The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

September update: a confirmed case (and horse death) in Knoxville, TN.

Default San Juan Capistrano

Just heard of case in San Juan Capistrano at public facility. Show canceled at Oaks this weekend. Anyone have more info?
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by Bearhunter View Post
    Just heard of case in San Juan Capistrano at public facility. Show canceled at Oaks this weekend. Anyone have more info?
    Show is shown as canceled on their website (http://www.blenheimequisports.com/?page=competitors) but not on Horseshowtime tho the latter (http://www.horseshowtime.com/) doesn't indicate a lot of entries and it was updated today. IOW cancellation could be a result of the entries not EHV-1.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Show is shown as canceled on their website (http://www.blenheimequisports.com/?page=competitors) but not on Horseshowtime tho the latter (http://www.horseshowtime.com/) doesn't indicate a lot of entries and it was updated today. IOW cancellation could be a result of the entries not EHV-1.
    Heard from trainer (who used to train there I think) that Rancho Sierra Vista in San Juan Capistrano is quarantined.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Heard from trainer (who used to train there I think) that Rancho Sierra Vista in San Juan Capistrano is quarantined.
    Yes RSV is being quarantined. I'm being told the state vets have confirmed at least one positive case of the EHV-1 neuro strain. The vets are meeting with the trainers and RSV staff to talk about quarantine protocol, preventative measures, etc. We are still trying to get more information but that is what we've got so far.

Default OC update

Two horses on the same property confirmed with EHV-1. Does anyone know if additional horses on the property are symptomatic but haven't been tested/gotten results yet?

"CURRENT EHV-1 SITUATION:

ORANGE COUNTY:
    January 12, 2012: Two additional horses displaying fever and respiratory signs have been confirmed positive for the neuropathogenic strain of Equine Herpes Virus- 1, on the Orange County Premises. All horses on the premises remain under quarantine and being monitored for disease.
    January 11, 2012: A gelding displaying neurologic signs from an Orange County premises was confirmed positive for the neuropathogenic strain of Equine Herpes Virus-1. The gelding has been isolated, quarantined and is under veterinary care. The large multi-disciple facility has been quarantined with no movement of horses on or off the property. The potentially exposed horses on the premises are being monitored. A full epidemiologic investigation at the affected premises has been initiated by the CDFA Animal Health Branch."

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/animal_...pes_virus.html
    The Evil Chem Prof

I heard a pretty big number thrown out there by a trainer of horses that are suspected.

I have no idea if it is accurate though.

I did hear the original gelding is 30 years old. Again I'm not sure if that is the case.

I sure hope there aren't as many sick horses at RSV as I heard. Could very well be a wild rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by imnotclever View Post
    I heard a pretty big number thrown out there by a trainer of horses that are suspected.

I have no idea if it is accurate though.

I did hear the original gelding is 30 years old. Again I'm not sure if that is the case.

I sure hope there aren't as many sick horses at RSV as I heard. Could very well be a wild rumor.
    The number of suspected I've been hearing is pretty big as well but I'm not sure how accurate it is so I haven't wanted to put it out there.

The first confirmed gelding is not 30 years old, more like 20-22 at the oldest. Sweet horse, fingers cross he pulls through!

Several other facilites down here (including where I board) are under voluntary quarantines just to be safe.

I boarded at RSV for years but with all this I am really glad we moved out a few months ago!

Two more horses at the same facility (Rancho Sierra Vista) according to the link I posted above (post #347)
    The Evil Chem Prof

North Carolina has its first ever confirmed case as well:

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm...CategoryId=378

Does anyone know anything about Thermal? I know of a bunch of people and horses from the PNW that are supposed to leave early next week.

I was told 5 positive. Considering the number of horses there and the constant movement of horses to various places on a daily basis I would be monitoring any horse that had been in the area, just to be safe.
    Prayers for the horses and horse families involved..
    "The Desire to Win is worthless without the Desire to Prepare"

It's a "KILT". If I wore something underneath, it would be a "SKIRT".

Default OC- California

A HJ show scheduled for this coming weekend has been postponed according to an email that was sent out to OCHSA members. It is located at a barn that is practically next door to the affected barn.
    "The January 21-22 Signature SJC (formerly Orange Coast Cooler) to be held at Sycamore Trails in San Juan Capistrano, has been rescheduled to February 11-12 in the interest of the equine community. Any information on these shows can be obtained by contacting the show manager, Robin Serfass, at robinserfassATcoxDOTnet
    The Evil Chem Prof

Default Meeting in Orange County (CA) on 1/17/2012

From the OCHSA email list:

EHV 1 Update!
    *EHV 1- Horse Owner Meeting- featuring Dr. Mark Secor, Dr. Joe Manning and local veterinarians.

*Date- Jan 17, 2012 at 4:00pm.

28411 San Juan Creek Rd.
    S.J.C, CA 92675.
    Main wash rack near Tar Farms office.

*Updates on EHV-1, biosecurity measures and Q@A session.

*This meeting is for information and preventative measures to the local horse population.
    All are welcome!
    --
    Orange County Horses Show Association
    Board of Directors
    OCHSA3@gmail.com
    The Evil Chem Prof

Default OC Update - 3 more cases at same facility

January 18, 2012: Three new cases of neuropathogenic Equine Herpes Virus-1 (EHV-1) have been confirmed on the Orange County quarantined premises. There are a total of eight confirmed positive horses on the premises. At this point in time, only one of the eight cases has displayed neurologic signs. All exposed horses on the property are being monitored and enhanced biosecurity measures have been implemented. The source of the outbreak has not been identified. The initial epidemiologic investigation reveals no link to the three 2011 California neuropathogenic EHV-1 incidents.

The Evil Chem Prof

Default OC Meeting with State Veterinarian - Thursday

Dr. Fowler, Head Veterinarian of the California Department of Food and Agriculture, and the vet who is overseeing the quarantine at RSV, is flying in to Orange County. He is coming to answer questions, and relieve any concerns you might have regarding the EHV-1 virus.

Sorry about the late notice, we know, however we just found out ourselves. He will be here TOMORROW (Thursday) at 12:00 p.m. at STONE FIELD PARK, SJC (near the Mission, at the corner of Lazanja and Camino Capistrano).

Please help us get the word out to ALL horse owners!

As of today, there were three new cases of neuropathogenic Equine Herpesvirus-1 (EHV-1) have been confirmed at Rancho Sierra Vista. There are a total of 8 confirmed positive horses on the premises. At this point in time, only one of the eight cases has displayed neurologic signs. All exposed horses on the property are being monitored and enhanced biosecurity measures have been implemented. The source of the outbreak has not been identified. The initial epidemiologic investigation reveals no link to the three 2011 California neuropathogenic EHV-1 incidents.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Such a bummer. I boarded there two summers ago. Prayers that this gets resolved soon!

As of today, two additional cases in Orange County. This brings the total to 11, including one horse that had to be euthanized.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Did anyone go to the meeting/information session?

Anyone know what barns/trainers have been affected? I believe an initial rumor I heard was that it started with a western horse.

Default OC Update and now case in Riverside County

Riverside is a pretty big county that includes Thermal, Temecula, Corona, etc.

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/animal_...es_virus.html:

RIVERSIDE COUNTY INCIDENT

January 24, 2012: A gelding displaying hind limb incoordination and urine dribbling from a Riverside County premises was confirmed positive for the neuropathogenic strain of Equine Herpes Virus-1 (NEHV-1). The gelding became recumbent and was euthanized. The premises is under quarantine and CDFA has initiated an epidemiologic investigation. At this time we are not aware of any links to the Orange County incident. Additional information will be posted as it becomes available.

ORANGE COUNTY INCIDENT:

January 24, 2012: Four new cases of neuropathogenic Equine Herpes Virus-1 (NEHV-1) have been confirmed on the Orange County quarantined premises. A total of 15 horses have been positive on the Orange County premises. Only one of the 15 horses has shown neurologic signs.
    The Evil Chem Prof