The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Glasses and rain....options.

I wear progressive bifocals, can't wear contacts Last year I was lucky enough to have beautiful sunny days for every horse show so I didn't realize what a problem it is to ride in rain and wear glasses. Like trying to drive in a down pour with no windshield wipers.
    Last weekend, first horse show and it was raining. Warming up I tried to just look through the rain covered glasses, didn't work. So I gave my trainer my glasses and had an "ok" warm up. I compete in the 1m jr/am jumpers, so I go in the ring, big grass grand prix ring and canter up to my first fence. I missed really really bad and asked for a distance that was way to long, especially with the rain and wet grass. My totally honest horse stopped and I landed on the ground completly humiliated. We scratched for the rest of the classes and went home cold and wet.
    So, my question is what can I do? I NEED to wear my glasses so I can see my distances.....anyone else have this problem?

i don't wear glasses but oh man. that sounds like a terrible problem. What if you tried one of those really big ugly sun visors on your helmet? Maybe it would shield your glasses from the rain?

The Impervius Charm?

A sun visor? Kidding right? I think that would be super distracting too. I've never seen anyone riding with one.

DH uses Rain-X - not a super solution but it seems to helps because the water will bead instead of streak. But then again, he's not peeling around a course going Mach4(he trail rides).

I was thinking rain-x as well, although you might need to talk to your opthomologist (optomotirst....whatever!) first, just in case.

Here is a link to the site. Rain-x
    www.englishivyfarms.com
    Hunters, Jumpers, & Welsh Ponies
    All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown

I'm not sure why you think you can't wear contacts, but they've come a long way:
    http://www.airoptix.com/contact-lens...ocal%2BGlasses

might be worth talking to a different optometrist about your options. Or, it might be worth trying a contact lens (for distance only, not bi-focal), just for the ring.

Otherwise, if you don't like the sun visor idea, you can check out this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpXC7iXuAfA

Oouch! Tricky problem. I wear glasses, but always wear contacts when I'm out competing.
    I do wear glasses when riding at home though - generally because I use Daily Disposables and can't be bothered putting them in every single day. I really hate when it rains and visibility in glasses gets bad though.

To be honest I think the only solution for you would be to give them a good wipe literally just before you go into the ring and hope that they don't get too wet too fast. They shouldn't get too bad for the sake of the time that you are doing a jumping round - although I would hate to be trying to go cross country in rain wearing glasses.

You can wear contacts..I to have progressive lens and do have contact options.

BUT you will loose something and its easy to give up the close reading portion. My eye Dr. then told me what strength over the counter reading glasses (cheap folding one) to keep in my pocket for reading courses and prize lists.

Its not my fav for anything other than riding but it works. You will have to ride in them for a while to get used to them as well. Its not a put in and go jump thing.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I was going to suggest a visor, too... and yes, they make them for riding helmets. Here is an example: http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/HLMTACC/CHSV.htm

That said, I have tried to ride in my glasses and it just doesn't work for me... even if it's not raining, they try to slip off my face, especially when it's hot out and I am sweating a bit.

I have bifocal contacts, FWIW. As I think someone else noted above, they are not fabulous for reading but for anything else, they are super.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I feel your pain. I'm quite blind and my eyes don't tolerate contact lenses any more.

I was out schooling xc in a pretty heavy rain a few weeks ago and ended up taking my glasses off rather than trying to see through the drops.

We jumped quite a few fences that day and what I found was I had to ride the canter not the jump and remember that my horse is jumping, not me, and he could see the fences. It's not ideal but it did keep me from trying to pick at my distances.

I think that you would be able to find a pair of contact lenses that would work for you for limited applications (such as competing in the rain), provided you are willing to give up the finesse of seeing close distances as well as far. If you don't want to go that route, I suggest practicing because it is very different from riding with full vision but it is possible.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

How blind are you? Because I feel like it might not have been your vision that caused the miss to the jump. You'd have to be pretty blind to have it cause issues with seeing a 3ft approaching oxer.

I were contacts now, but when I wore glasses I took them off for my round. The key is to warm-up without them too. You probably were totally thrown off by the rain and mud plus not having glasses and that's what caused your miss. I think you try jumping without them in more normal conditions you'd find its not really a problem

LOL!!! that mini wipper video was hysterical!!!! I do have a call in to my Optomistrist, I think the reason she didn't recomment contacts was because I also have asigmatism. Anyway I am going to look into it further! Thanks for all the feedback

My vision isn't good at all without the glasses, plus the rain. I am going to try lessons without my glasses and see how it goes.
    Last edited by iccir; May. 17, 2011 at 10:42 AM. Reason: adding information

I have an astigmatism and have contacts that correct for that- but they are more expensive than normal contacts. I used to ride in glasses and it is nearly impossible to show in glasses in the rain. I have very poor eye sight and couldn't navigate a course without my glasses because I have almost no depth perception without glasses or contacts, so I can commiserate with OP.

Good luck finding contacts that work! I am sure there will be something even if they are not good for anything else you do.

Quote Originally Posted by iccir View Post
    A sun visor? Kidding right? I think that would be super distracting too. I've never seen anyone riding with one.
    Actually, they are quite popular these days. Many pros who are out riding for hours and hours in the sun are using them.

And you can wear contacts. Many people who use bifocals, continuous or not, wear contacts. Plus, it's not like you need your reading vision when you're out on course.
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by iccir View Post
    LOL!!! that mini wipper video was hysterical!!!! I do have a call in to my Optomistrist, I think the reason she didn't recomment contacts was because I also have asigmatism. Anyway I am going to look into it further! Thanks for all the feedback

My vision isn't good at all without the glasses, plus the rain. I am going to try lessons without my glasses and see how it goes.
    Contacts have come a long way - you may find you *can* wear contacts if you need/want to. I have astigmatism as well (and vision too poor otherwise to ride without correction... so it was contacts or glasses for me, no option to go without.)
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Distance contacts and reading glasses for horse show days.
    friend of bar.ka

I have an astigmatism too... the contacts are weighted so they are supposed to stay put... but I always seem to have issues with them doing weird stuff on course, so now I show in my glasses. I have had to look over the top of wet glasses or aim for the middle of the fuzzy thing and keep the canter rhythm on occassion. Of course, I'm in California... we rarely have to show in the rain.

Nikilus Tikilus Guest

I share your pain! Horrible vision both near and far, plus astigmatism. However, I recently found a solution...Duette contacts. They're gas permeable in the center (which provides better visual correction vs soft lenses, and accommodates astigmatism), surrounded by a soft outer ring that is more comfortable than gas permeable, especially in a dusty barn environment.

The prescription for my right lens gives me near-perfect distance vision, the prescription for my left eye is dialed back a bit so that it corrects for up-close vision. (Folks who opt for lasix often do the same - one eye for vision, one for close-up.)I thought it would be really weird to have unequal visual acuity, and figured there would be a big adjustment period. NOT AT ALL. My vision is great for desk work, driving, playing, etc. Compared to adjusting to my first pair of progressive bifocals, this was a total non-event.

Sorry if I sound like an infomercial, but it's been more than twenty years since I could ride without glasses slipping down my sweaty nose, ski without cramming glasses under my goggles, or wear non-perscription sunglasses. My only complaint is that I can't seem to kick the habit of reaching up to adjust my glasses that are no longer there!

Hope this was helpful....good luck finding your solution!

This was an issue for me last year, so I started riding at home with out the glasses. I had to retrain my eye to see the distance, but after a while I got the hang of it.
    There's coffee in that nebula.