The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ceiling or exhaust fans for indoor arena?

My indoor has a tendency to get pretty nasty during the summer heat, and on the days when we have to ride inside because of rain it's just stifling. The sliding doors are small, and so the breeze never gets inside, and the footing gets dusty when it dries out.

What do you think would create a better indoor experience - ceiling fans to create a breeze, or a big exhaust fan on the top to pull out the heat?

Exhaust fan with proper placement of air inlets. Once it get very much above body temperature, moving hot air is still hot air. The ceiling fans will just push it down into the riding area.

You could use ceiling fans if the roof had natural ventilation, however. There are some very large ceiling fans available, with spans of 20+ feet.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Yeah, they are called Big Ass Fans.

Really!

A couple of barns in my area use them.

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Yeah, they are called Big Ass Fans.

Really!

A couple of barns in my area use them.
    Our neighbor has those fans in his indoor and they do help considerably in the summer heat.
    He is very happy with them.

A lot of indoors around me have the Big Ass Fans (Lexington Area) as they are based here
    They are great!

I would vote for a properly sized exhaust fan. A potentially dusty arena does not need a breeze blowing down on it and a vent fan will still give a slight breeze if you are vented, just in the opposite direction and more smoothly.

Large ceiling fans can push or pull air, depending on their setting.

Big Ass Fans, up to 24' diameter. Read specs carefully to make sure your ceiling can support them and your wiring power them. Note the vortex spoilers on the blades, like on the wingtips of some jets.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

The big ass fans look pretty sweet - I'll have to check the specs and see if they'll work. It sounds like the solution might need to be a combination of things - the exhaust fans to pull the heat out, and ceiling fans to create some air movement.

Part of the problem is trying to balance the dust with the need for air movement. I was at a barn one time that had a misting system for their indoor - that might be something to look into as well.

One of the neatest ring watering systems I've seen was home made. Rainbird sprinkler heads mounted upside down in the ceiling, fed from a barrel with a pump and low water cutoff switch. You filled the barrel with as much water as you wanted on the ring and started it up. When the barrel ran dry, the low water switch shut down the pump. Start it, forget it. No soggy rings, no burned up pumps.
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    One of the neatest ring watering systems I've seen was home made. Rainbird sprinkler heads mounted upside down in the ceiling, fed from a barrel with a pump and low water cutoff switch. You filled the barrel with as much water as you wanted on the ring and started it up. When the barrel ran dry, the low water switch shut down the pump. Start it, forget it. No soggy rings, no burned up pumps.
    How SMART! And I'm sure much more cost effective!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    That is brilliant! I was just looking into watering systems, but I don't want to have to leave the hose hooked up the whole time. I'm assuming I can get a pump like that through Farm Tek, and the sprinklers as well? Does anyone know how I ensure the pump has enough output pressure to feed the sprinklers?