The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horses that look like mules?

Okay, possibly a stupid question, but do some horses kind of resemble mules? I mean, in more than the obvious "Well, they are almost the same animal, duh" way. I see this carriage horse all the time in Philadelphia that makes me think "mule" before I look closer and see, okay, horse. The ears aren't long, the mane isn't sparse, etc., it's just something about his general appearance.

it is perhaps a hinny?

while the mule gets the front and back from the the jack and the middle from the mare this is reversed in hinny's conformations..and makes a person really have to look hard at the animal to tell

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Once knew a wonderful standardbred who looked like a mule. Almost every new person walking into the barn would say a MULE!
    He had long ears, too.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

We have a lesson horse that is "mule colored", with a lot of white around his muzzle. His ears are totally normal sized, though, he's just unusual. Full thoroughbred, so definitely not crossed with a donkey in any way.

Had an Arab that resembled a cow, so I'm sure it's possible.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Have a DWB x who honestly resembled a mule throughout his younger years - long ears, long face, so yup!
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Yes, it can be hard to tell sometimes. I have a little pony mule who looks very horsey--in fact the only way you can tell that he's a mule is his ears are slightly long, he has mule feet, and he has the most adorable whinny bray hybrid. He may be a hinney like Tamara suggests, he's pretty much feral and his history is unknown and honestly I don't know enough about mules/hinneys to say.

I also have a pretty muley looking horse. Especially when he's out of work (he's mostly retired now), he gets a really flat topline and his head is very mule looking. He has big ears too, but he's definitely a Thoroughbred.

My mule has been mistaken for a pony, and my horse for a mule, even by knowledgeable horsepeople.
    Last edited by CosMonster; May. 15, 2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: clarification

Oh gosh, I wish I had a picture of her. About 5 years ago my trainer got in a Mini who I swear looked like a mule until you got up real close to her (and even then you kind of wondered)

She wasn't a mule. She was a DNA-typed Rhoten's Little Dandy daughter (or granddaughter- something like that) and those are generally not known for having the prettiest head, but holy hell, this thing was GHASTLY. She LOOKED LIKE A MULE. I did not believe she was a horse.

She was a pretty good mover, as I recall... but she looked like a mule.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

One of my OTTBs is constantly referred to as "The Mule" in the barn. In a loving sort of way.....
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

Quote Originally Posted by littleum View Post
    y not known for having the prettiest head, but holy hell, this thing was GHASTLY. She LOOKED LIKE A MULE.

She was a pretty good mover, as I recall... but she looked like a mule.
    Hey now, hey now! I think my mule has a very pretty head, certainly not ghastly!
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...f&id=784270214
    (Public link, everyone can see it.)

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Hey now, hey now! I think my mule has a very pretty head, certainly not ghastly!

AAAAAWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

Saw one of the horses at the Knight's Joust at the Renaissance Festival this weekend here in Georgia that looked like a mule. Many TWH resemble mules (in this area,) but I think this horse was a draft/Standardbred cross.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

friends got a 3 year old at kill auction that everybody thought was a mule. Even was a light bay with that light coloring around the muzzle, big long face, HUGE ears, big soft eyes, ewe neck, sway backed pot belly with some wire scraggles for a mane and tail. Well he grew into his ears and somehow, with as terribly conformed as he is, has THE most incredible movement! Has the suspension and extension to rival any high dollar warmblood I kid you not. I wanted him for a dressage horse SO bad but he's a loveable ham and they didn't want to sell him, so he's wasting away as a livery horse :-(
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

Quote Originally Posted by GoForAGallop View Post
    Your mule has a prettier head than this mare did!!!
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings