The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Following on from the elimination thread..

..what has been your experience with top hats blowing off in the dressage ring??

It came up as a topic for discussion last year and I think the final consensus was that rider has to continue - even if the hat is lying in their way. It doesn't seem to be a cut and dried rule though, with competitors often allowed to be handed back their hat by a person on the ground.

I know someone once whose mother SUPERGLUED his hat to his head!! I think they had to cut it off his (floppy, blonde) hair afterwards!
    Last edited by Napoles; May. 17, 2011 at 10:58 AM.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Wear a helmet, of course. No problem then.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Wear a helmet, of course. No problem then.

Not a problem here now that USEA mandates helmets at all time when mounted.....

Jennifer

I'm a firm helmet wearer now, but back in the day, we rode in cowboy hats for the Western 4-H classes. They were always uncomfortable, nealy unbearably tight, so that they would NOT fall off. Aren't Top Hats the same way?

I didn't really mean for this to turn into a helmets v toppers thread.

It was more a discussion on the ruling of what happens if one blows off during a test and lands on the track - toppers are still allowed at FEI competition, so it's a current subject.

Like I said it was something that came up in a judge's discussion last year and didn't *seem* to be a cut and dried situation.

My topper wedges pretty firmly onto my head, but I can imagine it blowing off it high winds. (Easier in side-saddle because the veil keeps it on but that's off topic! )

my topper is oval and my head is pretty round, so it was tight enough to leave a really red line across my forehead and give me a killer headache if i wore it for more than 20 mins. great. so, nothing short of a cyclone would have blown it off my head...
    whenever i've seen top hats blow off, the competitor has just carried on till the end of the test and had it handed back to them at the end. i've only seen men's top hats blow off though, maybe because they'd usually taller, or because they usually remove them to salute, and so disturb them.
    i'm definitely going to wear a proper helmet from now on though, fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by kerilli View Post
    whenever i've seen top hats blow off, the competitor has just carried on till the end of the test and had it handed back to them at the end..
    Yep, that was pretty much the consensus, but the question was what if the top hat was lying right on the track where it would get squashed in the next movement?
    Imagine doing your medium canter down the long side heading straight for your 600 pound Patey!

I can't be bothered to t look up the FEI rules, but the USEF rules say
    EV134.17. The judge at C may stop a test and/or allow a competitor to restart a test from the
    beginning or from any appropriate point in the test if, at his discretion, some unusual circumstance
    has occurred to interrupt a test
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I have had it happen to me. I just continued riding the test. The judge did not ring the bell or otherwise indicate that I should stop.

I hated that hat but I was riding someone else's horse and they wanted 'the look' for the FEI competition.

I am QUITE happy with the new helmet rules, and the higher number of riders wearing helmets in FEI classes, as I can use them as a shield for such a situation should it occur again in the future.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    I have had it happen to me. I just continued riding the test. The judge did not ring the bell or otherwise indicate that I should stop.

I hated that hat but I was riding someone else's horse and they wanted 'the look' for the FEI competition.

I am QUITE happy with the new helmet rules, and the higher number of riders wearing helmets in FEI classes, as I can use them as a shield for such a situation should it occur again in the future.
    Lol, yes, I guess the days of hats blowing off are coming to an end!