The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default MacKinnon Ice Horse Continuous Flow Question--Any Users?

I just used my Ice Horse Continuous Flow system for the first time. Very quiet and easy to use; horse seemed to like it.

Here's the dumb question: How do you get the water out of the pads? There is nothing in the literature about it and the company's owner is on vacation.

Anyone?

Hi, Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but I am thinking of getting one of these machines, how do you think they compare to Game Ready? How easy is it to get the boots on and do they stay up? Do the legs feel nice and cold after using it?
    Appreciate any advice you can give, my horse just came down with a bad case of cellulitis and I am sick of struggling with ice boots!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I just leave the water in, but disconnect the tubing. Of course mine would be a donjoy iceman, but that would be the same thing.

dogbluehorse, when my horse had his really bad lymphangitis episode, the vet said that physically hosing in addition would be better (to help start moving lymphatic fluid). In that sense I think game ready would be better since it hasa pressure aspect to it as well, right?

The ice machine/donjoy is very useable and keeps the legs very cool, but the pads are actually human use pads (it's just a repackaged donjoy iceman used for rehab after thinks like knee surgery) so I haven't found them that user friendly to attach. But once they are on, and you get them positioned correctly, they work great. (disclaimer - I don't have the rectangular pad, I have the all purpose pad http://www.amazon.com/DonJoy-Iceman-.../dp/B001E30Q0Q )
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Did she like her treatment?

I don't know about the horse use, but I have one of the Donjoy iceman's from my foot surgery (my initial reaction was, boy this would be great for the horse, while my husband, the distant runner, wanted me to finish up with it so he could ice his knees). I never drained out the pad, at least not on purpose. When you unplugged the machine and it stopped circulating, the water flowed back into the main tube-at least when you took it off, you could see and feel that the pad was sort of squishy again. They never gave me any instructions to handle it differently. Hope this helps.
    Member-Arab Dressage Riders Clique
    RIP Barichello

I did figure out how to empty the pads. The valves at the end release water when you press them in (duh, this how they open) and then you just roll them up, press that in and squish it out. But I will get technical instructions when the owner of MacKinnon returns.

They definitely do not get the legs as cold as frozen ice boots, but I'm not sure you really want that. Their video explains how a bit higher temperature is more useful for treatment. It does have some natural compression from the water filling and continuously moving through the pad JUST LIKE GAME READY does. Personally (I have used the Game Ready before), the difference really is that Game Ready has fancier pads that go on easier and up higher and go all the way around the leg. My mare has big bone and the pads did not go all the way around the front. Of course the Game Ready people will probably have something to say about that!

That said, the newer systems have neoprene boots that the ice pads insert into and that just velcros on and covers the pastern and up to the knee. This is a big improvement over their old system of bandaging them on. It was easy to use. My horse enjoyed it. I used one when rehabbing from ankle reconstruction and appreciated it FAR more than ice. The ice burned my skin and became unbearable. You can treat far longer with this.

I have not yet tried my hock pad as my kit was missing the bandage for it. The owner is sending me the stuff upon his return.

When the owner returns, I am also getting a battery pack so I can take it to shows, which I cannot do with my ice boots. I ice after every ride and it always frustrated me that I had no good way of doing it at shows. This is going to be GREAT!

MJHCO, now that I know how it works, I can't wait to do Shade!

As for the questions on the boots--they are easy to put on and they stay up. But my horse was not moving around or kicking at it.

And DK, since I got mine for half price in Paddock Saddlery's going out of business sale, I'm happy I got the Ice Horse.... ;-) If you are able to wrap the thing around yourself with an exterior bandage and feel the water flowing through it, you will feel some compression/massaging.