gotten undone by horse, and this actually makes it easier for the handle to be destroyed ...any ideas on how to keep a bucket in front of her she can't destoy? Already use a rubber pan for feed...which works...but that's not an option for water... also have given her toys to distract her..doesn't really work...thanks!

Why isn't a rubber tub an option? They do make black rubber tubs that hold even more water than a 5 gallon bucket, as well as livestock tubs made from other materials like metal. I've met a couple horses who had rubber water tubs because they were bucket destroyers. We just kept the bedding swept back from the buckets (water and feed) and dumped them regularly. You could even take a clean muck bucket and fill it partway so that it would keep the shavings out better than a low tub.

I have 5 gallon black rubber buckets. They do make those. I got mine because my mare used to break her plastic ones on a regular basis from rolling in her stall and clocking them with her feet. With the rubber buckets all she could do was slosh water out of them, they never broke. They make them in flat backed and corner shaped buckets.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

You can try baskets that hold the buckets or use a muck bucket on the floor (you'll probably have to tie it down). Both of these things worked with my mare who ripped her buckets off the wall on a nightly basis.

We attached milk crates to the stall wall and put the buckets into the milk crate...you can always secure them into the crate if necessary.

Second the muck buckets, but they do have to be tied down, and there is a chance she will put her feet in them and splash around.....
    Have her live outside - with a run in? You said "filly" so must be young and bored, and have quite the personality hehe. You could also try giving her a regular job if she doesn't have one. Anything to occupy her and make interest in her world. good luck!

Owning a horse whose idea of "fun" is destroying everything withing reach, I can attest to the tub on the floor being a great big "fail". All it will do is to teach her how to take a bath in a tub, which will make it a real problem if you have water troughs outside in the field.

I agree that she is bored and is trying to amust herself. Sounds like she needs to get out of her stall and live in a paddock/field. Habits she learns now will become ingrained and will become behavior problems later in life.

If she is in work, she needs to be worked hard enough to get tired, and also have 6+ hours outside. If she is not in work, she needs to be at a place where she can live outside with friends. At the very least, she needs a soccer ball in her stall -- something she is allowed to paw at and push around.

My guy is now 8, and he limits his quest for amusement to pulling everything within reach into his stall and stomping on it. This was a box of nozzles and tubing for my new fly spray system, packed in "popcorn". The thing it was sitting on isn't even in the picture. He has a very long neck when he wants something.
    http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...praysystem.jpg
    I used to be addicted to the Hokey Pokey but then I turned myself around.

ahhh... yes I have one of those. We fixed the situation by putting the bucket hook in the corner of the stall, so the bucket is touching two walls. Then took a 2x4 (would have preferred larger but we were using scrap wood we had laying around) and angled it across the corner, screwed that in place. The top of it is just at the top of the bucket. Now he can't get the bucket off the hook (but *I* can) and he can't bang it or crush it either. It's up high enough that he has yet tried to splash or get a hoof in it.
    As far as being bored, the poor guy is in his stall 1 hour a day, sometimes up to (gasp) 2 hours a day. He just likes to play.

Quote Originally Posted by bdrive View Post
    My sweet filly has decided any bucket within her daily world has become a toy to destroy..she crushes, chews, etc. How do you get them to stop or is there a bucket they can't destroy. if she doesn't destroy it, without the handle coming off, etc, she thinks its fun to dump the water all over, even if the bucket doesn't come off the wall. Any ideas to prevent this type of thing, type of bucket, hook? Have tried the pin type bucket mechanisms that "can't " be gotten undone by horse, and this actually makes it easier for the handle to be destroyed ...any ideas on how to keep a bucket in front of her she can't destoy? Already use a rubber pan for feed...which works...but that's not an option for water... also have given her toys to distract her..doesn't really work...thanks!
    stick it in an old tyre

Ugh, my horse used to do this as a yearling and two yr. old. I would literally find him in the am with both front feet in the corner feed bucket, just standing up there in it staring at me. "Look what i did today mom!" Eventually got rubber pan for ground and rubber water buckets hung pretty high to keep his darn feet out of them. Rubber is your friend...

Firstly, get an empty gallon bottle and tie it from the overhead rafters where she can reach it, but not pin it against a hard surface. Vinegar bottles work well and are durable. Secondly, can you hang the water bucket outside of her stall door as was mentioned for "bucket poopers"? If not, the corner mount with a 2x4 across the corner works well. ALSO - paint the edges - not where it gets into the water - with Raplast. A few licks of the tainted bucket should stop the destruction. It is from boredom, but an expensive, nasty trick!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma