The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Link to the same article:

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$Department/deptdocs.nsf/all/cpv13612

May 17, 2011
    Alberta Horse Owners;

A case of nEHV-1 with neurological symptoms has been confirmed in a Southern Alberta horse. The horse is isolated and is recovering. This news has been reported on many websites and internet blogs. This bulletin will provide some fact about the disease so that horse owners are aware of the current situation.

Equine Herpes Virus -1 is a contagious disease of horses that has been around for a long time. The classical form of the disease causes respiratory disease, abortions in mares and rarely neurological (brain and spinal cord) disease. In the past few years a new strain of the virus has emerged in North America that causes more severe disease. It is called neuropathogenic or neurotropic EHV-1. This virus poses no human health risk.

nEHV -1 can be spread between horses through the nasal secretions of infected horses as well as being transferred indirectly by people and equipment. The best practices to protect your horses from this and other infectious diseases are to:
    •Follow sound biosecurity practices that prevents infectious disease spread including: ◦Hand washing in between handling individual horses
    ◦Not sharing equipment and feeding utensils between horses,
    ◦Changing your clothes and footwear after handling sick equines
    ◦Disinfect any environment and equipment exposed to sick equines (stalls, trailers, tack)

•Monitor your horses closely for signs of infection (fever, loss of appetite, nasal discharge, lethargy, etc.)
    •Call your veterinarian if your horse is not well to determine the cause of illness.
    •Prevent exposure of your horse to sick horses.
    •Vaccinate your horses against common infectious diseases. While vaccinations don’t specifically protect horses against nEHV-1, they do prevent other diseases and make your horse more likely to remain healthy. Speak to your veterinarian about the vaccines you should use on your horses.
    People can continue to enjoy many equine activities if they apply some simple precautions for keeping their horse healthy. Horse owners are encouraged to contact their local veterinarian to discuss their concerns regarding nEHV-1 and bio-security practices.

Access the Equine Biosecurity Principles and Best Practices Guide
    Learn more about biosecurity in Alberta.
    Learn more about species specific biosecurity protocols for industry

Office of the Chief Provincial Veterinarian
    O.S. Longman Building
    6909-116 Street
    Edmonton, AB T6H 4P2
    Phone : 780-427-3448
    Fax : 780-415-0810

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here is some interesting pieces of advice from another Veterinary Hospital:

http://bveh.com/

They have suggested use Aspirin for possible infected horses since some cases have detected blood clots.

Default 2 dead ,From North Florida,probably not connected ,but needs equal respect.

\"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

This on the west side of Gainesville , in Alachua county.
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark Farm View Post
    We were due to leave Saturday to show at Bishop Mule Days in California for a week. We are joining a long list of competitors, trainers who are scratching.

I'm so sorry you are scratching. It's tough knowing you are doing the right thing, but I know it doesn't do anything to alleviate the disappointment.

Hugs to you, Demi and Odie.

I'll send you an email.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Lovin' Dressage Rider View Post
    Some commercial haulers don't know what's going on either. On phone With one yesterday trying to coordinate for a mare For an east coast buyer. He asked ME what I could tell him about the outbreak. Seems he didn't know much. Was so worried about carrying contageous horses letting them on or off rig if sick. Said some states not letting horses in. Not Sure Which state. My mare will stay put until this clears.

Like our equine economy and economy in general needed another challenge! :-( Lots of business coming to a grinding haul. Safety before business.
    US Dept of Ag should halt the horse transporters and have them bleach out their trailers. They are going to be the biggest spreader of this virus

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    I've seen a list, provided by a vet who got it from the show itself, of the Washington-based horses who attended the Odgen show. There were about 50 horses on it, from both sides of the state.

Still just 2 cases in WA, and 1 in OR (reported).

Spoke with 2 vets yesterday, locally, and both feel caution of movement is wise, and to use good hygiene practices. Neither classified this as an "outbreak".

My farrier washed hands and changed his shirt before working on my horse last night. I was careful to keep horse from touching him with his nose.

Many area barns are taking the "no travel" path for the next two weeks.

I have a call in to the very small show I planned on attending this weekend (one day) to see if they would transfer entries to a later show or refund...I'll eat the cost if I have to. I'm going to make my decision by Friday AM.

The Ogden show ended on May 8 right? Horses came home and showed symptoms?? What was the timeline? If a horse returns from the show, and is showing no symptoms by May 23, is it considered safe and unexposed to the original Typhoid Mary (or EVH Eve?) (sorry---I am joking here...)
    It was my understanding that the horse got sick at the show and when it was known it had EHV-1, everyone bolted from the show. Not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by FAW View Post
    It was my understanding that the horse got sick at the show and when it was known it had EHV-1, everyone bolted from the show. Not a good idea.
    If true, just one more example of why I always say People are Stupid and I really hate when their stupidity affects the rest of us.

WSDA still shows 3 positives and 3 pending in our state (WA) http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalH...HotTopics.aspx updated 5/19. Spoke to my vet's office today and was told that there is "potential exposure" in my county and we should keep all horses home for the next two weeks in order to contain the spread of the virus.

JenM kindly posted this to another thread, but I thought I'd re-post it here. Link to the necropsy report for the horse who was euth'd at the Ogden, Utah event. Turns out he was negative for EHV-1 and diagnosis was Wobbler syndrome....sooo....this horse is no longer thought to be the original source of the EHV-1 at Odgen but rather an asymptomatic horse who was shedding the virus. Which makes you wonder.

http://www.nchacutting.com/ag/shows/...t_20110518.pdf

Another interesting link. Inside report from an affected barn.

http://blogs.equisearch.com/horsetal...affected-barn/
    Last edited by Watermark Farm; May. 19, 2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: added second link

Story on OPB (OR public radio) at lunch today prompted me to check, and now Oregon has a second case in Umatilla County. http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/AHID/equine_herpes_virus.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by ryderjenni View Post
    My mare had this in Tx 3 months ago, she probably picked it up in the swimming pool we have. Anyhow she was treated with Steroids banamine and vitamin E. I left her at the vet hospital for 5 nights then brought her home to continue treatment. She never went down, and didn't fall in the trailer on the way to the vet. She started back to work 5 weeks after being admitted. It did take a lot out of her Muscularly but she is slowly building back. Just keep and eye on your horse, if its acting funny take its temp, then go from there. This doesn't have to be deadly especially if it is caught early and treated immediately.

Good Luck!
    My neighbor lost a mare this time last year due to neuro EHV-1. It presented like West Nile or EPM and wasn't diagnosed EHV-1 until about 48 hours later. The horse was euthanized after what can only be described as a truly horrific ordeal. I'd spent quite a bit of time on their property assisting with the downed horse prior transport, so as you can only imagine, I blew up my vet's phone asking her questions and freaking out about cross-contamination. One tip she gave is that dilute chlorox bleach (1:30) in a spray bottle is sufficient to kill the virus without damaging clothes or causing irritation to skin. None of their other horses, including the mare's new foal, ever exhibited illness or symptoms, and luckily none of mine did either. The best guess she already had the virus, and it became active post-foaling due to stress on her body. That's just a guess.

And I don't believe the Texas report of only one confirmed case this year isoltated to West Texas. An acquaintance of mine was telling me last week that their barn in Houston was quarantined in April after confirming neuro EVH-1 in a horse that had been euthanized. I'm told two other horses were symptomatic with non-neuro symptoms but are now fully recovered.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Quote Originally Posted by FAW View Post
    That actually sounds like what happened at the Bakersfield cutting, not Utah.

This afternoon I interviewed Peggy Biller, president of the Kern County Cutting Horse Association in California, who verified the basic facts that had been reported by Quarter Horse News. She said that her organization had planned a three-day cutting for this weekend. The event began on Friday as scheduled. However, a horse was euthanized on the grounds and another horse became ill. Both horses had been at the NCHA event in Utah. The body of the dead horse was transported to the state laboratory in Tulare, California. The second horse was transported to the equine hospital at the University of California at Davis.
    “People basically panicked,” Biller said. “They just wanted to get their horses out of there.” She said that there was a mixture of horses that had and had not been at the Utah event present at her event. She didn’t want to comment about how long the majority of horses had been on the grounds and already exposed to horses that had been in Utah or the sick horses themselves.
    I was reminded of the shutdown of an Australian three-day event during the Equine Influenza outbreak there. When horses started to show signs of illness, no horses were allowed to leave the showground and were forced into a lock-down quarantine for three weeks rather than allow them to return to their home farms and possibly spread disease to more horses.
    “Everybody panicked and ran,” said John Ward, vice-president of the Kern County Cutting Horse Association on the telephone today. “You’d have thought there was an earthquake. It was just like someone yelled, ‘Fire’!” Ward said that he felt very sorry for the owner of the two sick horses.
    http://blogs.equisearch.com/horsehea...-utah-disease/

California now has 13 confirmed cases, all "Utah horses".

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/animal_health/equine_herpes_virus.html

For those of you in Oregon (or even SW Washington) there will apparently be an informational meeting tonight from 6:00 to 7:00 at Oregon State University (Magruder Hall 102) and the public is invited.
    RIP Disco (6/8/2000 - 4/1/2008)

Is there any updated information on how far east this has moved?

1 members found this post helpful.

For those of us in Washington, Pilchuck Veterinary Hospital posted on their Facebook account that they will be hosting an informational discussion on May 23rd starting at 6:30. They did ask that anyone planning on attending RSVP to the large animal reception (360/568-3111). With one confirmed case in my County already, I am thinking this might be a good meeting to attend (and probably well worth the drive).
    RIP Disco (6/8/2000 - 4/1/2008)

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark Farm View Post
    JenM kindly posted this to another thread, but I thought I'd re-post it here. Link to the necropsy report for the horse who was euth'd at the Ogden, Utah event. Turns out he was negative for EHV-1 and diagnosis was Wobbler syndrome....sooo....this horse is no longer thought to be the original source of the EHV-1 at Odgen but rather an asymptomatic horse who was shedding the virus. Which makes you wonder.

http://www.nchacutting.com/ag/shows/...t_20110518.pdf

Another interesting link. Inside report from an affected barn.

http://blogs.equisearch.com/horsetal...affected-barn/
    Based on the first link I assume that patient "zero" has still not been identified. Which makes things more troublesome as we don't really know where it came from or where it went. Seems to me that having horses continue to move around and show will only muddle the picture and or exacerbate things. I notice that the trainer interviewed in the second link recommends that everyone stay home for 21-30 days.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Default Dressage horse has tested positive, it's not just the cutting world

One of our local vets just posted this on their website. It doesn't state where the horse is located though.

**Update 5/19/11 3PM** Another update: A dressage horse that attended the Cheyenne Dressage show on May 14th came down with a fever and tested positive for EHV-1. The horse had been exposed to the family's cutting horse (who attended the Ogden cutting show) prior to attending this show. The dressage horses that attended this show are now being asked to monitor their horses' temperatures in case they came in contact with the infected horse. The news is ever changing....keep checking back for more updates!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

I'm concerned because alot of the English Discipline events/shows/competitions are still scheduled and on.

Even this weekend, tomorrow, there are several around. They think it's a Cutters Problem Only
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

kewpalace's link is providing updated information daily. I had a dressage show scheduled in Sonoma County Sunday that's been cancelled because of this. My barn just went on voluntary quarantine today. I wonder what will happen with some of the big shows coming up--two day show in Vacaville, Shelly Siegel in Santa Rosa over the next few weeks.
    Last edited by Beentheredonethat; May. 19, 2011 at 09:55 PM. Reason: edit