The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best Place to Find a Quality Helmet

Sad to say I had a fall this weekend that has resulted in my gorgeous Charles Owen's demise. (And whiplash, and busting my new bridle, and a much more aggressive ride in the second hunter class.)

I need a new helmet and really do not feel like spending $500+, but want another CO or a GPA.

Is there anywhere online to find them for a bit less than retail stores like Dover? Or any deals currently running or coming up? I've heard rumors of finding Speed Airs for $350 or so - but I don't know that this was just hearsay or if I can actually do so.
    Veni vidi vici. With a paint pony, nonetheless.

Check the clearance area of Dover, they had a couple GPA's, not sure of size.

Also, eBay is usually a good source. I bought one there a few years ago.

I know GPA, and I think CO also, have restrictions on dealers regarding how much they can sell them for. When I was working at a tack store, we weren't allowed to sell GPAs for less than something like 10 or 20% off suggested retail. Because of this, it's hard to find deals on new ones. I looked pretty hard before I got my CO and really didn't find anything that wasn't used for significantly less than the standard retail.

Also, if you go too far off the beaten path, you start to risk there being faults in the helmet or it not coming as advertised. Best to be on the safe side when it comes to your safety.
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

Quote Originally Posted by luv2ride2 View Post
    Check the clearance area of Dover, they had a couple GPA's, not sure of size.

Also, eBay is usually a good source. I bought one there a few years ago.
    If you go either of those routes, be sure to check the date of manufacture. 5 years is all you get, no matter what they've been doing in the interim. Often drastically reduced helmets are past their use by date. Or they've been smacked... What's your brain worth?
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Depending on how long you have had your CO, they will credit you a certain percentage on a replacement. I had a fall within a year of buying my AYR8, and CO arranged for me to get a new one through Dover for about 1/3 of what a new one would have cost. Of course, the older your helmet is, the less of a discount you get on a new one.

If you go to CO's website, there is an incident form to fill out to get the ball rolling with them.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I've had very good luck buying from Amira - depending on the exchange rate, you can get a heck of a "discount"... for instance they have the Speed Air for $431 compared to Dover's price of $559, and I've found the shipping prices comparable even though Amira is shipping from Europe. I don't think they carry CO, though.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    I've had very good luck buying from Amira - depending on the exchange rate, you can get a heck of a "discount"... for instance they have the Speed Air for $431 compared to Dover's price of $559, and I've found the shipping prices comparable even though Amira is shipping from Europe. I don't think they carry CO, though.
    I second Amira. I bought a GPA Titium pro for about $300 + shipping ($45ish). Dover also has some GPA helmets on sale but often are really small sizes.

I got my new CO from England. I had to wait almost a month for it to clear customs, but I ended up saving about 80 bones on it, including shipping.
    There's coffee in that nebula.

Quote Originally Posted by Arelle View Post
    Sad to say I had a fall this weekend that has resulted in my gorgeous Charles Owen's demise. (And whiplash, and busting my new bridle, and a much more aggressive ride in the second hunter class.)

I need a new helmet and really do not feel like spending $500+, but want another CO or a GPA.

Is there anywhere online to find them for a bit less than retail stores like Dover? Or any deals currently running or coming up? I've heard rumors of finding Speed Airs for $350 or so - but I don't know that this was just hearsay or if I can actually do so.
    Most helmet manufacturers have a crash replacement policy, including Charles Owen. If you would like to call our Customer Service on 1-800-989-1500 x202 we would be delighted to assist you with more information.
    Janet Nittmann
    Corporate Communications Director
    Dover Saddlery, Inc.

CO's replacement policy is good... if you like your CO, use it.

GPA you can very rarely find on sale (I got my SpeedAir for a significant amount of ca$h off a few months back) and Amira, as mentioned, has them for a good bit of money off. Their shipping is pretty fast as well.

You can find a few decent deals on AYR8s on eBay as well. There is another British shop that sells them there for a lot of dough off.

I'm not sure how long you would be willing to wait, but international helmet awareness day is on june 11th. Last year many national and local retailers gave good discounts on the big name brands to celebrate.

See more information at www.riders4helmets.com or check them out on facebook.

eBay offers great deals if you know EXACTLY what you are looking for, and you buy "NEW" (would never buy a used helmet).

Equus Now, my favorite on-line tack shop, has a contest going on their facebook page. The prize is a new CO or GPA helmet. Even if you don't win, their prices are generally very good.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

http://www.farmhousetack.com/servlet...set/Categories

Check out Farmhouse Tack's closeout closet. They have a bunch of GPA's including a Speed Air for $350 if you happen to be a size 62.