The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Feral cat question

My mother sits with my dogs during the day so they don't have to be crated while I am at work. She just texted me that a male cat came from across the road carrying something and deposited it on the doorstep. It was a decent-sized dead kitten. I'm guessing he killed it and brought it to my house as a trophy? I don't know.
    Anyway, I found 3 kittens in my hay barn yesterday that have their eyes open, but are not walking around so great yet. Do I need to worry about this cat killing them? The mother showed up a few weeks ago and I suspected she was pregnant, but couldn't catch her. I'm not sure how I could protect them while letting her still have access to them since she is not tame. Any suggestions?
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

Trap the mom and spay here. That way she won't multiply because, let me tell you, ferals are easier to prevent than to fix. You can probably feed her (spay her first) and have a decent outdoor/feral cat. The tom will likely kill the kittens if they are not his and he is new to the area. I don't know that there's alot you can do about that unless you're willing to capture and bottle feed the babies. I'd say call your local shelter if you have one, but realize they are likely far from short of kittens right now.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Thanks. My plan is to try and capture the mom and spay her. I had managed to get all of the other females spayed, then she showed up. *sigh*
    I had an idea that someone was going to say that I would have to take the babies. Oy. I've messed with them some, trying to keep them tame so I can get them fixed when the time comes, so capturing them would not be a problem at all.
    I'm already feeding about 10 feral/semi-ferals, so what's a few more at this point right? right? I don't want to be crazy cat lady.lol.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

As long as they're speutered you won't be the crazy cat lady because you're doing the right thing.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Yes, the tom will kill them. They kill other toms' offspring all the time. Sometimes they're own as cats aren't that bright. If you don't want him to do that you'll need to remove them from where he can get at them--kittens make excellent bait to trap feral mothers for spaying, too. That's how we got Jet's mom.

The kittens will make PERFECT bait to catch Momma.

I had a feral female with kittens, I saw her moving kittens and stole them. I then used them to lure her inside, dumb with no game plan, but it worked.

Good luck

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Quote Originally Posted by ladybugred View Post
    The kittens will make PERFECT bait to catch Momma.

I had a feral female with kittens, I saw her moving kittens and stole them. I then used them to lure her inside, dumb with no game plan, but it worked.

Good luck

LBR
    I caught a momma cat that way too. I put the kittens in a big cage, like one of those big cages you see at dog shows. I opened the door a bit a ran twine from the door, through the cage where the door would close to, and back to me, hidden. Put kittens in cage and as soon as they started to cry momma came to rescue them. When she went in the cage, I pulled the string, held it tight and quickly latched the door. She was terrified, so we carried the cage into a quiet room in the house, covered it with a blanket and let her settle down. She did fine, we got her spayed and the kittens got good homes.

Cats are really protective mothers and she will come to the kittens when they cry.

Spay and release is the best way to keep a feral population down. Females will go into breeding overdrive if the sense at population is decreasing.

Toms will kill. Some mother cats will abandon kittens if they can't care for. We had a mother cat leave one male cat on our porch for us to take care of. We are feeding a feral outdoor colony. She returned a month later with litter mates to the one she left in tow. The one she left we bottle fed and is doing well.

Most rescues and humane leagues will not take kittens that are not weened.