The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone Ever Toilet Trained Their Cat?

Pros? Cons? Experiences? Thanks!
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Pros? Cons? Experiences? Thanks!
    Never trained him, but we have one who figured it out for himself. And he HATED being found out.

I'd love to know how to teach them, though...and to teach them how to flush would be the icing on the cake, so to speak.

I did, they sell a kit for it, is easy.

No, you don't want to teach a cat to flush, they then spend all day long flushing to see the water whirl around, that is great kitty TV.

Here is my now departed cat:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...g?t=1305497952

This is one kind of kit, there are several out there:

http://www.litterkwitter.com/en/index.php

We had a brother and sister Siamese. Brother got it in a couple of days, sister couldn't work out which way round to sit on the seat. You can only take that for a while before you give up and put a litter box back in the bathroom...

Brother for the rest of his life preferred to pee in porcelain. Unfortunately he was indiscriminate about whether it was toilet or sink--which is relatively unacceptable when you go to clean your teeth...

So, not an unqualified success in our household, though I'd try again with another kitten.

Thanks everyone... ATR, I am concerned about peeing in the sink! The sister is a genius but her brother... Not so much. Cute, tho.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Years ago I trained my Siamese cat to do this. There were no kits available, so I got a round dish pan and put some litter in it. I placed this under the toilet seat in the spare bathroom. I gradually decreased the amount of litter and then dispensed with the pan altogether. He never developed a habit of peeing in the sink or tub.

I had a cat many years ago who potty trained himself. He was found in a field by a farmer and given to us, we put some sand into a tin tray and the kitten went in and used it without anyone saying a thing to him...

He then progressed to using the bath, he'd sit over the plug hole and wee away quite happily, then try to 'cover' it. On one occasion he poo-ed in the bath and managed to pull a towel over it - not sure how he managed to get a hold of the towel!

He did go on the toilet a couple of times, but he seemed to prefer to use the bath...
    Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? - The horse. (R.Duncan)

I think it must be easier when you only have one or two cats. When you have a dadgum herd of cats like I do, I met with very limited success. And I took it very slowly. I never even removed the majority of the rings.

I only had one or two of the younger cats that would pee on the kit thingy. Never did poo on it. I finally gave up.