The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Default EHV1 outbreak information

My cousin in the cutting horse world just let me know that they had a huge outbreak of rhino they have traced back to a show in Ogden. According to her, many horses have already been put down. A major show scheduled to begin Monday has already been cancelled by producers. Anybody heard anything at multi discipline facilities?
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

About 3 1/2 years ago a strain of Rhino was making the rounds thru many TX shows.
    The U at Davis, CA was conducting an epidemiological study on Rhino then.
    One of our horses at a friends that is a trainer caught it, had neurological symptoms and got over it ok.
    His blood was sent to be tested as part of that study.
    Many were scared their broodmares may abort, but were careful enough to avoid transmitting it to them.

I am surprised that "many horses" had to be put down?

Yeah, the many horses put down thing shocked me. My cousin is hearing this through who knows how many people. Several animals ended up at CSU, which is why she told me. She knows I am looking for a new gymkhana pony and wanted to make sure I was careful. Gotta love family!

I was just putting it out here to see if anybody else had heard anything

Several years ago a friend had his horse at the vet. His groom, who also doubled as a foreman on his construction crew, overheard about a rhino outbreak. By the time my friend got back to the jobsite, all the guys were talking about the rhinocerous loose in Middleburg!

Last I heard, only 2 horses had been euthanized due to the Herpes Virus. Quarter Horse News is very good at keeping up with news like this: http://quarterhorsenews.com/index.ph...g-horses-.html

NCHA is staying very on top of this outbreak. I do know of several quarantined facilities at this time.
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Per the Utah Horse Council yesterday, two cases confirmed by Colorado State Vet, one euthanized. Indeed traced to the Golden Spike Event Center in Ogden.

Not 'many' or 'several.' Two cases, one death. Certainly a serious incident but it's good to try to keep it accurate.

See UHC facebook post at:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=31339951957

I hope it stays at 2 cases and one death. Thank you for the correction. So very sad for everyone involved

Default EHV 1?

There's an outbreak in our area, anyone dealt with this before?

Where are you? I received this today.

===================================
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    May 13, 2011
    Contact: Christi Lightcap, (303) 239-4190, Christi.lightcap@ag.state.co.us

Equine Herpesvirus Confirmed in Two Colorado Horses
    LAKEWOOD, Colo. – The Colorado Department of Agriculture is investigating two confirmed cases of Equine Herpesvirus (EHV-1) within the state. Two quarantines have been placed on two Weld County premises.
    One horse was euthanized after showing severe neurological signs associated with the disease and the second horse is currently under observation in a biosecure location.
    “The Department is taking quick and appropriate actions to control and mitigate this disease,” said State Veterinarian, Dr. Keith Roehr. “We will continue to trace the movement of these horses and those horses they came into contact with in order to protect Colorado’s equine industry.”
    Both diagnosed horses had recently attended the National Cutting Horse Association’s Western National Championships in Ogden, Utah. The Colorado Department of Agriculture is working with the Utah State Veterinarian to investigate the location as a point of interest for the infection.
    EHV-1 is not transmissible to people; it can be a serious disease of horses that can cause respiratory, neurologic disease and death. The most common way for EHV-1 to spread is by direct horse-to-horse contact. The virus can also spread through the air, contaminated equipment, clothing and hands.
    Symptoms include fever, decreased coordination, nasal discharge, urine dribbling, loss of tail tone, hind limb weakness, leaning against a wall or fence to maintain balance, lethargy, and the inability to rise. While there is no cure, the symptoms of the disease may be treatable.
    Additional Resources:

* A Guide To Understanding the Neurologic Form of EHV Infection
    * USDA Animal Plant Health Inspection Service Resources
    * American Assoc. of Equine Practitioners Fact Sheet

I'm in Idaho

Sounds as if a few horses in Idaho were exposed at the same show in Ogden, Utah.

http://www.idahocha.com/articles/in-...hv-1-outbreak/

The NCSA is canceling some shows:

http://www.nchacutting.com/

I heard today that a horse died (last Thursday I think?_ at a cutting (that had also been at the one in Utah) about 5hrs south of me, and that two other horses have since died. No horses are going on or off of my property until there is a better grip on this. I know horses in my area that did go to that show...

My horses are locked down for the time being. No horses in or out.
    Last edited by Dressage_Diva333; May. 16, 2011 at 01:42 AM.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Yes, I boarded at the hot zone for one of the outbreaks in CA a few years ago. 2 horses from the stable died from it. A third was pretty sick, but survived. As soon as we knew, we quarantined the barn, no horses in or out, no non essential visitors.... Everyone used biosecurity practices (foot baths, booties, gloves etc...) Horses had their temperature monitored twice a day. Any horses with fevers were tested. The outbreak was contained to the three horses. We were quarantined for quite a while, but got through it without losing any more horses.....
    Turn off the computer and go ride!

Here is the latest from Idaho Equine

http://www.idahoequinehospital.com/blog/

The Quarter horse article cited above by bugsynskeeter indicates there were 3 horses with confirmed cases. Two have been euthanized and one is in quarantine.
    Last edited by HeartsongHorses; May. 16, 2011 at 02:33 AM. Reason: added bit about QH article

There was a very small outbreak in PA about 2 and 1/2 years ago. I believe two horses were put down at a barn very close to ours. Then we found out one of our boarders had gone to the infected farm for a lesson the week prior. So we put the farm in voluntary lockdown. No shows, no trail riding, and no one in or out including lesson people as they could bring something home on their clothing. We were lucky and no horses ever got sick at our property. We kept the quarantine up for 40 days.

2 horses that were at Ogden returned to Bakersfield, CA. At a show there, one horse died and the other went to UC Davis, and recovered.

I'm seeing the panic build already. One vet refused to drive on to Ted Robinson's property, because he had just returned from that show in B'field. The vet met him at the edge of the property, gave him meds, and left.
    When people show you who they truly are, believe them. Maya Angelou

in surfing the net.. it looks like they just had a couple barns on the east coast that just came off quarantine about the same time this started. In reading further looks to be in wyo,colo,arizona ,calif,washington and Idaho also western Canada..so far... lots of shows canceled..

Canada has closed borders as far as horses going in for now also

My childhood pony had neurologic EHV-1 and lived through it, circa 1998. She spent a week in intensive care at VA Tech where they piped her full of experimental AIDS drugs via a spinal tap. She recovered nearly fully, but afterwards would colic periodically, the vets guessed from decreased motility in her ability to move food through her system as a result of the EHV-1. She died 6 years later on the colic surgery table.

Take this very seriously. My pony picked up the EHV at a horse show where we showed off the trailer, went to the ring, and took her back to the trailer. She did not have contact with other horses and was not in a stall. We did not even graze her that day as we had 4 horses showing and didn't have time -- she got off the trailer, warmed up, did her 2 jumper rounds nearly back to back (last horse in one class, first in next) walked her for a few minutes to cool her out, wrapper her and put her back on the trailer with a big haynet and water bucket. Maybe a horse sneezed near her, or the water hose we used to fill our buckets was contaminated, or -- who knows. But it is not at all hard to transmit.

None of our other horses got sick. We did our best to disinfect/isolate her once we knew what she had. She was vaccinated but the vaccine is supposedly not effective against the neurologic type.

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage_Diva333 View Post
    I heard today that a horse died (last Thursday I think?_ at a cutting (that had also been at the one in Utah)
    What I've heard: Two horses who were at the Utah show went to the Kern County Cutting Association's 5/13/11 Show and became sick. One was euthanized at the show, the other was taken to UC Davis for treatment. Neither has yet been confirmed with EHV-1. Even so, the VCHA Super Show for this coming weekend (5/21-22) at the same venue was cancelled.

WSU in washington has 1 case and has put the med center on quarantene there.. there has been 2 in idaho suspected cases 2 in kern county calif and others in wyo mt and western canada all suspected also arizona so far but most are just suspected cases Calif,Wa and colo confirmed