The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Intro and a question about working students

So first off, I joined ages ago and then never did anything, probably because I was too busy with school and stuff. Anyway, I am 16 from south eastern NH. I am primarily an eventer but my current horse is more of a jumper/dressage horse so that is what I am focusing on.

Danny is my current project. He is a free lease, 17.2hh 10yr old hanoverian gelding. While he has had the same owner since he was 2 he has been bounced around a lot because she has been ill and so he has mostly just been at other training farms or out on lease. Because of that he hasn't shown much (first show was with me in march!). He is a big goof though, doesn't know his own strength, and can be quite a ham. I will admit that I had no idea what I was getting when we brought him home since he had been out of work for 4 months but he has turned out quite nicely. He doesn't really like water (aka he won't go in water) so I'll just aim more for the jumper or dressage ring than eventing. He hadn't jumped in 5 years when I got him in february but he has been fantastic about it and just last week jumped 3'9" under saddle like it was nothing.

a picture of him a few weeks ago

Now at the end of the lease I will most likely be selling him for his owner or buying him myself as I will be going to college.

Recently the option has come up for me to take a gap year and go work as a groom or working student somewhere before I go to college. This is something I would absolutely love to do so I figured I would see what you guys have to say about it. I am willing to go to europe (I will even be mostly fluent in german!). I would rather do show jumping or event than dressage but I have enough of a dressage base to be at a dressage barn as well. Thanks!

If you are thinking of being a WS or a groom, I would not buy the horse. I think without a horse you would have more options/flexibility if other opportunities arise. Especially if you are hoping to travel or go to another country. Not to mention the costs of horse ownership for a horse you may be riding very little or have little time for depending on the situation.

That is a wonderful looking horse, for someone settled and on a routine to keep training and showing.

Doesn't sound like you are there now and not only that, you will be traveling and needing any money you have for other than the expenses of a horse, so why not let him go and see where your life may take you?

As nice a horse as he is, he will make himself welcome in the right home.

I should clarify, I would only buy him if I am going to a college where I could bring him with me. Most likely he will be sold next september when the lease is up since he gets pretty bad when out of work (unless my mom decides she wants him as she rides as well)