The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Jade View Post
    Did anyone go to the meeting/information session?

Anyone know what barns/trainers have been affected? I believe an initial rumor I heard was that it started with a western horse.
    My trainer talked to a trainer who went. Maybe that's as good as we're going to get. The trainer that went said it was mostly common sense, be careful, and don't panic and they went over the biosecurity protocols. So, much like the two meetings I attended four years ago and still have the notes from. Guess it's time to drag out the folder.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I pulled this off of a FB post today…

Vessels Stallion Farm, LLC
    RIVERSIDE COUNTY INCIDENT

January 24, 2012: A gelding displaying hind limb incoordination and urine dribbling from a Riverside County premises was confirmed positive for the neuropathogenic strain of Equine Herpes Virus-1 (NEHV-1). The gelding became recumbent and was euthanized. The premises is under quarantine and CDFA has initiated an epidemiologic investigation. At this time we are not aware of any links to the Orange County incident. Additional information will be posted as it becomes available.

ORANGE COUNTY INCIDENT:

January 24, 2012: Four new cases of neuropathogenic Equine Herpes Virus-1 (NEHV-1) have been confirmed on the Orange County quarantined premises. A total of 15 horses have been positive on the Orange County premises. Only one of the 15 horses has shown neurologic signs.

Vessels Stallion farm is in Bonsall, so SD not Riverside. Maybe they were just passing the info along? Or the CDFA could be geographically challenged.

http://www.vesselsstallionfarm.com/history.html (warning - very busy website)
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Jade View Post
    Did anyone go to the meeting/information session?

Anyone know what barns/trainers have been affected? I believe an initial rumor I heard was that it started with a western horse.
    I didn't attend the meeting as I got stuck in the office. But according to friends who went it was mainly focused on bio-security in preventing the spread of the virus and all of that. We were hoping to get info on which horses specifically are sick since the guy who was doing our blanketing works at Rancho as well as our barn. And we were worrying about that.

The initial confirmed horse and the one displaying neuro signs is an english horse. He is doing better last I heard. As for which barns are affected, from the horses I've been told are confirmed it is a variety of barns are RSV but most are all stalled in the same general area. With all of this I just keep thanking my lucky stars I moved my horses! But at the same time I keep praying for all my friend over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Vessels Stallion farm is in Bonsall, so SD not Riverside. Maybe they were just passing the info along? Or the CDFA could be geographically challenged.

http://www.vesselsstallionfarm.com/history.html (warning - very busy website)
    I agree it does look like they just are reposting the info from the CDFA site.

Default Riverside Case = Polo Pony in Indio

http://www.poloblogs.com/tournaments...ic-strain.html

INDIO HORSE TESTS POSITIVE FOR EHV-1, NEUROPATHIC STRAIN
    January 24, 2012 By Dr. Mike Manno, DVM Leave a Comment
    The polo horse that exhibited neurologic signs over the weekend and was euthanized Monday night has tested positive for EHV-1 at the U.C. Davis Lab. While other confirming tests at different labs are still pending, this single positive test warrants immediate action by the California Animal Health officials.
    With help from the staff at Empire Polo Club, we have instituted a complete quarantine of all horses stabled near the Forum field. Entrance through and exit from the gate near the Empire arena will be monitored and restricted to only essential personnel tending to those horses. The track next to the Forum field will be available only to the horses in the quarantined area. No other horses or people will be allowed in and out. State veterinarians from Sacramento and the Ontario branch of the California Animal Health and Food Safety division will meet with us Tuesday morning to assess the scope and duration of the quarantine process. At this time, the greater effect on the polo season or HITS horseshow cannot be determined. This will be decided by and is completely under the authority of State officials. This will also be determined by further testing results and/or the presence of additional infected horses, should any appear.
    We are asking all other horse owners to remain in their respective areas as much as possible. We will continue to update as needed and as new information becomes available. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
    Michael Manno DVM, MS
    The Evil Chem Prof

Default Del Mar Horsepark-no in/out and Thermal Meeting

Thermal Meeting:
    JANUARY 25, 2012

Thermal HITS - Good Horsemanship Precautions, EHV-I

A noon informational meeting today at HITS Thermal laid out precautionary information relating to the recent west coast EHV-I outbreak. In the spirit of horse safety and care, Tom Struzzieri and his staff called a noon get together for trainers and California State Vets to exchange information.

Four California State Vets are in town to investigate a positive horse at Empire Polo Club (17 miles from the HITS grounds) that was euthanized on Monday. They emphasized that the exposure potential for horses on the HITS Show grounds was extremely „low risk‰. The polo club has been quarantined and locked down for 21days of monitoring and cautionary actions.

HITS staff has instituted precautionary actions.

*No daily ship-ins allowed effective immediately.
    *Upon arrival of horses to the show grounds, full disclosure for each horse as to where it comes from, where it has been and what contact with other horses it has had.
    *Keep control of contact among horses.
    *Procedures laid out for horse owners to take the temperature of each horse twice a day. An unexplained fever of 102 or higher should be reported to Dr. Peters, Hagyard Vet Clinic on grounds, for evaluation.
    *In a precautionary measure, horses in question will be relocated to one of several isolation stalls currently being erected on the grounds for further evaluation.

The California State Vets emphasis that the risk of exposure is extremely low for HITS competitors and stated that normal precautionary measure should be continued. They reiterated there is no reason to panic and over react.

When directly asked, „Is the HITS show a safe place to bring horses to compete for the Circuit?‰ ALL four of the vets quickly and emphatically answered, „YES, the risk is low and being monitored by all of us and the State. Information will be quickly relayed to horseman. Keep checking the California Department of Food and Agriculture web site for updates.‰

For more information go to www.cdfa.ca.gov , click on the EHV-I on the top right. The state vets will keep the updates current.

HITS will keep you informed of any new information.

Del Mar Horsepark (via the SD CDS chapter):
    Due to the EHV-1 outbreak, Del Mar Horsepark is abiding by the recommended 21-day shutdown, which means horses will not be allowed to enter the facility for 21 days, and horses that leave the facility will not be allowed to return. As a result, our February show must be cancelled. At this point, we expect to hold our June show. We have several viable options that we are exploring and will make a formal announcement once we have something finalized. Those who have already paid for the February Show will receive refunds. Questions? Contact Show Manager Lisa Blaufuss.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Default OC/Indio (Riverside County)

1/25/2012 Update. One new case in OC (same barn as rest). No new cases in Indio. http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/animal_...pes_virus.html
    The Evil Chem Prof

The polo people are taking this seriously. Quarantine zones at the polo club with separate exercise areas for each and no movement between zones. Quarantine of several block area. No games or practices until 21 days after the last case. There's an update every day. I think the one from yesterday talked about the zones. Here's a link today'sL
    http://empirepolo.com/2012/01/daily-...nuary-27-2012/
    The Evil Chem Prof

Thanks for the continued updates Peggy !
    "The Desire to Win is worthless without the Desire to Prepare"

It's a "KILT". If I wore something underneath, it would be a "SKIRT".

Quote Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
    Thanks for the continued updates Peggy !
    You're welcome.

At this point I've decided that the best source of information on the Indio "outbreak" is the Polo Club page which seems to get updated daily: http://empirepolo.com/

This is in addition to the official state site:
    http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/animal_...pes_virus.html

Let's hope this thing stops soon.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Thumbs up Empire Polo Club Quarantine Over

Good news from the Polo Club. Again, I continue to be impressed with the forthright way these folks handled this.
    http://empirepolo.com/2012/02/final-...ntine-is-over/
    The Evil Chem Prof

EHV-1 (non-neuro strain, but with neuro symptoms) in horse that was at Thermal: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=345769

CDFA page - new case in SD and in Monterey county (also non-neuro strain but with neuro symptoms): http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/animal_...pes_virus.html
    The Evil Chem Prof

The Evil Chem Prof

peter weber stable in rolling hills estates is under quarantine for a week because of evh-1

I just heard this yesterday from my vet as well, that PWEC is in lockdown due to a low risk case of EHV-1. The horse went to a clinic and is recovering well. They don't know how the horse became infected.

Washington State has 4 confirmed cases:

http://www.facebook.com/notes/pilchu...50788895532931

Another sick horse at PWEC, sent the sample off today. Four stalls down from the original sick horse.

From the CDFA website: http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/animal_...pes_virus.html

The LA County horse (non-neuro strain of EHV with neuro symptoms) was euthanized due to laminitis.

Meanwhile a horse in Santa Barbara county presented with acute neuro symptoms, was euthanized the next day, and necropsy results have confirmed EHM.

Back to PWEC - did we ever establish that the LA county horse was the PWEC horse, despite the gender inconsistency? Also, according to the local ETI FB page, the state had lifted the quarantine at PWEC, but the county was considering continuing it. A decision was to be reached today.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Information on the PW Equestrian Center horse and some good advice, both equestrian and other, from Ruth Sobek, one of the area vets:

From Dr. Sobeck's FB page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ruth-...M/263586575620), posted yesterday:

Apparently there is still a lot of confusion and mis-information out there about the recent cases of Equine Herpes Virus-1 cases at the Peter Weber Equestrian Center in Rolling Hiss Estates, CA.

A horse had tested positive for the non-neuropathogenic strain of Equine Herpes Virus 1 (EHV-1) that was stabled at the Peter Weber Equestrian Center. No nearby horses were known to be sick at the time. It is unclear if he was infected from another horse or if his illness was due to a recrudescence of a latent infection, as is know to happen with Herpes viruses. (It is thought that all adult horses are initially infected with EHV-1 by the time they are 2 year olds.) He began to show neurologic symptoms on the evening of Friday, March 23, and laboratory results received Wednesday, March 29, confirmed the infection. The horse was recovering in isolation at an equine hospital but subsequently developed laminitis, possibly from the medication, and has been euthanized. This older gelding did not attend any horse shows and had moved to the stable from a private back yard about a month prior to his becoming ill.

A second horse at the equestrian center developed the more typical flu-like symptoms on Monday, March 26. Initially he tested negative for all infectious agents included in the UC Davis equine respiratory PCR panel, but was found to be actively shedding low numbers of virus from his nasal mucosa 7 days later, when he was fully recovered. The California State Veterinarian's office was not, and is not, concerned about this case.

Two other horses became ill at the stable around April 1-2, each of whom have tested negative on two separate tests four days apart. Each still has problems relative to their case presentations, which appear unrelated to EHV-1.

It is important to understand that the strain of EHV-1 found in two horses at this stable were NOT the "neuropathogenic" strain which caused the high numbers of neurologic disease such as was seen in Orange County this year in January. The quarantine has been lifted from the stable, yet owners should continue to be diligent and use good sense in avoiding unnecessary contact with potentially infected horses, no matter the disease.

Please, do not forget, that Equine Herpes Virus (also known as "Rhino") is *still* a Herpes virus, and will act like a Herpes virus, where the virus can lay dormant in the body for years and find an inconvenient time to pop up and show signs of disease. They do NOT have to "catch" it from some other horse, as adults.

Finally, I would like to commend Gil & Doreen Houle, and their excellent support staff, for their untiring efforts in containing the disease and avoiding potential spread. They have been a "stable" force in an atmosphere of fear and hostility surrounding this unfortunate time.
    The Evil Chem Prof

http://www.kentuckyhorse.org/attachm..._KY_update.pdf

2012 – EQUINE ILLNESS - TN’s BUCKSNORT TRAIL RIDE Kentucky’s Response and Position - Updated May 10, 2012

Questions or Comments to Rusty1.Ford@ky.gov

Late yesterday afternoon the TN Department of Agriculture alerted Kentucky’s Agriculture Commissioner, James Comer and staff in the KY State Veterinarians Office of an illness affecting horses that had participated in the Bucksnort Trail Ride held in Tennessee late last month (April). Information provided by Tennessee officials describe horses as presenting with varying symptoms that include neurological abnormalities. The information released yesterday also provided that the illness has resulted in four equine deaths with four additional horses demonstrating similar symptoms. Earlier today we learned that preliminary diagnostic testing gives evidence that one or more of these sick horses may have contracted Equine Herpes Virus Type-1 (EHV-1).

Management at the trail ride provided to TN officials a listing of participants that included seven (7) Kentucky residents. These individuals participated with eight (8) horses originating from the Kentucky counties of Edmonson, Logan, Simpson, Todd and Warren. One of these horses is included as a fatality of the illness. Veterinarians and the owners of the remaining seven horses all report the horses returned from the trail ride in good form and remain bright, alert, responsive and healthy this morning. These seven horses are not known to have direct contact with any sick animal and will continue to be monitored closely. Diagnostic samples collected from the single ill horse residing in KY prior to its expiring have been submitted for diagnostic testing. Other horses residing on this same farm are under veterinary restriction pending a determination as to what caused the horse’s illness.

The Kentucky State Veterinarians Office is providing the following ‘preliminary’ information and our position in response to a diagnosis of EHV-1 having caused the neurological disease being described.
    Investigative information believed to be accurate includes:

1) It is reported eight (8) horses participating in a Tennessee trail ride have become affected with an illness thought to be a communicable disease with a tentative diagnosis of EHM. Horses demonstrating illness have or are residing in Tennessee, Mississippi and Kentucky.

2) Four of the cases have resulted in equine deaths.

3) Preliminary PCR testing has detected EHV-1 viral DNA in at least two of these cases. Additional and more definitive testing continues.

4) The Tennessee Department of Agriculture has provided to officials in bordering states a listing of individuals that participated in the trail ride.

Kentucky Response:

1) Investigations conducted within Kentucky identified eight Kentucky horses had participated. Results of the investigation demonstrate that at this time Kentucky’s equine population was minimally impacted.

2) Resulting from the apparent and potential spread of this illness, we encourage elevated biosecurity precautions be implemented by Kentucky facility managers and managers of shows/exhibitions/trail rides etc held in Kentucky.

3) We have been contacted by and provided guidance to trail ride managers on precautionary measures that should be implemented stressing that the goal of a biosecurity plan is to prevent the transmission of infectious agents among individuals.

4) Our additional ‘recommendation’ is that horsemen consult their veterinarians, and after evaluating their animal’s vaccination status against encephalitic causing diseases such as West Nile virus, consider if there is a need to stimulate immune response by vaccinating against EHV-

1. We acknowledge the available vaccines’ labels make no claim to prevent neurologic disease, but based on our successful experiences managing outbreaks of this disease, and in consultation with infectious disease experts and research scientist, we continue to be of the opinion the vaccine does have a meaningful level of efficacy and minimizes impact of this disease.

5) Commissioner Comer and Dr. Stout have directed Animal Health personnel to work closely with show managers and veterinarians to insure immediate notification of any suspected communicable disease is made to appropriate officials. Commissioner Comer stressed early notification allows a quick response by the Kentucky Department of Agriculture which in turn provides opportunity to minimize any potential direct and indirect negative impact to our industry might suffer.

We will continue to monitor the situation and provide updates as information becomes available.

Rusty Ford
    Equine Programs Manager
    Office of Kentucky State Veterinarian Robert Stout

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"