The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Electrobraid Fencing For Temporary Fence/Rotational Grazing

I have electrobraid fencing on my farm and love it. Has anyone used it as a temporary fencing and if so how did you install it?

One of my pastures is also partially used for a small grass jumping field and contains a small dressage arena. I like to keep the area open so that I can use the entire field for conditioning, but the horses insist on eating the short grass in the jumping area all the way down to the dirt.

I would love to find a way to string up some electrobraid when the horses are in this pasture (I rotate pastures so they are not always in this field). Is this a terrible idea? I'm not sure how it would work since usually electobraid is installed with a lot of tension. I'm thinking maybe step in posts and some sort of clamps to attach to the permanant fencing. Ideas?

No reason you couldn't use electric tape (doesn't need as much tension) on step-in posts and attach it to the Electrobraid simply by wrapping it around the rope with electrical tape (make sure the contact is good) or some simple clamps. I've done that a time or two to block off various corners of an Electrobraid paddock.

As long as your perimeter is secure, a temporary barrier inside a paddock should be do-able with tape. Easy to work with, inexpensive, doesn't need to be tightened as much.
    Click here before you buy.

As much as I like Electrobraid, I'd probably use a cheaper and lighter in weight electric rope for temporary. It'll require less substantial posts and be easier to roll up when you're done with it or want to move it. I've had great success in the past with el-cheapo electric twine, even with yearlings. I use 4 or 5 strands for younger animals, my old mares will stay in with 1 or 2 strands- and for them it doesn't really even need to be hot!

Thanks guys! It sounds like an easy trip to tractor supply is in order :-D

Yep, DH bought the mid sized battery clips like you'd find on a battery charger and hooked them to el cheapo tape with step ins. He likes to clamp to the copper rope crimps to save wear and tear on the EB. Warning! even with the rubber handles you can get quite a shock, we have a chunk of rubber pool liner that we hold with so we don't have to turn off the fence. Simply wrapping and tying off would be a perfectly good way to get a temporary connection as well.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible