The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The English Habit...

Anyone ever purchase from this company?
    I was searching online for a full sheepskin pad for the show ring and found one for a great price at The English Habit.
    Being from Canada, shipping was a bit pricey but worth it because the price was great and the website stated a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
    I received the pad which was very nice but humongous..entirely too large for my 17.5 CWD.
    So I contacted customer service asking to return this pad for a smaller size...to speed the process up I was going to purchase the smaller size and just get the refund on the returned pad once the company received it.
    No problem.
    I specifically asked if I would get the same price as I paid initially and the answer was yes.
    I went to the site to pay for the pad and it was marked as $50 more than I paid for initially.
    Hmm..so I emailed them again asking them to invoice me separately so I would get the original price and low and behold, I am told that with my original purchase "I must have pushed a lucky button and noone caught the error".
    Really? A lucky button?
    So I have to pay $25 to return the pad (no problem) another $25 to get the proper size (no problem) but an additional $50 on top of that due a pricing error that was no fault of my own?
    Do they expect customers to 'check' and see if a price is correct before ordering from them?
    I am sorry about this long post but I've worked in customer service for 30 years and I'm astounded that this company expects me to pay an additional amount that is more than the original price of the product for a direct exchange!
    Grrrr...maybe I'm being unreasonable?? I calmly emailed them back stating my position and I rarely get worked up about something as mundane as an internet order but this has me riled up.
    They also said I could sell it to recoup my costs but I really don't have time for that and had I known this situation was even a remote possibility I would NEVER have ordered from them in the first place.
    Any suggestions??
    Thanks )

I think you should just return the pad for a refund to your credit card, and not even bother hoping to get a smaller size for the "lucky" price - I wouldn't want to continue to deal with them. I do think that since it was their fault for quoting you the incorrect price that they should just suck it up and absorb the extra cost though, but they seem unwilling to do so.

Thanks BAC I think I'll send the pad back and be done with them

In the time it took you to send them a nastygram email and write this post, you could've put it up on ebay for more than you paid for it + shipping, set it to end in 3 days and have a buy out price. It'll cost you what, 2 dollars in the end? And you have to do the same amount of work but not give that company any sort of money or product back.

Saddle pad up on ebay + buyout = sold and shipped in a box = money in your pocket with minimal time to find a box to fit it in and time to go to the UPS or USPS store.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I agree with BAC, just return it and be done with them. Upcharging a customer in the situation you describe is ridiculous. I think the comment about a "lucky button" is somewhat hilarious, but not in a good way.

And although I love Ebay and buy/sell there a lot... it generally costs a lot more than $2 to do so, when you consider not only the listing cost but the time/hassle factor, having to box up and ship the item, pay the paypal fees, etc.

As an example of alternative customer service, I once bought a fairly pricey piece of Baker luggage from Beval. The store is local to me so rather than order online, pay shipping and wait for the item I decided to go pick it up.... I am all about the instant gratification. Anyway, the website had it listed at one price, and the tag on the (same) item in the store was marked maybe $50 higher... I mentioned it to the sales person at the counter and they quickly brought up the website and offered me the lower price. I am sure the webmaster then got a quick request to update the online price but they were smart enough not to lose a sale or anger a customer over something like that. Much smarter approach.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by horsegal301 View Post
    In the time it took you to send them a nastygram email and write this post, you could've put it up on ebay for more than you paid for it + shipping, set it to end in 3 days and have a buy out price. It'll cost you what, 2 dollars in the end? And you have to do the same amount of work but not give that company any sort of money or product back.

Saddle pad up on ebay + buyout = sold and shipped in a box = money in your pocket with minimal time to find a box to fit it in and time to go to the UPS or USPS store.
    Nastygram email? Sounds like the 'lucky' button comment
    There was absolutely nothing nasty about any correspondence with this company, either from them or from me. Interesting insinuation though

I'm fully aware of eBay as well, I buy and sell on there all of the time. Canada Post is expensive and to ship a bulky pad like this might be more costly than most eBayers would prefer.
    My issue is with the unfair exchange upcharge and the customer service (or lack thereof) side of things.

Thanks Lucassb..I found the 'lucky button' comment quite humorous as well and while I was pretty fired up when I posted initially, it's really not a big deal. I just won't ever deal with them again nor recommend them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    I agree with BAC, just return it and be done with them. Upcharging a customer in the situation you describe is ridiculous. I think the comment about a "lucky button" is somewhat hilarious, but not in a good way.

And although I love Ebay and buy/sell there a lot... it generally costs a lot more than $2 to do so, when you consider not only the listing cost but the time/hassle factor, having to box up and ship the item, pay the paypal fees, etc.

As an example of alternative customer service, I once bought a fairly pricey piece of Baker luggage from Beval. The store is local to me so rather than order online, pay shipping and wait for the item I decided to go pick it up.... I am all about the instant gratification. Anyway, the website had it listed at one price, and the tag on the (same) item in the store was marked maybe $50 higher... I mentioned it to the sales person at the counter and they quickly brought up the website and offered me the lower price. I am sure the webmaster then got a quick request to update the online price but they were smart enough not to lose a sale or anger a customer over something like that. Much smarter approach.
    Exactly, a great example of a company fixing their issue but not 'punishing' the consumer. I'm all about wanting instant gratification too...it can be a dangerous thing
    Thanks