The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

The eastern edge of the eventing wasteland

Default Adequan - Side effects/reactions to?

Hello again COTH... Once again reaching out so thank you in advance!

I have a client who is reluctant to give her horse Adequan because she is worried about possible side effects or reactions to it. Said horse is a 16 year old 16.2 paint WB. He has no health issue aside from obvious arthritis in the hocks, which have been injected in the past. I am sure with his history there is more going on and he is getting looked at in the next week by the vet.
    She has finally agreed to consult her vet about this issue. I am doing my own research as I have never heard of any and I know of many horses who are on it.
    If you have any personal experience please post or PM me. I would prefer to avoid " "My cousins brother-in-law uncles friend once had a horse...." kind of knowledge
    "You're horse is behind the vertical!"
    "Of course he's behind the vertical, I haven't jumped it yet!"
    - NLK
    "I am a sand dancer... just here for the jumps!" - Schrammo
    www.nshaonline.org

I had my dressage horse on Adequan beginning when I got him @ age 15; he is still on it now, at 21. He is fine and has not had any issues. Was doing Prix St Georges work until a year ago; I backed him down an leased him to a 1st/2nd level rider for other reasons.
    Current mare has been on it for a year, also no side affects or any apparent issues.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I have used Adequan on two of my horses in the past, including the one I currently ride in the 3' divisions. Our vet has always prescribed it IM, although I think it is available IA as well.

I think it helps keep mildly stiff horses more comfortable and I have never had any problems with reactions or side effects. That said, there is always a (small) risk with any injection, and some horses may exhibit allergic reactions to this drug, as is the case with most medications.

If what the animal needs is really hock injections... meaning a steroid... that is another matter and although I am totally comfortable with them when warranted, the vet is probably the best person to discuss the risks and potential benefits with your client.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I have had my 23 yr old WB on it for the last 5 or so years. He jumped and did cross country when he was younger and it's just caught up to him a bit. We lightened his load a bit in conjunction with the injection and he is a very happy boy. If he doesn't get it on time you will see him become a bit more stiff until he gets it again. (This has happened a time or two as we order it online and this can come with some shipping issues.) I have never seen any reaction from the injection site or in the long run. I prefer to not use hock injections and thus keep him on a monthly cycle and keep his work lighter.

I've never seen a horse have any kind of adverse reaction to it. I've seen a handful of very minor, very miniscule injection site reactions (think minor swelling, a little heat for a few hours afterward), but that never really bothered the horses more than a bug bite or the like...

More often than any kind of reaction (at all), you find that Adequan just doesn't make much of a difference for the horse in question. It's not a magic drug- it's not going to make one that really needs its joints injected sound.
    Here today, gone tomorrow...

I quit giving Adequan after reading McIlwraith's latest findings. I think maybe you will need to increase the frequency of your dosing to get the desired effect but I just switched to Legend and joint maintenance as necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by trixie10 View Post
    I quit giving Adequan after reading McIlwraith's latest findings. I think maybe you will need to increase the frequency of your dosing to get the desired effect but I just switched to Legend and joint maintenance as necessary.
    Link please?
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I actually did have a large pony that had a reaction to an adequan injection. My vet said he has seen it 3 times in 15 years including mine....in general it is super safe.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by bugsynskeeter View Post
    Link please?
    Here's a link to an article that discusses some of his findings:
    http://terapia-equina.com/2011/04/eq...steoarthritis/

http://www.thehorse.com/Video.aspx?n...-horse&vID=411

At around 25:00 you will hear what he has to say about adeqaun (if you are too impatient to listen to the lecture).

Briefly; all studies showing a positive trend with adequan were using IA not IM.

That said, I had one horse I thought it helped but it could have been all in my head...

I have given thousands (and that is no exaggeration) of Adequan shots over the last several years, and have never had a bad reaction (other than the occasional little bump) until this past winter. One of the horses I gave the shot to developed a HUGE abscess in his neck, and he could not move his head from side to side or even put it down to the ground. My vet came and stuck the ultrasound on it, and there was so much fluid in there I couldn't believe it. He stuck a needle in the middle of it to alleviate some of the pressure, and you should have seen the crap that came out of it. It was nasty. After a few days, and some aggressive treatments with antibiotics, the horse was just fine, but I felt horrible. As I said, I've given thousands of Adequan shots, and never had a reaction like that before. I'd been giving that particular horse Adequan shots for a year, so I was convinced that it was something else, but nope, that's what it was from.

^^ You run the risk of injection site abscesses from any IM shot. Horse at my barn was just treated for the exact same thing - except it was from a shot of a sedative.

Bacteria on coat...needle goes through bacteria as it enters muscle...voila, you introduce bacteria internally and now you may get an abscess.

So you can blame it on the fact it was an IM shot...but not necessarily on the Adequan itself.

Yes, I realize that, however, my vet is always warning us that horses sometimes have bad reactions to Adequan, and I never believed him until this happened. I know that it is possible that it was not the Adequan, but in this case, it's just as possible that it was.

My guy has been on Adequan IM for a couple of years now with no bad side affects. After reading this article it would have been great to know that it's effects were most positive if administered IA. I do believe it's helped him IM because I've been able to to go longer between injections but I'm switching to Pentosan.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Ours have been on various regimens of Adequan and Pentosan IM over the years in consultation with our vets (Legend IV) and (knock wood) we've found only positive to neutral results. Anecdotally, it appears that our horses go longer between needing joints injected when they are on such a program, and we have seen lighter than expected changes on hock films despite being in heavy work. Would these horses have been otherwise doing better without Adequan/Pentosan - entirely possible. These aren't standard trials, and our horses are overall in very good programs, so hard to say, but I'm pretty comfortable that there have not at least so far been apparent negative side effects.

I have an upper-level event horse who's been on weekly and bi-weekly Adequan for a year (bi-weekly in the winter, weekly during competition season). Never had a bad reaction to it, and his hock xrays are incredible -- completely clean films on an 11-year-old eventer. Can't say if it's the Adequan or good luck, but I'll keep him on it as long as it doesn't get pulled off the market for good.