The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default "I Love the Feel of the Wind Blowing Through My Mane!"

Old School trailering.

http://youtu.be/22pNA0Z2b58
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

"Hey Lightening...you ever run this fast before without using your legs?"
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

"No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

We hauled my first pony home in cattle racks on the back of my uncle's truck. With another horse. Both were 14.1 -- and lived!

I saw a trailer like that once at a trailhead here in Arizona.
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Hmmm. I think they should really have fly masks on...

we used to put out 12 hand pony into the bed of the truck and sit in there with her. Just backed up to hill and she walked right on.

we never went far.

yikes, you can hear the rocks from the road pinging against the trailer. you can only be lucky for so long and then what happens, a blinded horse? no thanks. there's a reason we have 'evolved' to better trailering options. granted in the 'old days' horses were hauled in all sorts of ways, but nowadays, traffic is more congested, speeds are faster and the attention the other drivers pay, is more distracted than ever.

Kind of like a horsey convertible, for safety's sake there ought to be a roll bar. And I think the horses would look mighty dapper if each were fitted with custom motoring goggles.

https://www.dresslikeapirate.com/sca...=kylyevupdratc

The movie "Sylvester" had the rider and her team pulling up to Rolex hauling the horse in an open trailer. I've never been sure if this was Hollywood ignorance or if it was supposed to be part of the main characters' stockyard background.

I have to respond here. Among trail riders, hauling horses in the backs of pickups with a stock rack was standard practice until about 15-20 years ago. That was why one would see stock loading areas/ramps at trail heads. I've never heard of a horse losing an eye but I wouldn't doubt it. However, one day I was at a trail head and here comes this little old guy on a mule; he untacked and before loading the mule into the back of his truck, he put a pair of goggles on him. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen, this little mule with goggles, but did show he cared for his mule. Down the road they went with mule happily riding along in the back.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Have seen that sort of thing out here...the true meaning of a chariot race horse...

I was just telling somebody the other day that when we got my first horse when I was a kid, we had to borrow a trailer that looked a lot like that. She didn't believe me.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Default BTDT

First horse was hauled in the back of my dad's pickup truck with me holding the rope. We actually hauled her a couple of times this way before we got a trailer. Never very far and she was indeed a saintly trusting soul.

I've also hauled a miniature horse in a honda civic as well as a volkswagon hatchback. I've also hauled a 2 horse bumper pull with a 1968 mustang. (It worked by a miracle). Growing up we had a 3 horse stock trailer we hauled in until I won my 2 horse with living quarters which I did pull with a Jeep Cherokee. Looking back I was an idiot for it but I was also a poor college kid and never hauled farther than a couple of hours and never over any hills or mountains.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

When we first moved to CA there was a trainer in this area who used to haul his show and school horses to shows in big stake bed open trucks. They were head to tail going across the width of the bed & he could fit about 10 per truck - he had two trucks. They often broke down & it wasn't unusual to pass them parked on the shoulder of the freeway with the hood of one of the trucks up while someone worked under the hood on our way to the same show.

We used to load the ranch horses into a pick up with stake sides to haul them for pack trips. We would lead them up to the back, lock arms behind their rumps and cluck so they would jump up into the truck. On occassion, one would keep going up over the cab and down the hood to the ground on the other side. We would load them in 4 across, heads over the cab. When we would get to the trail head, we would back up to the bank or the road cut and they would back off. The horses thought it was the normal way to travel. I figured that if they didn't like it, they wouldn't cheerfully jump into the truck.