The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default blankets for mutants?

So my pony (which is an Icelandic) is a total mutant when it comes to blanketing.

Right now I have a sheet which fits so-so, but (as bizarre as it sounds) will need to get him a mid-weight for when it's COLD and raining.

He's little - only a 64 - 66", narrow thru the chest but with BOULDER shoulders! And that huge neck that these guys tend to have.

I was thinking about trying a turtleneck 'cause of the elastic in the front. Right now everything will either cause rubs on the shoulders or rub his neck raw.

I just tried a mid-neck style, as I had read that that might work - but no go.

Anybody got any other suggestions?

Centaur makes a new, pretty unusual looking blanket with big shoulder gussets and a bib-type front. Maybe worth a shot? http://www.equestriancollections.com...FcRzMgoddAUAKw

I don't know if the neck opening would be big enough though. Hmm.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

What about blankets that are made specifically for halter horses? They would have that same "bulldog" build? Im trying to remember some of the makes of them - Big D was one of them ...

And if the blanket does fit reasonably well, but isn't perfect, consider trying a Bossy Bib - www.bossysbibs.com - which will prevent the shoulder rubs from happening

Good luck!

You could try a Riders International blanket from Dover. I tried some for my ponies and found the neck opening HUGE for them. It was like they just made the blanket smaller but left the neck opening the same as for the horse-size blankets.
    They are pretty good blankets, though - they work great on my horse-size horses, but just don't fit my ponies.

Maybe a Rambo QH in a 66"?

I'll look at the QH ones. His sheet is a riders international - and even with that I have the top strap on the loosest setting and the lower strap on a much tighter setting.

I like the Centaur - but it wont work for his neck....The rhino didn't work for the neck, and neither did the smartpack pony.

Or maybe I'll just do the Dover one and leave it wonky in the front w/ some undies on under it.....

I'll try and find the page, a gal on facebook is making blankets for ponies. She advertises on the used tack pages.

I can't swear by a price but I think she was advertising a medium weight custom for under $100 and guaranteed it for a year.

Back when my family was into halter horses, we did use some Big D, but usually it was cheaper and more practical to have our local leather guy make us a blanket. In our barn, their are a few older blankets, and still one of the favorites is at 90in with giant padded leather shoulder area outdoor blanket that was made for my moms big halter horse before I was born (pre 80's). The OTTBs can't destroy it for nothing.
    "Oh yeah baby, check out the movement of those hind legs"

I'd totally go for a reasonably priced custom!!! There are some made in Sweden for the bizarre icey conformation, but they are like $400!!!! Plus you have to have them shipped, and then they may or may not fit, and then......

If you can try a Turtleneck, do. They wear like iron, and fit my sortof oddly shaped Rocky Mtn Horse well. Also customer service is good so give'm a call

The Icelandic lady an hour away from me swears by Weaver and Big D for her Icelandics.

I have an Amigo Hero XL for my draftXmorgan whose neck ties in fairly low and it fits him great both in the neck and shoulders. the 72 is slightly long and hangs off his bum a bit, but i'd rather it hang off the back than be too tight in the chest.
    Curious about Trans* issues? Feel free to ask!
    Saving Pennies To Get My Own Canoe

I mistakenly purchased on of these turnouts from Schneiders for an Arabian:

http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets...-cutback-neck/

The neck opening was very big and the shoulders are extra long but adjustable. Way to much shoulder for the Arab that I had bought it for. Oh, also has a very long shoulder gusset which really helps prevent shoulder rubs.

chicamuxen