The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Kitchen renovations and the dog?

I'm going to be getting my kitchen completely renovated soon - will be a six week process. My dog is a 13 year old lab/beagle mix, and is crated upstairs in our bedroom during the day while we are working. She's also getting fairly hard of hearing. My question is what to do with her with her during the renovations. There will be quite a bit of noise and banging, and even though she is hard of hearing, she is not deaf. She will be hearing and feeling the renovation, but not seeing anything as she will be upstairs. I thought about doggie daycare, but they don't open until 8, and I need to be to work around 6:30 (and it's an hour drive). Plus she gets stressed when she is boarded. I was thinking about moving her crate downstairs so that she can see what is going on, and that might make it a bit less stressful...or would that be more stressful?

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated!

Can you call the remodeling company and ask if any of them are dog people? If they are and could at least talk to beagle and give small treats so she learns to associate LOUD noises with cookies that might help.

I had a litter of puppies in the house when I was have my rewiring done and the electrician and his helper got so attached to the little buggers, they learned to carry them safely out and put them in the Xpen in the afternoons when the cherry tree shaded them
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

It would be helpful if you could be there at least part of the time when the demo starts. Let the dog see and hear what is happening and gauge its reaction. I suspect she wont care too much (with that breeding she will probably wonder if these guys have food!) Then put her in her crate in her room. My thnking is that she needs to know what all the noise is about, then she likely wont worry. Never letting her see might create anxiety about what it is. Keeping her near the action might be too noisy and too much stimulus. Good luck!

We just went through a major kitchen remodel with an older, hard of hearing dog. (Not a beagle, FWIW.) He isn't crated in the daytime, but he didn't pay the slightest bit of attention to the destruction and rebuilding of the kitchen. He slept through almost all of it, strolling in only occasionally to see what was happening.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

We had a new bathroom done two years ago, and a new roof put on last summer and my dog (around 10, getting a little hard of hearing, a collie mix who reacts to everything) was pretty okay with both - she barked sometimes, but since the strange people and noises were there for 5-7 hours for multiple days, she got resigned to most of it. She did have some of the family home for both, though; I'd have worried more if she was going to be alone, so sympathy to the OP! If possible, I'd stay home for the first day or morning, to make sure she was tolerating it, and to reassure her.

Thanks for the tips...I'll take a day or two of leave and stay home to get her adjusted. She isn't necessarily a nervous type, but I'm sure she's going to be wondering what the heck is going on!!