The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Discuss this nonsense for me.

Scenario: Riders can't get the most veteran horses around events? I'm thinking of two riders in particular, who are supplied with "fresh new start" horses on a regular basis by the parent. 2* minimum packer horses, that have solid history at packing amateurs around. It makes me doubt whether they should be at that level, but that's just me.

I'm not looking to start fights here, but when it seems to be a continuing problem...

I'm thinking in particular of this season, and of Jersey.

On a different note, I am so happy for Katie on getting Donald solidly around Jersey. What a wonderful first event back after Kentucky. Also so happy for Jodi Hemry. Kadi Eykamp seems to be totally on track, too. I texted her already, but shoutout for that.

Off to ride my mule now.

Wow, really tacky!

If you're talking about spoiled kids/teens that are given capable, talented horses that they simply cannot handle/keep up with/or just straight up ride properly, you have not found a unique situation. I'm sure everyone has atleast seen, if not actually know one such person.

I know of a girl who rides jumpers that has been through over 12 horses in less than 10 years... and she's 18. She is trying to be successful at level 2/3 jumpers and cannot do it despite the expensive, imported WB's her parents keep dragging in. Is it due to her riding? I'd bet some money on it.

Do I really care though? No. It's her loss. Why do you care? Yes, I suppose it is a problem, and a common enough one, but as long as people aren't hurting the horses than really there's nothing that can be done. Don't get your undies in a bundle about it.
    Tru : April 14, 1996 - March 14, 2011
    Thank you for everything boy.

Better View.

On a different note, just was watching some of the xc footage, looks like the 3*** and the water complex really looked to catch a lot of people out. Tricky arrowhead as the last element. Anyone walk the course or there?? Looks pretty wet out there too! Excited though for our BC girls, Rebecca, Lisa Marie and Hawley. All doing a great job!

If those riders are getting regular help and advice from a good trainer (and listening to that advice) and are lucky/weathly/whatever enough to be mounted on suitable, experienced horses, then they probably are interested in improving their riding skills and are working on it.
    What's the problem?
    I evented just for the Halibut.

The only problem I can see is that in H/J land the falls are less likely to be fatal. XC can be fatal for horse or rider.
    Therefore to follow that logic path if a rider continues to ride above their level and their packer horse is still unable to save their butt does there come a point of the crash and burn that is fatal to horse or rider? To the outside world it is just one more confirmation that eventing is too dangerous.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I say God bless the horses for having the good sense to stop before someone gets hurt.

People get into this sport for different reasons. People with more money than talent buying toys that they are not qualified to use is nothing new, nor unique to equestrian sports.

The sad thing, of course, is the using up of good horses as these people indulge their self-absorption.

No cure, no solution will be found by hashing over it on COTH. But I will be happy to give a home to a going 2* horse that is fed up packing some idiot around Intermediate. This idiot would only ask it to pack her around Training level.
    Click here before you buy.

The concept of buying one's way to the top is not new in Eventing or any other discipline for that matter.
    It simply is more likely to be an option for the H/J, and Dressage worlds.
    Have observed it several times over many yrs in the Eventing world.
    It just doesn't work, very unfortunate as there are so many true ULR's who are under mounted due to lack of resources

Problem is, Delta, most of these horses get broken by their riders in the quest for glory.
    It's an old complaint with nothing new brought to the table, IMO.

Can anyone try and find something nice to say about eventing each and every spring CCI season? Looking over these subjects on the board, it is all about how terrible life is. Depressing. We need another happy thread soon.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

Happy doesn't make headlines.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I say God bless the horses for having the good sense to stop before someone gets hurt.

People get into this sport for different reasons. People with more money than talent buying toys that they are not qualified to use is nothing new, nor unique to equestrian sports.

The sad thing, of course, is the using up of good horses as these people indulge their self-absorption.

No cure, no solution will be found by hashing over it on COTH. But I will be happy to give a home to a going 2* horse that is fed up packing some idiot around Intermediate. This idiot would only ask it to pack her around Training level.
    Horse #1, Gibstar. #2, Artesian. Just two of about 15.

Quote Originally Posted by Yance View Post
    from a quick search of those 2 horses you don't seem to be making your point (though I did not look at the extended history just did a quick usea search) but neither of those horses had extensive upper level experience before going with their current riders...so im not really sure what point you are trying to make??

I have to say it again...the OP is being extremely tacky. This does not seem like a thread on rider safety, but more like lets crucify the "spoiled" kids thread. Are they perfect? No. But both Strinis have done quite well on different horses. Argue with me if you want...but you are only feeding the troll.

Quote Originally Posted by retreadeventer View Post
    Looking over these subjects on the board, it is all about how terrible life is. Depressing. We need another happy thread soon.
    My horsey has decided it's fun to carry herself and use her hiney! That makes me happy!!

Now back to our regularly scheduled griping.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    That was my thought, too.

It's the people having falls on course who worry me more.

I know people competing lower levels with horrific nerves. Riding packers who stop if they goof, rather than be unsafe jumping. Love the horses. And their riders know if they stop, it's due to rider error. Teaches them their lessons safely. (And the riders are fine schooling above the level they're competing - just get crippled by nerves.)

I've repeatedly heard that green horse +green rider is a bad way to go about things if there's any other option. I don't think that buying a made horse and claiming all credit for its training is the way to get to the top, but anyone who CAN buy an upper level horse and ride it? In my mind, good for them. (And good for the horses for stopping when things aren't right!)
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Quote Originally Posted by Yance View Post
    First off, get your facts right -
    Artesian was a five year old who only ever competed at the training level, thus in no way a "two star packer"
    Gibstar completed a two star in NZ over two years ago, now going prelim with the younger sister, whats the problem?

By looking at the results, yes jersey was a bad weekend for the older Strini sister, but don't bad weekends happen to every event rider? Oudo - her three star horse - she's had since he was a 6 year old, so she's produced him from the training level to the advanced level, pretty impressive for any rider to do so.
    The younger Strini, Benita, seems to have had a great weekend at Jersey - she completed her first CCI** with Carlingford's Merlot, and it was his FIRST CCI** as well, so in no way is he a "complete CCI** packer" either.

The girls other other horses, Ideal Contini - Lucia's other horse, is a very talented grey who's had some great intermediate xc rounds this spring and seems to have just recently hit a rough spot, again doesn't this happen to everyone in eventing?!
    Petit Filou, Benita's mare, is a 7 year old who only competed at the training level before this spring when Benita moved her up to preliminary, the pair have yet to have a xc fault.

Yes, many young riders now a days (the strinis, Nina Ligon, Arden Wildasen, Caroline Martin, to name a few) have a string of horses to compete, but who are we to judge?

Also, it is important to remember that when you bash one of these young riders you are also bashing their coaches, such as Kim Severson, William Coleman, and Phillip Dutton.

I strongly feel that one of the best things about Eventing is the sense of community, so why would we want to destroy that with bashing of young riders? These young riders are all great horsewomen and should get the support from the eventing community rather than being subjected to the horrific bashing present in this forum.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Sigh. The kids have the money and the horses, and KS doesn't. Life just isn't fair.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

But the real question is, who's got the shovel?

Not sure what Yance's problem is with the Strini girls. They have always been lovely kids and now great young adults. Yes, their family has money but so do many other people who event. You need to get over it because they is always going to be someone out there that has bigger, better stuff than you do or more of it. The only thing in life that you can change is yourself, not other people.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Quote Originally Posted by kkindley View Post
    My horsey has decided it's fun to carry herself and use her hiney! That makes me happy!!

Now back to our regularly scheduled griping.
    YAY! Congrats!
    Can your mare call mine on the phone and have this discussion? Mine is still in the "when necessary or a fall will ensue, or when I'm in the mood". SUCH a beautiful ride when she does though......hoping for the same consistent result as you in time.

And yes, we are hijacking, or this thread will go on forever and Eeyore will take over as OP.

Life isn't fair people! Lets be thankful we have horses in our lives AND can ride. Bigger problems out there than who has more privilege. The situation is FAR worse for many horses in the world as well. Sad, but true.