The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Cough syrup for horses? Or cough remedies?

My mare has some respiratory allergies, that usually culminate in her coughing every time we ride. Using a long nose fly mask, or a nose net, does help, but doesn't eliminate the coughing completely.

Do they make cough syrup for horses? Or what can I do to try and get rid of those pesky dry coughs she has?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Poor thing. Is she a little hoarse?

Try ZEV, brought to you by the same folks who bring you Buckleys Mixture for people. This is the livestock equivelant not that I haven't used it on myself. Mr Fussy was plagued by allergy coughing his whole short life; he got dosed with ZEV when he started coughing and twisting his nose and one dose every couple of days kept the coughing under control.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

You really should try to find out the reason for the coughing instead of just treating the symptom of coughing. There are a lot of different things that could be causing it, and it should be treated by a veterinarian.

Quote Originally Posted by cute_lil_fancy_pants_pony View Post
    You really should try to find out the reason for the coughing instead of just treating the symptom of coughing. There are a lot of different things that could be causing it, and it should be treated by a veterinarian.
    Vet says it's allergies.

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    Try ZEV, brought to you by the same folks who bring you Buckleys Mixture for people. This is the livestock equivelant not that I haven't used it on myself. Mr Fussy was plagued by allergy coughing his whole short life; he got dosed with ZEV when he started coughing and twisting his nose and one dose every couple of days kept the coughing under control.
    ZEV? Never heard of it. Where can I find it, got a link?

Try Cough Free. It helps my boy who likes to sneeze come spring and all the way through summer. No sneezing when he is on it. He sneezes in his stall, in crossties, not too much while riding, but the cough free keeps him quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    Try Cough Free. It helps my boy who likes to sneeze come spring and all the way through summer. No sneezing when he is on it. He sneezes in his stall, in crossties, not too much while riding, but the cough free keeps him quiet.
    Is it palatable? Miss diva mare is REALLY picky.

Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    ZEV? Never heard of it. Where can I find it, got a link?
    ZEV has been around for ever, don't recall there NOT being ZEV and at one time, we could buy it in the drugstores as they also carried vet preparations. Anyway try Greenhawk or Big D or just search Buckley's ZEV as all I pull up are Canadian sites and did link Greenhawk for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sk_pacer View Post
    ZEV has been around for ever, don't recall there NOT being ZEV and at one time, we could buy it in the drugstores as they also carried vet preparations. Anyway try Greenhawk or Big D or just search Buckley's ZEV as all I pull up are Canadian sites and did link Greenhawk for you.
    I'm researching it now, thanks!

I'm researching it now, thanks!
    You're welcome.

I did find that W.F. Buckley was Canadian and had runners; developed ZEV for race horses. Having read the ingredients on both bottles before the people stuff was 'improved'. they were identical at one time except for colour.

I use APF from Smartpak - it comes on a wafer or cookie. It works miracles for my mare with seasonal allergies. Her coughing starts in early March and as soon as I get her on the cookies she stops within a week - she's good all summer on it.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/apf--a...x?cm_vc=Search
    Last edited by hundredacres; May. 16, 2011 at 08:30 PM.

Is it palatable? Miss diva mare is REALLY picky.
    I think it smells god awful, but he loves the stuff. He is a very picky TB!

Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    I think it smells god awful, but he loves the stuff. He is a very picky TB!
    Good to know, I may have to try it! Do you have to feed a lot of it?

I remember using something years and years ago for horse coughs --- darned if I can't remember the name, and chances are, it isn't made anymore. But I still remember that it smelled *exactly* like vanilla pudding, and used to drive us insane with hunger!

Quote Originally Posted by Donkaloosa View Post
    I remember using something years and years ago for horse coughs --- darned if I can't remember the name, and chances are, it isn't made anymore. But I still remember that it smelled *exactly* like vanilla pudding, and used to drive us insane with hunger!
    I don't think my mare would object to getting pudding..

I always have Finish Line Air Power on hand, it is extremely strong menthol and honey and soothes and clears like nothing else. I like it so much I take it myself if my allergies or asthma kicks up from pollen or hay or dust. Our pollen was very bad recently and this really helped my heaves horse cope.

I turned my BO onto it too for her roaring/allergies mare and she has quiet workouts without coughing or roaring.

My horse loves it so much he thinks its a treat, I pour it directly in his feed pan to lap up before breakfast.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present. It steals your joy and keeps you very busy doing absolutely nothing at all... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.

According to my vet at the race track they use this remedy for coughs and it really helps. Take one bottle of human robitussin - DM, dissolve in a gallon of apple juice. Give 60 cc AM and PM on days they are worked.

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
    I always have Finish Line Air Power on hand, it is extremely strong menthol and honey and soothes and clears like nothing else. I like it so much I take it myself if my allergies or asthma kicks up from pollen or hay or dust. Our pollen was very bad recently and this really helped my heaves horse cope.

I turned my BO onto it too for her roaring/allergies mare and she has quiet workouts without coughing or roaring.

My horse loves it so much he thinks its a treat, I pour it directly in his feed pan to lap up before breakfast.
    Is it a syrup or liquid? I loooooooooove Finish Line products!

Quote Originally Posted by shawneeAcres View Post
    According to my vet at the race track they use this remedy for coughs and it really helps. Take one bottle of human robitussin - DM, dissolve in a gallon of apple juice. Give 60 cc AM and PM on days they are worked.
    Interesting! That would definitely be cost efficient!