The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs down Pebble Beach trail rides?

http://www.ridepebblebeach.com/Trails/trailrides.htm

Has anyone done one recently? Any feedback? I might be spending a weekend in Carmel soon and have always been intrigued driving by the Equestrian Center... I'm usually not much of a trail rider, but have always wanted to ride on the beach somewhere.

(And will I get laughed at if I come for my ride with my own helmet? lol. NONE of their photos show any adults with helmets on...)

DD began her riding career at Pebble Beach, so I am very familiar with their setup. The majority of their horses are very sweet, and well taken care of. Some are older, to be expected in a string of trail horses. The horses are only used on one to possibly two rides per day and all horses get Mondays off so they are not overworked.

Your ride will be a standard nose-to-tail trail ride, and due to the terrain in the area it will be a walk ride if you are going on one of their standard packaged rides. The scenery is GORGEOUS and well worth the time spent in the saddle. We saw all manner of wildlife while we were out, including a herd of deer helping keep the golf course trimmed. The golfers literally just played around them and the deer never moved. Shows who owns that green!

You will certainly not be laughed at for bringing your own helmet, although they do have them available at the check in. I am much more comfortable in english tack and they were nice enough to put me on a mare who was comfortable going in an english saddle. We went on a private 2-hour trail ride for my birthday while we were there the last year, and they are wonderful people. Not sure if Pam is still the barn manager but if she is you are in good hands.

I wouldn't touch the rental place up in half moon bay with a 10 foot pole, however. Stick with Pebble and you should have a good ride.
    Sorry to see xtranormal is gone
    For funnies, search youtube for horseyninjawarrior!

Www.caringbridge.org/visit/mysecretgarden

Mr. Emryss took me on that ride some 15 years ago, and I enjoyed it very much. It was like alittlegrey's description.

They gave me a neat, rather saucy little mare to ride. She was well trained but had just enough "hot" to her that it was fun for me, even though it was a nose-to-tail walk.

Pt. Reyes also has very nice beach rides, by the way.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom